• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

6.3VAC to 6.3VDC LDO supplies MIC5156 based tube amp upgrade.

I sold five modules of the last batch of ten, 5 remaining.

Cheers,
V4LVE.

Attachments

• LDO REG BATCH.jpg
    LDO REG BATCH.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 114
Sorry for asking very basic questions:
So these are adjustable voltage 5156 based regulators, with essentially zero voltage drop, and can supply up to 2.5 A?
What is the actual voltage drop?
At what ambient temperature can these provide the 2.5 A? - (I had briefly looked at low forward voltage diodes/bridges, and the ones I found seemed to be continuously derated for ambient above 25 °C. I'd like to power two 6L6GC at 6.3V 0.9 A each, with ambient probably around 50 °C.)
And what is the size of the module? 50 x 100 x ? mm
Do they need any additional external voltage, besides the e.g. 6.3 V AC? - found the schematic in an earlier post, doesn't seem so.
Can this board be set up for constant current mode?

If there is another thread answering these questions (or others I should ask but forgot... ;)), please point me there.

Last edited:
Voltage drop is 50mV/A. I would have to run the specs on the diode derating at different ambient temperatures, but Ive never had diode failure reported in over 50 modules sold.

These are adjustable 5156 regulators, voltage drop is near zero, depends on the On resistance of the fet, but lower than 50mOhm .

I wouldnt go over 60C ambient temperatures at 2.5A DC out or you may overstress the diodes.

Sixe is 50x100mm and about 38mm high excluding stand offs M4.

No additional voltage needed except for the single input AC, these modules cannot run off DC cause of the way the drive voltage for the FET is made.

This is a constant voltage board.

Cheers,
V4LVE

The next batch is almost certain, ive ordered the last 15,000uF 10V caps available from my supplier, so i will be doing another run of 10 boards in the future.

You can PM me if you are interested. I asked some previous buyers to write about their experience using these modules here.

Cheers,
V4LVE

I love these boards. I'm currently using one each in a pair of octal Aikido preamps I built for friends. They sound excellent. In combination with Neurochrome Maida boards, these preamps are DEAD quiet and sound just great. My next plan is to build a pair of 300B amps and use the boards for the 300B filaments. Looking forward to dead-silent operation! :)

That's the idea, yes. Instead of having to add an extra transformer for the 300B filaments, you'd use a standard 6.3 volt tap to drive both the input tube and the 300B (though the regulator board). This would also float the input tube's filaments at 60-80 vdc, which would be perfect for an SRPP-style driver. The catch is that any regulated supply for the 300B has to sound good and I think these boards will achieve that goal.

I've tested these boards to DC power 6AS7G heaters from 6.3V AC. The heatsink does get warm but it's no small feat considering the 2.5A of current.
I'm planning to use a pair to feed Coleman 2A3 regulators from 6.3V windings, something not trivial to accomplish in a small package.