6-way speaker cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm making some 3-way active speakers; many people build in the amps but for various reasons I've decided to have them separate, so I will need some 3-pair/6-core speaker cable. (I 'could' use three separate pairs but I want to use a single multi-way speakon connector per speaker so it would be neater to use multi-way cable too).

My best option seems to be multi-stranded trailer/caravan cable, which is available reasonably cheaply at either 0.65mm^2 or 1.5mm^2 (roughly 19AWG and ~15.5AWG respectively) and is not too fat or stiff. I 'was' hoping to have the cables very short, but now its looking like the amps will have to be several meters away for WAF, so presumably the larger size cable would be best.

Or is that sort of cable a terrible idea for some reason?

Cheers
Kev

Thanks chaps, all very reassuring; I think I'll go for it then.

Chris/KatieandDad, yes the plan is indeed to use the 8-pole speakon connectors with this trailer cable. It seems a lot cheaper (and easier to find) than the ready made 8-way speakon cables, though I'm sure they're superior in some ways.

Cheers
Kev

Interestingly, I'd done some searches before posting and noticed a few other people using cat5/6 cable for speaker cable, too. Unfortunately I'm struggling to be comfortable with smaller gauges for the power side of things - though I realise thats probably more a reflection on my own ignorance and uncertainties than it is on the actual capability of the cable.

Cheers
Kev

No Kev your thoughts are right. Most people using cat5 double up on the pairs to gain effective capacity, but you wouldn't have that option. Even if you did, networking cable is not suited to speaker cable.

How so not suitable?! Have many years experience using ethernet cable for just this purpose. Prior to that began with my father telling me a few truths about "audiophile" and real world measurements. That was nearly 40 years ago. It's not that I think it's ok for audio from an audiophiles perspective but from that of an EE with a background in test and measurement, power distribution, control systems and RF communications piled on top of pro audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.