• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4P1L DHT Line Stage

With the Rod Coleman regulators you can easily dial the current down to starve filaments at 550mA and with the silent blocks there is no issue at all with the microphonic feedback. You can get just an initial random "ding" when warming up the valves :)

http://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/2014/04/21/4p1l-dht-preamp-siberian-gen3-finished/

Cheers
Ale

Hi Ale...

I can have a very little, When I skip number.. But I need to play very very
loud. Plus I'm playing directly "into" my Speakers....

Again not an issue at all.

/Michael.

Hello
Like to know how the right way is to wire the volume pot

On the Gen3 is the input wire mounted to the regulator pin on the volume

i have mounted my regulator pin direkt to pin 6 on the tube

what is the right way to wire the volume ??

Why do my volume get loud when i just turn wery little on it ?

i have just make the 4P1L to play...the sound is better than i have hope for

best Bjarne

4P1L Screen Mode

I'm waiting for my shipment. While collecting info, I stumbled upon Weird pentode connections thread that got me thinking, since the 4P1L max screen current is rated at 10mA, there is a viable option to operate it as a true triode by taking output from G2. Both G3 and Anode are grounded and act as a shield. By selecting Ig2 bias at ~5mA, we can readily use the chokes and other loads suitable for the #26. The prospect to be able to listen to a wire anode really picked my curiosity, it may share some sonic signature to the mesh plates, or even a uniquely different signature altogether. Any experience, comments or pitfalls to avoid?

Attachments

• 4P1L Screen Mode.GIF
    4P1L Screen Mode.GIF
    6.2 KB · Views: 954
Hi Indra, To reduce the Anode (now - was the screen) current to 5mA, the bias probably needs to be much greater than filament bias into 8 ohm..

If you use ordinary cathode bias to see if it works properly, the job will be quick to perform, and you can re-calculate for filament bias later. If you have the trafo, why not give it a try?

Hi JLH, thanks for the interesting article.

Hi Rod, thanks for the suggestion, you could be right. I was using this curve as a guide, but there is quite a bit of variation on Ig2 curves on several datasheets. Unfortunately I still need to wait for the shipment of the tubes to confirm.

Attachments

• 4P1L Characteristic.gif
    4P1L Characteristic.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
Hi Rongon,
Yes, I expect "plate resistance" is at ~7-10k on G2 output connection with G3 grounded, should be a bit lower if output taken from G2+G3. However, many in this thread already have the transformer or choke suitable for the #26 (~8k Rp) pre amp.

Last edited:
Hello
Need some help to reduce hum and buzzz--in my 4P1L pre

My 4p1L use Maida regulator for highvolt---Rod coleman for heater---50k volume pot---Lundahl 2745 40ma trafo for output

my version is Gen 3 Bartola

Star earth ---from volume..highvolt sekundare side...from 15ohm bias resistor

trafo is in a seperate box--together with diode and caps to highvolt

so the highvolt is 275vdc to Maida regulator

20vac to Coleman---from trafo in same box as the highvolt

150vdc from Lundahl trafo to Anode

8,7vdc over the 15ohm bias resistor

noise the same without input to volume (no influence from volume)

But still have hum and buzz...can only hear it without music---but can hear it on 3 meter from speaker---

I will try to take some picture..but need help to do that-(i will ask a friend )

best Bjarne

hi Bjarne,

Some check points:

- Signal-Chassis only connected to 0V at one place, near input-0V

- PSU cap after rectifier should not be connected to 0V directly - connect to the next PSU cap, and only then to 0V/chassis.

- Grid Wiring should be short (preferably, <100mm). If it is longer, shielded cable may help.

You can measure the ac-noise voltage with a meter, or preferably a scope. Measure filament, and the anode supply voltage for noise.

Yes, a photo will help.

Hi Rod
My signal wire from volume to tube is about 25cm long...Is that what you call grid wire ?

My star earth have no connection to chassic,,and placed around 15cm from input (only one star point )

none of my highvolt caps have connection to ground...(after rectifier- cap -resistor-cap-resistor---and then to Maida regulator..--Minus from Maida then goes to star earth

best bjarne

Hi Rod
My signal wire from volume to tube is about 25cm long...Is that what you call grid wire ?

My star earth have no connection to chassic,,and placed around 15cm from input (only one star point )

none of my highvolt caps have connection to ground...(after rectifier- cap -resistor-cap-resistor---and then to Maida regulator..--Minus from Maida then goes to star earth

best bjarne

Bjarne, yes 250mm of input cable needs to be screened - this can be enough to give humm.

Connect the screen at the input end, leave the other end unconnected.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
It would be best if you draw on a piece of paper exactly all the connections, grounding, signal, etc.; take a picture with your phone and post it here. It's very difficult to know what exactly you have done and give you advice on such vague descriptions.

Hi Barjne,
As per Iko and Rod's suggestions, AC-noise/FFT measurements and a picture of the actual wiring will help here as the circuit is well known.

Just an additional suggestion: I'd also try not to ground the secondary winding and leave it floating. If your amplifier input has the ground connected to earth (hopefully at the input connection) you may experience a ground loop with the preamp. Just do this quick test to discard this potential source of hum in the 4P1L preamp

Cheers
Ale