250W short arc MH lamp and ballast

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've spent some time browsing through some Chinese websites, and I found a line of bulbs that had this description:

The metal halogenide puts the electric lamp, the small volume, the long life fourth generation of new
photosource. 20th century ages enter the ordinary illumination
domain, the progress are very quick; The 90's in domain and so
on movie, television, photography as well as optical instrument also
had the widespread application, also have the very big development
space. Main technical specification as follows:
Light effect >70LM/W
colored index >80
color warm: 6000
life >2000h
spectrum 400-750NM
Outer diameter: Phi 12MM 100W
Outer diameter: phi 15MM 250W
Outer diameter: phi 15.5 350W
interelectrode distance: Exchange lamp 6-7MM
interelectrode distance: Direct current lamp 2.5-3.4MM
frosting processing: Exchanges the entire frosting or
half frosting

The picture of the bulb is very similar to the one you guys are currently trying to purchase, it is double ended, with a skinny end on both sides and a small buldge in the middle where the light would be. The end that does not screw into a socket has a wire coming out of it that bends back to the other end for easy hookup in reflectors?

On the actual page, they show a projector, and they mention that these are made for projectors as well as other items.

2.5-3.4mm ARC, 70LM/W * 250W = 17,500LM - decent.

I am not saying we should buy these, however, I am saying that maybe there are many manufacturers that create these bulbs, perhaps ones that actually are willing to export, or tell us a little more information about what is needed to drive them.

With no confirmed stats on the bulb, I dont find myself compelled to fork out a bunch of cash on a bunch of bulbs.

Ywh said he got actual specifications from the manufacturer (Ushio) and he would post them. I found the specifications online and they differ from his initial specs, but maybe something isdifferent.

They're good bulbs and ballasts, but I don't think anyone can expect everyone to want to jump in and buy them with the lack of solid information available.

18 Wheeler is getting a ballast and bulb to verify that they are good and is not accepting US orders until operation is verified, so I feel that if 18wheeler can get it to work I'm willing to take a risk. I admit that there is risk, but the benifits of short arc are hopefully worth it. People that are just trying to get a low price, probably shouln't bother.

Minoten as the person that took the risk with WUXGA LCDs I'm surprised that you are concerned here. With a shipped price of ~$135 I am willing to give it a try and if it doesn't work out, well thats life. I'm going to wait until 18Wheeler has tested and then order.

I am somewhat concerned that YWH's specs don't line up with Ushios specs particularly the PMA161X driving a 250W bulb, the part number seems to spec the wattage so this doesn't seem to make sense.

There has been no claim that these are the Ushio bulbs only the ballast so they may be knock-offs with similar performance but not exact specs so that may be part of the difference. The Ushio spec page that you posted only indicates the double ended bulb (screw/nuts on both ends) for the 575W version and YWH has shown a couple of different sizes. Also I've found that many of the bulb manufactures have come out with new products but either haven't updated their docs and seem to never have good info on the websites so that infor could be old.

18wheeler should have his setup in the next week and we will know.

Minoten as the person that took the risk with WUXGA LCDs I'm surprised that you are concerned here. With a shipped price of ~$135 I am willing to give it a try and if it doesn't work out, well thats life. I'm going to wait until 18Wheeler has tested and then order.

This is exactly the reason I am concerned and I ask these questions. With the WUXGA Kits I did so much research and communicated with many different people to ensure there was little to no risk.

I did not want any of the people involved to have to take a risk, and I was not going to accept any payment until I could assure them that there was no risk involved, what is going on now seems very rushed.

Of course my kits cost $715, but $135 is still a lot when you are given conflicting information and such. I am not complaining so much as I am just calling out for someone to organize this information and give us some straight facts.

I would be very interested in taking over this operation, but hopefully 18wheeler gets everything together once he receives his products.

I appreciate the work being done by 18wheeler and YWH, and I am very glad to hear he has stopped accepting orders until he confirms the bulb and ballast.

Meanwhile, I wait while my 400W MH cooks my WUXGA LCD haha :smash:

minoten said:
This is exactly the reason I am concerned and I ask these questions. With the WUXGA Kits I did so much research and communicated with many different people to ensure there was little to no risk.

I appreciate the work being done by 18wheeler and YWH, and I am very glad to hear he has stopped accepting orders until he confirms the bulb and ballast.
Well soon 18wheeler will have the lamp and ballast and we can atleast see the brightness and color, bulb lifetime at 2500hrs can't be verified for 104 days so that part will be a risk and even then you need multiple data points to get an average life. There is a risk but as far as I know there isn't another source for short arc bulbs so the choice is playing it safe with known bulbs that can't get all the light to the LCD or these bulbs which hopefully get more light to the LCD without the heat.

18Wheeler -
What light setup do you have to compare these new bulbs with? A side by side comparison is going to be crucial in evaluating the benifits of a short arc or else a luxmeter.

I have a 250W HQI bulb that I bought cheap a while ago. but I don't have the ballast for it. So if someone can loan me a ballast, I will be able to make an side by side comparison.

I am going to set the lamp at a few inches to a foot away from a transperency which has 10% - 90% grey bars printed with 100% black borders(or black taped) surrounding grey stripes. the fresnel will be 10 feet away from screen. after lamp is fully lit up, a digi cam will aim to projected "black box" with grey strips on the screen. the camera will be put on 'auto', and the exposure time and f-stop will be recorded. then will do the same for the HQI ( IF I get the ballast for it), or a 150W CDM-T lamp that I have.

I don't have equipment to measure the brightness, so the exposure measure from a digi cam will be my poorman's photometer.

ywh, what is the distance of h1, h2, and h3? knowing these three numbers I will be able to make a simulation, so people will know if it suits their needs.

Attachments

• condensor size.jpg
    condensor size.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 406
·´¹âÍë $9 ¾Û¹â¾µ $9 µÆ¼Ü×Ó $14 µÆ½Å $8
Õâ¸ö ¹âÔ´×Ü³É Ô­Éè¼ÆÊÇÓÃÓÚ6.4'LCDµÄ, ÒªÓÃÔÚ´óµÄLCD ÉÏÒª×öЩ¸Ä¶¯,ÈçͼËùÊ¿,°ÑµÆºÍ·´¹âÍëÒ»Æð¿¿½ü¾Û¹â¾µ.ÒÔÔö¼Ó³öÉä¹âµÄ½Ç¶È,ÕÕÉäÕû¸ö15'LCD.

Attachments

• holder6.4.jpg
    holder6.4.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 420
ywh said:
·´¹âÍë $9 ¾Û¹â¾µ $9 µÆ¼Ü×Ó $14 µÆ½Å $8
Õâ¸ö ¹âÔ´×Ü³É Ô­Éè¼ÆÊÇÓÃÓÚ6.4'LCDµÄ, ÒªÓÃÔÚ´óµÄLCD ÉÏÒª×öЩ¸Ä¶¯,ÈçͼËùÊ¿,°ÑµÆºÍ·´¹âÍëÒ»Æð¿¿½ü¾Û¹â¾µ.ÒÔÔö¼Ó³öÉä¹âµÄ½Ç¶È,ÕÕÉäÕû¸ö15'LCD.

translation:

reflector $9, condensor $9, frame $14, lamp holder $8.

The frame is designed for 6.4" LCDs. to use on a 15"LCD, the lamp and the reflector need to move toward condensor, so the angle of emiited light will be large enough to cover whole 15".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.