200W Class A amp with high efficency

Hi David,
Not yet. I am having cataract surgery, one eye finished one to go, so next 30 days I have to be careful with my eyes and then I will start with this project. I hope this winter it will be finished.

Best wishes
Damir

I finished with my surgery and ready to start with this project. I ordered proto PCB, have to decide what to use for low voltage power supply, for high voltage I'll use temporary an old linear power supply. Later I will use switching PS, but not yet decided about type.
Attached linear power amp board.
Damir

Attachments

• low voltage amp.jpg
    low voltage amp.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 773
Reactions: 1 user
PCBs arrived today. Now I have to decide what to use for power supply. I need two, first low voltage 2x6V (or 2x5V if could not find suitable 2x6V) and high voltage +-75V (or for first try +-60V). I intend to use SMPS for both, any suggestion?
Damir

Attachments

• PCB-1.jpg
    PCB-1.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 651
Hi Damir,

Any update about this interesting project?

Regards,
John

Hi John,
Thank you for interest. I have now high voltage LLC switching power supply (+- 60V) and missing low voltage power supply (+- 6V) to proceed with this project. I tried to find switching power supply solution for low voltage but with no success and now I will do linear one with transformer. All other necessary parts I have. There even ready other version of this amp, ClassA driven by ClassB (PCB ) so I will try both.
BR Damir

Damir, I just read (part of) this thread after our exchange.
While I worry , as you imagine, with the phases and delay differences you will encounter with the two amp, I had an idea that is may-be stupid. There is always a remaining trace of the class D switching frequency after its filter. My idea is to extract-it and use the feedback of the class A amp to cancel-it further (as much as possible).
Just my two cents.

Using a SMPS for the Class A, in this situation, do not seem anyway a good Idea to me. If its frequency is close enough to the one of the class D, there is a risk of beat in the audio range, A linear will ensure it will be far away in frequency.
The other solution should be to use the same oscillator for the two.
Now, you are in SMPS and Class D stuff .... I believe a lot of stuff to discover and learn. Good luck.

Last edited:
Damir, I just read (part of) this thread after our exchange.
While I worry , as you imagine, with the phases and delay differences you will encounter with the two amp, I had an idea that is may-be stupid. There is always a remaining trace of the class D switching frequency after its filter. My idea is to extract-it and use the feedback of the class A amp to cancel-it further (as much as possible).
Just my two cents.

Using a SMPS for the Class A, in this situation, do not seem anyway a good Idea to me. If its frequency is close enough to the one of the class D, there is a risk of beat in the audio range, A linear will ensure it will be far away in frequency.
The other solution should be to use the same oscillator for the two.
Now, you are in SMPS and Class D stuff .... I believe a lot of stuff to discover and learn. Good luck.

Tryphone, this is uncharted territory for me and I am excited with what I can find there.
Thanks for interest,
Damir

Dual +/- low voltage supply is hard to come by but good quality 12V and 15V PSU for medical use are readily available.
The MOSFET is holding a low impedance voltage reference V_COM at ~6V above V_DD to serve as connection point to Class D amplifier. Seems to work fine when tried in LtSpice. Any comments?

Last edited: