• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

417A Line Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CATHODE BYPASS.

Hi,

Since I have more gain than I need in the system, I'm also tempted to unbypass the cathode resistor. Anyone try this?

Since you use a WOT, I would gladly do away with any cathose bypass cap here...

After all it slows down transient response and in this case you hardly have to worry about Zo.

Cheers,;)

/less is more mood tonight...

Re: OSCILLATIONS AND GRIDSTOPPERS.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Of all the Stabivolt tubes the 90C1 is one of my favourites together with the 5651A.

Re: gridstoppers, if you don't need them, don't use them.
Contrary to what you may read they kill detail and dynamic range suffers too.

Cheers,;)

Frank,

Checked on those glowers and they seem to work to a lower voltage that what I would like, something like 90V and the 5651 will allow up to 3.5 mA?

What I'm looking for is something on the 110-120V range with aprox 20 mA to use WOT.

Regarding those gridstoppers I agree 100% with you based on the test I did during the weekend. I was previously well aware of your opinion about these R's and that was the reason I did the test!!!

:bulb: :bulb:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
GLOW DISCHARGE.

Hi Tony,

Checked on those glowers and they seem to work to a lower voltage that what I would like, something like 90V and the 5651 will allow up to 3.5 mA?

Yes indeed, I was speaking generally.

The OA2 is a 105V zener, I use those too but strangely enough they tend to sound...dare I say it...rather cold in comparison.

Odd,isn't it? It maybe due to the different gas, I really don't know.

I was previously well aware of your opinion about these R's and that was the reason I did the test!!!

Thank you. I feel honoured by all the trouble you went through.:)

Cheers,;)

Re: FERRITE BEADS.

fdegrove said:

They work.

Order in house once again.

Changed the GS with a piece of wire and a ferrite bead close to the socket tag, added a small drop of epoxy to fix them and ready.

Connected to the system and from the start things changed and it was obvious that the previous unbalanced sound was over.

Though it took about 3 + hours for breaking-in and still not done completely (break-in for a 4 Cm wire and two solder joints ???:confused: )

IM and THD seems to have been squashed. A much transparet and deeper soundstage plus lots of more details.

Thanks to all for the input

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the input and prise.

I still don't have an OT.

I did order some M-6 (EI-100) lamination to roll my own OT with a 5K / 600 Ohms impedance but after calculating the minimum number of turns needed for the primary (6000, using a 38 mm stack) I got quite lazy to start the job.

Which transformers are you using?

10 or 20 K seems a little to high?

I have been very pleased so far running the stage with a 5K resistance loaded plate even though they are cheap carbon films with magnetic caps!!!

What boders me most on the actual setup is the high gain of the stage for which I have to keep the grid very close to ground in order to control the gain with the attenuators. But that does not seem to degrade the sound, but have no way of comparing.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

I test many types. at last i made two choice. use 6sn7 use the photo shows.
if use 417a use tango NP-216.

the middle one is pre-amp.

thanks

Thomas

Attachments

• 2003-02-03 meeting 026.jpg
    2003-02-03 meeting 026.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 389
Zen aproach???

Woooooow Thomas.... a gift to the eyes!!! You got there some very very nice gear!!! Congratulations for your excellent work :wiz: :wiz: :wiz:

If you have not done so yet you should post a new thread for each of those creations!!!

I see some Bartolucci tranies on your preamp?

How much those Tango's NP 216 cost in Hong Kong???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.