5 Most Used Applications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess I'm not a typical user.

1) IE or Firefox depending....IE will not play 4K videos on Youtube Firefox will.
2) Eagle 5.11 I can't support their new business (extortion) model
3) LTsipce
4) Ableton Live
5) MS Office 2007 with Visio, hey it's paid for and it still works

6) Cakewalk Sonar (now owned by Gibson)
7) Nikon View, another oldie but goodie, basic photo editor
8) Waveforms 2015 draw the waveform, it will make it and Analog Discovery will play it.
9) Audacity.....turn that waveform into a WAV and load it into a synth module
10) Arduino IDE
11) Arturia V collection 5 virtual analog synthesizer collection
12) Axoloti editor

as others have noted - only 5?

1) W7 Pro - no choice really, other than not updating to W10 and beyond until absolutely necessary - work desktop, and personal laptop
2) Intuit Quickbooks Enterprise - easiest to use and most flexible integrated accounting / inventory / payroll package I've encountered in 30yrs in this job - and when you pay over $330/month for software support due to required semi-annual tax table updates, the service is stellar.

3) MS Office 2010 - no really complaints, really - Quickbooks will only work with this suite
4) Firefox - at home and work
5) KNKX mobile streamer on iPhone / iPad

6) iOS10.3.2 - wife and I each have iPad / iPhone
7) IE11 - at work, and only under extreme duress for the two work functions with will not play nice with Thunderbird
8) Chrome / Firefox browser for iOS devices (much prefer to Safari)
9) MacOS - (Sierra, perhaps after last iMac hardware upgrade?)
10) Thunderbird (home iMac)
11) iTunes & Remote
12) AutoSketch 2.1 (circa 1998 - will only work now in Windows XP in VM mode) - can draw faster and certainly more accurately than by hand

W7 Pro - no choice really, other than not updating to W10 and beyond until absolutely necessary

As I recently found out, None of the new 7th generation Intel Core i3, i5, and i7 chips will work with W7. MS has refused to supply updates necessary for the new cores, so W10 or Linux are now the only choices.

The 7th generation chips are anything with a 7 in the first digit (Core i3 7XXX, Core i5 7XXX or Core i7 7XXX) , or anything called "Kaby Lake."

No reliable word on the new Core i9 chips W7 compatibility yet.

As I recently found out, None of the new 7th generation Intel Core i3, i5, and i7 chips will work with W7. MS has refused to supply updates necessary for the new cores, so W10 or Linux are now the only choices.

The 7th generation chips are anything with a 7 in the first digit (Core i3 7XXX, Core i5 7XXX or Core i7 7XXX) , or anything called "Kaby Lake."

No reliable word on the new Core i9 chips W7 compatibility yet.

Haven't tried it, as my machines are all really old, but there's this:

Chap 'fixes' Microsoft's Windows 7 and 8 update block on new CPUs • The Register

those of you running Windows 7 or 8.x will still get security updates until those OSes reach end-of-life, but won't get other fixes.

Yes, MS now provides SECURITY updates for W7, and W7 works fine on my Sky Lake PC, but the code to run the new features built into Kaby Lake chips was never written for (or ported to) W7.

Drivers for newer flash drives, enhanced USB, the advanced on chip video and wireless aren't there either. There are more features that I can't remember that are lost with W7. I tried W7 and the computer will boot, but WiFi and Ethernet were dead. My USB CD ROM didn't work either, but works fine on W10.

Kaby Lake is a socket 1151 chip, same as Sky Lake but I believe it requires a H270 or Z270 support chip. The older 170 and 110 chips are allegedly not supported either.

I got a Kaby Lake Core I7 because they make one that will run on 25 watts. I built a "box PC" that will run on a laptop brick or for 3 hours on batteries, total consumption 45 watts at idle, 70 maxed out with 8 threads of Prime 95. 10 WPC of audio rocks those tiny Tang Band speakers, and external speakers can be used. Plug in a USB music keyboard and guitar interface for a full DAW, virtual amp sim and software synthesizer set.

Still in its ugly test box until I get the form factor sorted out.

Attachments

• P1100563_x.jpg
    P1100563_x.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.