5.25" speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My problem is this. I have recently bought a pair of speakers off of my roomate. They are floor standing speakers that contain a 15" sub(Mtx brand), a 5.25" mid range, and i just bought two new tweeters with horns(not sure on the brand though, possibly dispersion?). Any way i have been looking all over for a 5.25 mid range with black grill cover and i cant find one anywhere. Any advice on a good one? Not looking to spend to much money either, used could be a possibility.

thanks,
Andy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well you can do that but it might not sound as good because each XO is designed specific to the drivers. If you can find a midrange that is a close match it might do. There's nothing stopping you from trying. You've already bought new tweeters without recgard for the XO so what's it going to hurt if you throw a mid in there? It's a good place to get your feet wet. Besides if something doesn't go that well, you can start from scratch and design something better. We all started somewhere friend.

Cal

A speaker with a 15 in. MTX screams homemade! My suggestion is that you remove the 5.25 mid, look at the back for any make/model number and ask Parts Express for suitable replacement.
My guess is that the mid is enclosed in some plastic can, and you should easely find a replacement for around $10.
It's obvious that it's not a high end piece of gear, but it will do the job.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.