• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300B B+ PSU caps

Reactions: 1 user
The "small" DC-link caps are PCB-mount. How do you mount them in your hard wired PSUs? Fishing for some brilliant PCB-less alternatives here. :)

I understand, PCB parts don't always lend themselves to point to point wiring. One option is to zip tie the capacitors upright on a small piece of Garolite board, wire them underneath to turrets, then out from there. Mount the Garolite board neatly. I cut garolite very cleanly on my trim miter saw. Drill holes, then swage in the turrets.

https://www.mcmaster.com/phenolic-boards/

Thanks for many fine suggestions.
Ale Moglia (https://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/about-me/) has some very neat boards, but I do not think that they are fore sale.

IMG_0237.jpeg

Hello,

I think it would be helpful if some with experience with these DC Link caps could post their experience with indication of the types used (maker and part numbers would be helpful), whether they are rectangular plastic encased or in aluminum cans, whether they are 2 pin or 4 pin. In other words, what have you tried, where, and with what results? Did I ask for part numbers? I'd also ask for suppliers.

Very Best, Robert

P.S. The only ones that I have found that would fit in an LCLC HT PSU that I might build are Kemet C4AQIBW5400A3OJ which are 40uF rectangular plastic case with 4 pins, found at Mouser for $11.28 each...they would be the first C. Beyond that, I am challenged, sorry to admit...but if anyone has suggestions for the rest of my PSU, please share.

I used Panasonic EZPV series DC link capacitors. This was in a 3C24 amp and not a 300B. I used two 100uf 600V caps fed from a pair of 866A rectifiers. Seems to work nicely.
Below are some pictures as to how I mounted them. I used some buss wire and just soldered that directly to the terminals. Connections to other components attached to the thick buss wires. Been in daily use for a year without problems, PXL_20220120_175356558 (1).jpg PXL_20220120_175432840 (3).jpg PXL_20220120_175439301 (1).jpg PXL_20220120_175442623 (2).jpg

WntrMute2,​

Thank you for that...it gives us a starting point about how to connect 4 pin capacitors.

The only rational guidance I've been able to find about this topic is at the Clarity Cap website, and is shown in the attached image, which also indicates the advantages of the connexions.

Anyone else aware of this, have you tried it?

Best, Robert

Attachments

• 2023-01-31 How to Connect.png
    2023-01-31 How to Connect.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 69
I'd guess that you are saying that not all 4 pin capacitors are Kelvin capacitors. I'm just trying to figure out who's on first...and WTF is up with 4 pin capacitors. There does not seem to be an accessable tutorial on the subject with understandable details. Jus t tryin' to learn..

Large rectangular capacitors (and also, large-can electrolytics) have extra pins usually to add mechanical robustness, with secondary benefits like lower inductance and broadband current handling.

2-pins are not strong enough to support heavy capacitors; think about dropping some end-user equipment: this would often result in the cap breaking off the PCB.

But if you are using them as the first cap against the rectifiers, you may still have a certain benefit from assigning one pin for IN and one for OUT. THis way the common-inductance caused by the pins is eliminated, and pin material is more inductive than the "plates". Whether this makes any difference will be highly variable, but there is always the satisfaction of doing things in the optimum way.

I used Panasonic EZPV series DC link capacitors. ...
I think I would be a bit nervous of some unforeseen eventuality that caused the caps to shift by 1cm either way, causing a short to that metal bar across them (say is the nuts became loose if they are not nyloc types). Do you protect against that? Maybe some shrink tubing over that metal bar could be belt and braces?

Good point. I do have the caps stuck down with 3M heavy duty double sided tape. Also, the studs thread into some rubber insets so the bar isn't grounded. I am using KEP nuts but nylocks would be better. I could also make the bar out of some carbon fiber strut I have laying around somewhere.
Thanks