• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300b with single stage driver, C3M or?

Since its single stage why not just use Rod's shunt cascode ? It's a proven design.
sorry but i do not want to mix tubes with solid state devices in the signal path.....

i prefer all tubes in signal path as much as i can, but i will use them in power supplies as in rectification and g2 screen regulators....

here is the thread.... i saw it before, not interested...https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/shunt-cascode-power-valve-driver.153318/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
my experience based on end-user comments is that simple resistive loading sounds better than CCS and more reliable too in the long run.....there are circuits that chase specs for the better, but then it is the end-user living with the amp that i consider the most, and their feedbacks value as gold....

Reactions: 1 user
Since its single stage why not just use Rod's shunt cascode ? It's a proven design.

I'm still using Shunt Cascode to drive my 300B-SE. For 18 years. It sounds better than pentode drivers, which in turn sound better than 2-stage drivers, IME.
I have looked at a new version of the Shunt Cascode kit, but the parts shortages of the past 3 years disrupted the work. Parts are mostly back to normal so I can try again.

The signal path is much simpler and shorter than many drivers, and there is NO signal current in the power supply capacitor, if a single positive supply is used. So maybe it has more parts than some designs - but fewer of them carry signal current.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Rod,

I am glad to see that you may reconsider offering the "kits" again...hoping!

Could you please explain the tradeoffs between having an AC or DC coupled version of the shunt cascode, for the 6E5P (or 6E6P-DR), driving 300B? I take it that you are/have been using the AC coupled version, with coupling capacitor. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Thanks and Best, Robert

/