18Sound NSD1095N - As good as it gets?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I checked with PE and they only had one left in stock. I got my set from American Musical Supply. They appeared to have a bunch of them still in stock.
It does pay to look around. :up: P.E. is huge, I've been there, done the tour, but sometimes they forget to order stuff. :) I needed some horn adapters that were forever back-ordered at P.E. so I called Eminence and they had dozens on the shelf.

I checked with PE and they only had one left in stock. I got my set from American Musical Supply. They appeared to have a bunch of them still in stock.

The main things I like about the WG10 are rounded over mouth and the standard bolt on flange, which makes getting a precise fit easier to the CD. The DE250 has an exit angle of about 14.7 degrees according to the spec sheet. The NSD1095N is a little less, which should favor a deeper WG, so we'll see how that pans out with the rest of the WGs. The SEOS 12 got my attention too. I have a few Martin OEM WGs coming as well, plus a few leftover Selenium HM25-25 expo WGs.

I've been on a mission to design the best reasonably priced 3 way 1" CD system I can manage. I'm leaning towards using b&c 8pe21 mids and 15ndl88 LF drivers.

According to some posts I'm reading the exit angle of the NSD1095N is wider than most.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/exit-angle-of-18sound-hd1050-vs-nsd1095n.367597/

You guys may be right. I emailed 18sound and didn't get an answer.

If you stick the driver on any old horn you may get only 14 degrees dispersion. The XT1086 horn is what 18 sound was advising to use with this driver before they got bought out.

From what I've read there is a proprietary phase plug used in the NSD1095 which is likely the "secret sauce" for wider dispersion than most.

Reactions: 1 user
If you stick the driver on any old horn you may get only 14 degrees dispersion. The XT1086 horn is what 18 sound was advising to use with this driver before they got bought out.

From what I've read there is a proprietary phase plug used in the NSD1095 which is likely the "secret sauce" for wider dispersion than most.
Well this CD looks to be optimized for shallower WGs with higher expansion rates. Thats why I want to try some other less deep types to observe HF response at varying angles. I think the elliptical guides have an advantage over traditional WGs when it comes to off axis performance at a combination of being off axis on both planes.

I recently did a build with NSD1095N, XT1086, 10NMB420 and Hypex FA123 for amplification. The CD is very good, the nocth at 17 kHz is outside my hearing range, so it doesn't bother me. I'm using 16 Ohm version. The XT1086 rings heavily in free air, but bolting it on tightly helps. I've read people dislike the harsh sound of horn, I thought it's (partly) to this ringing, so I damped the horn with butyl mat. Here is a comparison of treated vs untreated horns. Overall I'm happy about the sound of the horn+CD combo and are guests who have heard it. The 10NMB420 requires heavy EQing to go to 60 Hz, but otherwise it's good.

Reactions: 2 users
I have tested a lot with the 18sound NSD1095N with different horns. I have also tested the Visaton DR45N and the 18sound NSD1480N.
You should take a look the the thread Best compression driver 2022.
If you do not need the low cut off you can try a wooden horn, it is probably doable to integrate it in the front baffle. I do not have the tools to do it on my own and found a shop in Germany here: LMH sTrak horns i have built my stereo pair with them, check out the post here:
Sonido SFR200A and 18sound NSD1095N in wooden horn
If you need a deeper cutoff you may want to check out the combination here:
18sound NSD1095N + Visaton HT21, here my measurements with the absolute SPL some dB too low to save my ears
CLIO pocket for this combination:
NSD1095N-HT21-SPL-6ms.jpg

cumulative spectral decay
NSD1095N-HT21-Waterfall-6ms-400-40000-Hz-25dB.jpg

wavelet cycle decay
NSD1095N-HT21-Waterfall-6ms-400-40000-Hz-25dB-WCD.jpg

hope it helps, Stefano
P.S.: here the look & feel of the driver horn combination
IMG_0558-resized.jpg

IMG_0557-resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I took delivery of a pair of 18s NSD1095N yesterday. Mounted them on my ATH ST260 30deg exit angle WGs. Played them with 4th order LR 1300 Hz filters and some pre-figured EQ - it was interesting ;)

Today I made an on axis measurement from 50 cm using REW and a Lineaudio OM-1.

I let REW do tight auto EQ and added 4 PEQs. Haven't measured that but it sound really good. Relaxed with exceptional clarity and resolution. I drive them with:

Mac Mini (Squeezeplay -> Camilla DSP) -> RME Digiface USB (toslink version) -> smsl SU-6 -> Topping L30 -> 3 out of 4 pairs in a Cat 6 cable (100/3 -> 33 ohm char imp) -> 16 ohm resistor -> NSD1095N 16 ohm (for 32 ohm total) :)

Yes - it is a different sound compared to many typical hifi speakers - I like it so far very much. And just a quick setup... :) I'm using my floor speakers for LF behind a chair...

;-D

//

Attachments

• Mo2.jpg
    Mo2.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 276
  • auto_eq.jpg
    auto_eq.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 279
  • dist.jpg
    dist.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 271