15th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST-2018

Here’s wishing you all a great day with lots of fine tunes and good company. Dave, it’s good to hear the smoke is gone. Funny thing is that we have an advisory here today due to high altitude smoke drifting over the east coast. I think it came from Ontario along with the usual hot air that blows our way.

Brian

Random early morning thiughts

Coffee still kicking in
Fun mix of same old faces and new blood;
We can agree to civil disagreement and voluable animated discussions on why our personal favourites are “the best”, and others less so;)
Tom’s new 686 is a pretty damn nice un-sounding piece,;
“Wish you were here” is definitely one of those nights fromwhich it’s probably sacrilegious - or at least less involving -to pick out selected tracks, and “Set the controls “ is still a fun late night spacey trip

Last edited:
Here are a few snaps I took.

1) Howard's 3-ways.
2) Dave's OB
3 Audax tweeter I won!

A huge thanks to Ruth and Dave for hosting. I missed last year and I was distraught and checking the goings-on with my phone. I always leave with utter admiration for the effort, depth of knowledge, and skill on display. It inspires me to GET SOME PROJECTS FINISHED!

Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_20180825_163407.jpg
    IMG_20180825_163407.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20180825_184005.jpg
    IMG_20180825_184005.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20180825_204128.jpg
    IMG_20180825_204128.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
just got home:
Another great weekend on the mtn.
Thanks to Dave and Ruth for hosting this gathering.
It is always great to see old friends and meet new folks. Lots of really nice gear. Raspberry pie was fun.
The speakers Howard brought were the hit at the down stairs stage. Dave's MTM in the main room with Tom's amp was a real big experience, detail and power to die for.

I must send a special thank you to the young electronics smart guy Daniel. He had the patience to check out some of my work and help me trouble shoot the mistakes I made on my amplifier construction projects. Once all the solder smoke cleared we had a nice shinny new Baby Huey 6v6 amp to listen to, for the downstairs stage, as well as a fancy pair of F4 mono blocks.

Terry John, Franz and I had the pleasure of listening to KD Lang on the upstairs deck. Terry's Aikido pre-Amp my F4 power amp and 2 wonderful sets of Daves Frugal horns; MA 7.3 and A10.3 FH XL's. That was pretty special for me. Boy that miss Lang can sing.

Great conversations, lots of fun and laughs.

Shirts on all weekend, no burning stone, but tons of fun anyway.

Another great Audiofest.

Thanks to everybody that was there.

just have memories, no pictures

John, Terry, and Dave made it back to my place around 5:30 or so. The wait at the border was about an hour and 15 or 30 minutes, but otherwise uneventful trip home.

It was a very enjoyable weekend, once again. Lots of old familiar faces, and new ones as well. Seemed like a short visit, but every moment was pleasant. The weather, the food, the company, and of course the music, was fun and relaxing. Good to see everyone again, especially our gracious hosts, Dave and Ruth. These events keep the diy interest alive.

Many thanks from the first Dana

What a time! My first DYIFest and one I'll cherish for a long time. Shout out to all the Danas it was unreal to have that much Dana in so little space. I tried to explain the weekend to my wife and the best I could come up with it was like a family reunion but related by interest instead of blood. So thanks mom, dad for such a great time.

Hi All,

I have to admit that I had a great time visiting with old friends, making new one's and relating false, but fascinating, facts about the "Promised Land" (Seattle Area) to the natives of Canada who have seldom seen a structure larger than the Igloo they were born in! A friendly people who remind one of innocent and honest Children.

Best Regards,
Captain X

Last edited: