2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm amplifier (resistor?)

Hello guys

So recently I started designing my first set of speakers and amp for them.
Creating two-way speaker from woofer that is 4 ohm and RMS 40W the same impedance and power handling tweeter with a crossover would make the speaker 2 ohm. (I already chose the drivers and I would very like to not search for others)

For the amp I would like to choose prebuilt amp module with DSP like something Sure Electronics have to offer.
Either 2X50W @ 4ohm or 4x100W @ 4ohm

Now the question is how to connect them and not burn any electronics. These are my ideas so far:
  1. Use the more powerful amplifier and connect a speaker to 2 outputs at the same time (in my head it should increase power and reduce current draw from each out. I just thought of this writing the post)
  2. Connect 2 ohm speakers straight to 4 ohm outputs as I would probably never even use full power output and maybe decrease maximum power output with software tweaks on ADAU1701 DSP that is soldered onto the amp.
  3. Add a resistor in series with the speaker either in the amp itself or the back of the speaker (I suppose putting it in a speaker would raise the temperature to the one in the core of the sun and beyond after some time). How would a resistor affect the frequency curve?
  4. I know that wiring more drivers in series will increase the impedance but this is not an option as I would like this to be rather budget project.
Really looking forward to reading your experienced answers because this problem is bugging me for quite some time and I don't seem to find any concrete answers online.

Parts that I have in mind:
Sure Electronics AA-JA33286 (4x100W @ 4ohm)
Sure Electronics AA-JA32173 (2x50W @ 4ohm)
Woofer: https://www.soundimports.eu/en/tang-band-w5-1138smf.html
Tweeter: https://www.soundimports.eu/en/dayton-audio-rst28f-4.html

So recently I started designing my first set of speakers and amp for them.
Creating two-way speaker from woofer that is 4 ohm and RMS 40W the same impedance and power handling tweeter with a crossover would make the speaker 2 ohm. (I already chose the drivers and I would very like to not search for others)

For the amp I would like to choose prebuilt amp module with DSP like something Sure Electronics have to offer.
Either 2X50W @ 4ohm or 4x100W @ 4ohm
You need a crossover between a mid and a tweeter, this way the final nominal impedance of the speaker won't be different than the drivers one. A passive crossover needs to be designed specifically for your drivers and box, and considering the really basic question I doubt you can without learning a lot of things before. If you will use a DSP you still need measurement gear, and you need a total of 4 channel of amplification, one for every driver.

Ralf

Since the woofer and tweeter are not operating at the same frequencies due to a crossover they are not in true parallel like they would be if you had two woofers in parallel. Below the crossover frequency the tweeters impedance goes way up and the woofer the opposite so you effectively have no big interaction causing the total impedance to look like they are in parallel. That is a gross oversimplification but the concept is there. You need a crossover designed for the frequency and impedance of each driver. Do more studying on design if you can to get how this applies.

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Allen (and others) will have graph that show the impedance of both sides, here is an example of measured impedance of a Sony ribbon tweeter (w very flat impedance) with and without XO.

Sony-ribbon-wXO-imp.gif

dave

All these replies are correct - to guide you.
There is one more thing worth mentioning, and that is - When you insert a series resistor to a speaker, the frequency response
you hear starts to mimic the impedance curve of the speaker. The higher the resistance, the more the frequency response
mimics the impedance curve. This is why heavy duty speaker cable is always recommended.
Good speaker cable also passes-on the amplifiers damping factor to the speaker.

Reactions: 1 user