5.5 inch midrange driver or 2 inch dome midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Midrange cones Vs Domes

Hi All,

I have not had a lot experience with domes, midranges or tweeters as I have never heard any I liked enough to buy... But I did have an old pair of ATC passive 3 ways about 8 years an ago with blown bass drivers ( he used a bass guitar on them!) and I salvaged the midranges which were in good shape.

Long story shortened, used in sealed box cabinets, they were no better than the midrange on the 10 inch Volt BM 2500.4 when using an active crossover ( DBX at that time) to cover the 500Hz to 2KHz band.
They were demoted to the storage box for a few years then I had the chance to compare them in a 3 way against the PHL 8 inch midrange http://www.phlaudio.com/datasheets/20_pdf/2540.pdf
covering 400Hz to 3KHz...The PHL were sooooo much more natural and textured with lovely decay on strings, this was a surprize to me!
It was a no brainer on percussion and or high SPL, the PHL's were simply in another world never mind league.....

The best results for the 8 inch PHL’s in my 3 ways ( Beyma 12LX60 bass / PHL mids / Beyma TPL AMT Tweeter- DEQX crossover) was 200Hz up to 2KHz, boy they were lovely…As far as single drivers go it’s the best I have ever heard over that critical band. At low volume the Manger Driver does sound more natural but has nothing like the dynamics and power handling…On percussion or even piano the PHL is by far the most lifelike over that band.

I Have not tried the slightly smaller PHL midranges http://www.phlaudio.com/datasheets/17_pdf/1040_1050.pdf
but if you need to cover the 500 to 5KHz band they are the ones I'd try first.

Hope this helps
Derek.

Are you considering baffle step loss when calculating this?

Good point. In small/slim 3-ways this can be a problem, reducing maximum level to 94 dB. Then I would cross at 300 Hz or even higher.

In bigger 3-ways (e. g. having a 10" woofer) the baffle step is half on its way, if not almost done. There 200 Hz will be no problem. Remember that the level at crossover is already 3 to 6 dB down, depending on your xover type.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.