3 Legged Inductors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ive seen similar but in power supplies. Id wager its centre tapped, or maybe offset centre tapped. You could likely do similar with 2 inductors of the right value. Either that or its making use of mutual inductance, but i think thats less likely with 3 wires (no electrical isolation)

Thanks for the input chaps but I think you were right with "offset center tapped."

I neglected to mention these speakers have 2 x SPDT switches in each crossover as can be seen here:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The switch in the tweeter section adds an extra 4R7 resistor & the switch in the bass section changes the inductors tap from 1mh to 1.6mh.

I haven't got the skills to reflect this in a diagram so have done 2, the first with switches in flat position & the second with switches in cut position.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I do hope that makes sense!

Well well well! Every so often I get something right :D What is a bit peculiar is C1 and C2 in series, would a single 2.2uF really have been a compromise too far?
It's possible that it's a 3rd.order, like another member in another forum stated.
It then makes perfect sense for a ~3.5KHz crossover.
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=12292.45

istari knight, doesn't the cable you are using very bad, or did you upgraded already?!
Use this type of cable (professional Speakon type) if nothing else. You can achieve a good improvement in total quality. It's not expensive (1x ten meter run can give you two cables), gauge/quality and it's adapted to all situations (black heavy PVC jacket or clear zip-cord jacket for audiophile applications). You don't need the bulky connectors, so, can save for later use or sell as parts.
http://www.radialeng.com/rcs/pdfs/radcat-speaker.pdf
Speakon Heavy Duty Speaker Leads : PA Speaker Cables : Maplin Electronics

Attachments

• Pro Speaker Cables.jpg
    Pro Speaker Cables.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for the input Inductor :)

I think you may be right about the 3rd order filter at least that makes sense... I'll have another look at the PCB but its quite difficult to trace as the tracks are very erratic.

I'm afraid that's not my project on the Lenco forum. I simply used his crossover picture. I am using Van Damme 2.5mm cable ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.