54v - 0 - -54v DC class d amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a dead onkyo 504. I am planning to do an amp kit in it.
Basically its a 37v - 0 - 37v AC supply, so I 54v DC output.

I'd like it to be nice sounding and be able to drive hard loads and be stable @ maybe 2ohm or so, absolute power isn't that critical.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks.
srinath.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you have the trafo and caps in dead Onkyo, by all means use it - the case is nice too as that is pricey to make.

This is what I use, and they actually sound really good. Very low distortion and a true 200w if you have a 53v dual rail supply capable of the current.

YJ IRS2092 200W Class D Amp Mono Amplifier Board YJ-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Abraxalito has some suggested mods of adding 10uF or bigger bypass caps onto the analog power rails of the tiny SMT IRS2092 IC.

The cabinet and binding posts etc I'll use, but only if I can truly build it in the chassis. I would have to try to separate where the input is, and if its all coming in in 1 location, as in all the different inputs all get to the amp board in this connector.
If not, I think I may just take it out of the chassis. I have a few other dead amps too. In fact the other one also is an onkyo that nearly is fully gutted.
I would have to see, I am yet to finish a kit amp I started years ago. The top needs to be made, and I've just waffled on it for years. But that guy is a standalone power amp, and it looks like a carver m1.0 and sounds like a Pioneer sx950 or close enough.

Anyway I will have to start on these - I modded a sharp cd7700 and did a wood face for it, I like that flat metal or wood face front. However the full chassis and binding posts and those get $$$$ fast. If the face is useful, I'll keep it, but if its just a dummy, like the display and volume and whatnot don't mean nothing, I'll probably just fit a wood face on it and call it a day.

Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.