300W 'modulated bias' cascode Killer Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Built up my dummy load.

And here is the amp producing 350W into 4ohms at clipping. Cleanly and without glitches of any sort.

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

• gb300d 4ohm clipping.jpg
    gb300d 4ohm clipping.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 963
thanks K-amps,

...."Forget the sound, he needs a good camera."

Yeah, well I bought the camera just need to learn how to take oscilloscope screen shots with it.

Hi Hugh and Upupa Epops,

Thanks. Actually my sig gen is a little assymetrical - need to build a better one. Any good ccts?

I took this better module picture -

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

• gb300d pic.jpg
    gb300d pic.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 799
Hi Upupa Epops and Cortez,

I have tested the amplifier with capacitative loads and because of the extra 6 dB gain in the output x 4 (vs x 2) common source stage the amp needs the output R//L (1R1W//16T on body) for survival with capacitative loads at power.

50W 10KHz 1uF added -

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

• 2005_1129300d1uf0008.jpg
    2005_1129300d1uf0008.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 856
And it's now ready to go - and can deliver

300W into 8ohms using a +/-75V 300VA supply or
300W into 4ohms using a +/-55V 300VA supply!

Thanks to the high PSRR of the topology and the filtered 2BJT CCS, it doesn't need a SuperSizeMe power supply to deliver it's sonics. It doesn't need massively overbuilt power supplies to reduce intrusion of supply artefacts because this has been taken care of elegantly in the intrinsic topology.

And because it's almost R2R , there's less waste power in dissipation due to the efficient common source outputs.

Cheers,
Greg

I've struck a dilemma.

Despite the 'modulated bias' cascode more than halving the THD of this amplifier, I have just tried a slightly different biassing arrangement for the cascode resulting in, on sim, a 16 dB ( x6) improvement in PSRR, and in listening tests, appears to me to give a small improvement to the sound despite the 2 times higher THD of the non-modulated cascode bias.

In fact this was the original design for biassing of the cascodes before I 'discovered' the THD improvement of the modulated cascode and it is all but accomodated in the board layout requiring a small link of only 2mm and cutting one track per side.

The dilemma is - do I redesign the next run of boards to accomodate this or leave it as is? As it goes to one of the unique features of the design topology it's hard, but the default should, I suppose, be what gives the best sound but this also is subjective at this stage.

Your views?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.