• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4699 SEP (unusual cathode feedback?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A better approximation takes account of second order effects. You have to calculate the resistance seen at the junction of R2 and R3. This is R3, in parallel with R2 plus the cathode impedance.

Thanks Dave, I owe you a cigar.

So, lowering cathode impedance would increase FB only marginally as R3 << R2 + cat imp.
On the other hand, removing local feedback over R2 with a bypass cap would result in higher amplification.
Time for experiments :D

Last edited:
High open loop gain is what we want to apply FB. Without the R2 bypass square waves look not so clean. Could the OPT benefit from a zobel over it?

315hf8w.jpg

Looking at it again, you aren't using hardly any feedback at all I don't think, might as well disconnect it.

Correct me if I am wrong, open loop gain~24?

Substitute an 820 ohm resistor for R12 and that should give you -6db loop gain.

Since there is a 50% tap maybe it's a push pull transformer? That would explain the poor bass.

Looking at it again, you aren't using hardly any feedback at all I don't think, might as well disconnect it.

Correct me if I am wrong, open loop gain~24?

Substitute an 820 ohm resistor for R12 and that should give you -6db loop gain.

Since there is a 50% tap maybe it's a push pull transformer? That would explain the poor bass.

Bass is fine, no complaints there, and it's really a SE :D
Open loop gain of 24, that might be right.
Closed loop is 5 or thereabout. I measured 3 with the volume pot at two 'o clock.

NFB should be part of the design process. The best amount of NFB is the correct amount for that circuit; less or more could degrade things.

I suppose you could set NFB with a scope by looking for ringing on a square wave and reducing NFB until the ringing disappears. Not a good method, as you can't distinguish between too much NFB and too little compensation.

Using a dual-channel oscilloscope, display the input and output signal of the amplifier without feedback. Use an audio signal generator as input. Find the frequencies where the output is opposite phase to the input, that is 180 degrees phase shift. You can apply as much NFB that the closed-loop gain is < 1 at this frequency. Otherwise it will oscillate.

The flattening of the top half is a result of a too high signal level applied to the penthode. The driver stage has simply too much amplification (ca 48dB). My assumption was wrong that the extra amplification could be used completely for feedback. I need ca. 11dB for full power output, 37dB feedback is unpractical :D

From back to front: the penthode needs 15Vpp. The driver must deliver 15,0/5,6=2,68 times amplification. Add another 4 times for feedback (12dB) so we're looking for a driver stage with a gain of 7. Further requirements would be low output impedance / high slew rate. I'm searching for candidates.

Last edited:
I have not because amplification of the driver is way out of proportion (37dB within the FB loop).
Instead I've built this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The scope gave a normal sinus of 13Vrms with 2Vrms input. Yet another bug turns up: does the CDP give out 2Vrms? I have to turn up the volume completely for max volume. It sounds very good though. I expected to find max volume at 12 'o clock, before distortion sets in.

Last edited:
it amplifies 16 times, hence 48dB in total.

I am still confused here.

First stage gain unbypassed ~16

Second stage gain is ~24

Transformer turns ratio 24:1

First stage gain is 24db

Total amp gain is 24db

This is all closed loop, if you open the feedback loop it is relatively unchanged unless you reduce the value of R12. This related to the older schematic with feedback and ECC88.

Refering to the ECC88 version: 0,31Vrms in gives 4,94Vrms out (at C1). That's 16X, according to Audio Handbook #2 (Crowhurst, 1952) 48dB. Where do we differ? :D
The final has 5,3Vrms in and 4,7Vrms out (at the speaker terminal).
I'm still confused by the output level of a CDP, that's standard 2Vrms, is it not?

Last edited:
Refering to the ECC88 version: 0,31Vrms in gives 4,94Vrms out (at C1). That's 16X, according to Audio Handbook #2 (Crowhurst, 1952) 48dB. Where do we differ? :D

That is exactly where we differ ;)

(log16)*20=24.08db

The final has 5,3Vrms in and 4,7Vrms out (at the speaker terminal).

Given the OPT is 4k6 then the 4699 stage has slightly less than 24x gain or losses in iron.

I'm still confused by the output level of a CDP, that's standard 2Vrms, is it not?

I have an older one that only puts out 1.2v peak, there is a good degree of variances between models and brands from the little testing I have done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.