2sk170 vs lsk170 which is better in sound quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I would stick with Toshiba parts myself. I have enough of them.

It is my prejudice.
But I happen to work for semiconductor equipment manufacturers, and we have all major players as customers.
I know what resources Toshiba has with their manufacturing process research and quality control.
And this is not a small player like Linear Systems can ever afford.

BUT, it is a prejudice. I have no scientific proof.

Patrick

And this is not a small player like Linear Systems can ever afford.

BUT, it is a prejudice. I have no scientific proof.

Patrick

If they use a modern foundry it could well have more resources. For every reasonably informed person, as I know you are, there are several that will treat this like hand rolled silver and beeswax capacitors vs good commercial film caps.

If I had the Toshiba parts I would probably prefer them myself. But nowadays you take a chance buying any 74 jfets and will most likely get fakes. It is getting that way also with 170's. I have a supply of the Toshiba's that I am almost positive are original and some I am not so sure of I bought before the lsk's became available. Now that the lsk's are available I would not gamble on getting original Toshiba from any source. If this was not the case we would have to take a chance buying from questionable sources and testing them before installing to be sure and probably get fakes most of the time. We do not have a reliable source such as Mouser or Digikey anymore for Toshiba jfets. We do for LSK's.

I have a supply of the Toshiba's that I am almost positive are original and some I am not so sure of I bought before the lsk's became available.

I don't build anything for others or for sale so I simply have old projects to recycle parts from if need be, even a stash of the top-hat matched pairs from the 80's. IMHO creating a cult around obsolete, high priced, and frequently faked NOS parts does no good for the DIY hobby.

Measurement wise I agree the fact it might be very close but did anybody compared sonically how is the difference?

Best way is experiments on breadboard.
You can try Mr Pass buffer schematics for example is simple and you can change resistors types and brands :
metal film, carbons film, wirewound and fancy etc. and find subtle differances and perfect sound to your taste.
Greetings :)

Attachments

• 05984E1B-966C-4088-A92C-D111113E1CE2.JPG
    05984E1B-966C-4088-A92C-D111113E1CE2.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 689
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.