3 way subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's concentrate in one sub for this post, again. Please type the length x diameter of the port system you have in the sub MOREL UW 1258 (you already typed the int. volume). A lot of diyAudio members never give complete informations when asked and they prefer smalltalk to fix their problems.

Just talking about something for the extreme low end for talk and not much more.

I think this was a bad thread to start. I don't want to tie up anyone with a thread that I think I started in nonsense. Sorry for the time and I'll try to get threads going that have a better direction and purpose.

No worries.. The two subs I have are working well.

The Morel I built what madisound.
Recommended Enclosure: 4.5 cubic foot. Fb ~20hz, F3 ~20hz. Single vent 4" diameter x 8" (add one inch for flared).

Overall the Morel is built with the above box and the JBL 2242H is built with the specs of a JBL 4645C. Both sound great and are solid all around subs.

I was just messing around with the idea of another sub for the heck of it on an whim... The "more is better" when more perhaps isn't better.

The best thing I can do is to probably enjoy listening to what I have now as it sounds great and gets down pretty low... This hobby can get out of hand as many of us know.

Thanks and sorry for the silly direction of this thread and wasting time

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET!
(And is not the same you posted.)
The alignment is different, as you can see, and I'm working with your values that you mentioned.

Internal = 127 L (127L = 4.4850ft³)
Port (diam x length) = 4" (10cm) x 8/9" (~22cm)

This port, besides having a small diameter - for the air speed/noise at max. volume only - but it's fair because large ports need longer extension/length - is not the alignment you mention or is required.
This alignment, you can check with any simulation I'm only checking here for the first time everything else being fine, giving 127L/25Hz tuning for the size of port presented (4" x 9"), with a frequency output curve that is not ideal as the one I'm posting below (25Hz vs. 20Hz) and far from the above. Look at where the lines cross for F3 and how abrupt the curve is with a low frequency extension and Fb higher than it should be (I would use 20 Hz or lower as was mentioned, close to ideal) for driver MOREL UW 1258.

Sorry to say, and thanks for reporting back (you didn't mention :confused: the power of your amp by the way).
You need to review your system if you are looking for the right performance.
1. The first picture is what you have now.
2. The second picture is what you should have or an ideal alignment with the same mentioned driver (Volume/Fb) and with an ideal lower frequency extension.
Have fun. :D

Attachments

• MOREL UW 1258, VB = 127.0 L, FB = 25.0 Hz, le 0 dB correspond à 82 dB2.83Vm..jpg
    MOREL UW 1258, VB = 127.0 L, FB = 25.0 Hz, le 0 dB correspond à 82 dB2.83Vm..jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 114
  • MOREL UW 1258, VB = 134.7 L, FB = 16.1 Hz, le 0 dB correspond à 82 dB2.83Vm. - ideal.jpg
    MOREL UW 1258, VB = 134.7 L, FB = 16.1 Hz, le 0 dB correspond à 82 dB2.83Vm. - ideal.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 121
I think this was a bad thread to start.
No it was not, for me.
We just need to be more specific some times.

In this case if you look at the graphs I posted, what can be a small difference in the driver/speakers output @20Hz of ~2dB if you observe thoughtfully you can find that the difference is ~7.5dB @15Hz, a big difference in fact (from alignment #1 to alignment #2) for the low frequency extension only (and you were right). ;)

Here you go...139 Liter, 12ft long T-TQWT (negative flare tapped horn), 100 watts @ 8ohms @ 12.5mm Xmax, double fold enclosure = 38.25"H x 22.5"D x 14"W.

Attachments

• MU1.jpg
    MU1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 93
  • MU2.jpg
    MU2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 75
  • MU3.jpg
    MU3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 76
  • MU4.jpg
    MU4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 27
  • MU5.jpg
    MU5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 26
  • MU6.jpg
    MU6.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 30
  • MU7.jpg
    MU7.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 22
What drive is that? TC Sounds?

Yes it is the TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400

TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer 293-666

A pair of those things would blow your mind! but at 86lbs (39 kgs) each, that makes for one damn heavy sub box.

I have a pair of the Pro 5100s in OB and they sound very nice, clean crisp and very responsive, but I was thinking of a couple of the 5400s for sub boxes.

If your budget stretches you could start with one, and I think it would take care of that low end you are looking for.

Yes it is the TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400

TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer 293-666

A pair of those things would blow your mind! but at 86lbs (39 kgs) each, that makes for one damn heavy sub box.

I have a pair of the Pro 5100s in OB and they sound very nice, clean crisp and very responsive, but I was thinking of a couple of the 5400s for sub boxes.

If your budget stretches you could start with one, and I think it would take care of that low end you are looking for.

Took my own advice and just ordered a LMS Ultra 5400 while they are on special.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.