47 Labs OTA, a cheap alternative?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, this is the wire...

Attachments

• hd10.jpg
    hd10.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 400
I have to state that when this cable was measured on the floor the capacitance rised only a dozen picofarads.
It seems inconsequent to performance, at "loudspeaker level", if the values remain constant. However, it´s while the music is playing that the capacitance needs to be measured. I don´t know how to do it this way, but one thing is for sure: if a rythmic pressure is done to the cable, capacitance arises and decreases accordingly as the PVC jacket is very soft and the wires are pressed against each other. Given that the ever-changing values in capacitance interfere with high frequencies, if we could isolate the cable from the pressure of sound waves we would achieve a much steadier image, I think.
Even if the variations occur at higher than 20 KHz I know from my experiences with analogue synthesizers that certain sine-waves ( single harmonics) interactions at any range produce results a few octaves down.
So, all this to conclude that the cable could be bettered if it went through another jacket before the fancy Techflex. A split wire loom, which is robust and flexible at the same time springed to mind. I tried a Legrand polypropilene here that would be perfect if it hadn´t a bigger internal diameter.

Hoping I´m not hijacking this thread as this is still a cheap alternative to the OTA cable...

Here´s the on-line version of the cable survey where you´ll find the HD-14.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/147/cable_survey2.html

Home Depot HD-14G
est. $30 per 50-foot pair with terminations
Okay, the model designation is my own invention, standing for H (Home) D (Depot) 14G(auge) outdoor extension cord. Otherwise, this entry is no joke. Like several other cables, it comes in a decorative jacket, here of striking orange and black, evocative of Halloween; unlike the others, you must snip off its AC connectors and attach terminations of choice (I used Pomona bananas). The HD-14G rendered Murray Perahia’s piano in a big bold manner, lacking just a little in finesse and ultimate transparency. It threw an image on Jacintha’s “Something’s Gotta Give” with the best—one note reads, “some of the best depth of any cable”—with tuneful bass, notably good height, and a quite lifelike projection. On the Rachmaninoff, it didn’t sound as “fast,” transparent, controlled, or defined in the bass as the better cables, but it wasn’t far behind them either, and it was always highly listenable and involving, with a big-boned, robust presentation that flattered the Appalachian Spring sonics. As for detail, well, it allowed me to hear every piano chord that bleeds through Jacintha’s headphones at the beginning of “Danny Boy” (Autumn Leaves); more detail than that you don’t need.
I’ll leave the last observation to the most technically knowledgeable, musically literate, and experienced of my listening group: “You know what’s really good about this cable? It sounds totally unscrewed around with.” If its half-inch thickness isn’t macho enough, Home Depot also sells a 12-gauge for half again that sum, and a 10-gauge for about twice the price, both in less attractive yellow-and-black jackets. If you still think I’m kidding, know that Tony Faulkner—engineer of about a third of the best-sounding orchestral recordings of the last twenty years—used the Black-and-Decker equivalent to hook up his Quad 989s at the recent Heathrow Show in England—“They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me”—and that the designer of what is by provable standards one of the half dozen or so most accurate loudspeakers ever made uses and recommends it all the time.

(Taken from link above)

Just a general comment about speaker cables and IC's. I'm not usually drawn into debates about so called boutique or exotica, though I'm certain that there is an element of audiophoolery involved when it comes down to justifying the sometimes obscene amounts of money spent particularly on cables. I really don't buy into most of it. Heretical I know but...

Like most on this forum I enjoy the satisfaction of making stuffand spending bugger all in the process, though I'm not averse to spending up where I can see appropriate value.

That said I've been checking out Gainclone derivatives and currently have a set of parts sat sitting in a draw for when I get round it. Eventually I got to checking the various reviews and stumbled upon 47Labs Stratos speaker cable at silly money per foot, and when I found that the stuff has a solid core of single conductor OF copper at around 26awg it seemed to go against my personal belief of there being no substitute for gauge, the more the better. Anyway reviews were positive about the stuff (justifying the outrageous cost?) So delving deeper this cable it reminds me of nothing more than ordinary telephone wire. It's about the same gauge, made of copper, single conductor, with an insulated covering probably PVC. I think it must qualify as at the very least being similar. And it costs tuppence a mile.

Now, the apparent excellent sonics of the 47Labs Gaincard not withstanding, every man and his horse knows about the contentious origins of the Gaincard i.e. a handful of dollars and parts, not the tidiest of internal-build etc translating to selling for a serious amount of wedge, leaves me wondering if Mr Gaincard isn't indulging in similar antics with his cables. Whatever the public will stump up is what I'm gonna charge, plus a bit for luck. It happens all the time, everywhere, not just in our chosen pursuit. Perceived value is what it boils down to. It cost me a shitload so it must be good. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the concept....

Tangible benefits must ensue although there is surely an element of psychoacoustics involved with audio, and that's how sometimes audio manufacturers work...bragging rights, one over the Jones', it cost more so it must be better etc etc, and of course the immutable law of diminishing returns. There must be stuff out there that is really worth the money so this isn't a rant about the audio world in general, just a sanity check if you like...

In the end as long as the buyer isn't going in eyes wide shut, and common sense prevails, he won't get didded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to slag Mr Gaincard, I just think his cables are serious wedge, and I can't for the life of me see the value in 26awg single strand wire either being worth the money or offering the supposed sonic goodies.

That isn't going to stop me applying the diy method to a lump of el cheapo telephone cable, Cat 5, Belden or something from Bunnings to see if I can get even close to hearing what all the fuss is about ...

Dunno feel free to throw rocks, correct any of the above, or ignore it all, it's all the same to me. I enjoy the forums and my hobby, and occasionally post something I think might have merit.

Cheers Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.