2015 Burning Amp Festival, Saturday October 17th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"if there is interest, I can bring a 10mhz freq standard"

I'm interested. I have a IM-2410 that has never been checked beyond the assembly procedure..."if you don't have a calibrator, just center the trimmer" or something along those lines. Be interesting to see how close that really is.

Also, regarding other standards, again also interested if someones wants to take the time. I picked up a 5 1/2 digit multimeter a month ago that would be fun to see what it's 20 year drift rate is.
Dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Final Instructions - well maybe not FINAL but Very Important!

The venue is a large office building floor . If we leave it EXACTLY as we found it we'll probably get it for next year. I have a cleaning crew coming in on Sunday afternoon but we have to avoid damage and then get everything back in place Sunday. I still need more volunteers for Sunday.

There are desks in the open area. NOTHING on the desks should be touched. The chairs will be labeled underneath so we can return them to where they came from and can be used. We'll relocate couches and coffee tables to serve our needs, then return them on Sunday. We'll photo the area to help return items

Generally as much as possible let's leave the chairs in a conference room to listen from. We'll turn the conference tables and put them on one wall for equipment. If some furniture is removed from a room it is probably best to have it right outside the room against the wall if possible. We'll photo the rooms to help return items.

If anything is missing we're screwed, Our crowd won't take anything, but keep your eyes open....

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Final Instructions Part 2 ;)

-Every year we lack good vinyl and SD's or SACD's Everyone should bring some music! Be brave bring what you like and think sounds good. You can carry it around. We can use music servers and computer music servers loaded with music.. They don't have to be DIY of course..

-At the VERY minimum bring the cable that goes before any component you bring. For speakers, speaker cable, amps and preamps bring inteconnects. Bring a power strip! we may have to connect 2 to make an extension..

-Label the above- a big strip of tape folded over the cable works well when written on with a marker..

-Have fun and plan to stay later than usual- we have plenty of snacks and drinks to keep you strong! You can just leave your equipment in place if you want and return Sunday at 10 AM to take it. Maybe help a little..

Variac

I bought a fiio x3-2 which has a nice feature of reading usb OTG thumbdrives and if those drives contain DSD files, you get native dsd playback over analog and you get pcm converted (88.2) over spdif copper out. I've used it and its quite good. the fiio takes micro-sd cards or usb via the OTG wire dongle.

I will have some dsd files as well as 88.2 pcm, 96 pcm, 176.4 pcm and 192 pcm.

for a $200 player, it was hard to resist. spdif-out and good line-out with digital out being bit-perfect and not resampled. they make nice little walk-arounds and I like the DAP better than just using 'phones'.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can't wait!

I bought a fiio x3-2 which has a nice feature of reading usb OTG thumbdrives and if those drives contain DSD files, you get native dsd playback over analog and you get pcm converted (88.2) over spdif copper out. I've used it and its quite good. the fiio takes micro-sd cards or usb via the OTG wire dongle.

I will have some dsd files as well as 88.2 pcm, 96 pcm, 176.4 pcm and 192 pcm.

for a $200 player, it was hard to resist. spdif-out and good line-out with digital out being bit-perfect and not resampled. they make nice little walk-arounds and I like the DAP better than just using 'phones'.

I also hacked its CTIA inline remote and created an IR gateway so that I can leave the player on a stand and at least have play/pause/skip-back/skip-forward support using an old spare sony IR remote. the trick is to use a TRRS cable and send the control signal in over the inner ring and gnd.

and, in fact, it does not seem to be ctia (not resistor programmed) but its something else - a click-based protocol. 1,2 or 3 clicks to perform those functions. I found that completely by accident, btw and it has not been documented anywhere that I've found.

so, I'll bring that along, too, since it was a fun and somewhat useful little hack.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I had a great time. My special thanks to Stuart and Vlad for helping me get Internet. Without them there wouldn't have been a broadcast. They really went the extra mile. Getting up at 4AM has caught up with me, so I think I'm signing off for now. I'll talk to you from The Fortress of Solitude soon. :)

LIVE from BAF 2015

LIVE from BAF 2015

Another successful BAF! With friends old and new, and a great new location too . Thanks to everyone who came by to my room to listen to my system (I'm the one with the tall, curved line array speakers). It was fun chatting with you. Thanks also to Variac and all the organizers and volunteers for making it happen!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.