1400w amp in 4 ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day to all! Any body here has built this amp from ESP Project 117? I am interested with this amp. I want to know if there are design stuff to be added or to be modified. Please share some experiences during building this amp. Please refer to attached file. Thank you.

Attachments

• p117-f1.gif
    p117-f1.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,628
I see somebody moved this one while I was working on it....

That amp is intentionally left incomplete so incompetent amp builders wouldn't kill themselves or start fires trying to build it. With a few minor modifications it can be made to work. Q3 and Q6 require base stoppers, and C3a needs to connect from - input to the collector of Q6 (not output node, there is too much phase shift in the output stage). C4 needs to be set by experiment. A few other things are needed to make it sound as good as it can. If you don't know *why*, or don't know what I'm talking about then you don't really need to be working on anything this big yet.

A more complete working amp can be found here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1337416#post1337416

but just having a schematic doesn't guarantee working results or safety. In that same thread, Djk publishes a much simpler design close to the same power level.

djk's circuit *is* the QSC amp - with some minor revisions. They do require big filter caps - the series connected pair is BOTH the filter and output coupling caps. They serve both functions simultaneously. At small signal, they're inside the feedback loop and don't affect bass response, but the bigger they are the better power you'll get at clip at 20 Hz.

The one catch with this circuit is that the power supply is FLOATING. You need one for each channel, although commonly it's a separate winding on the same transformer core.

If you really, really need this sort of output power, buy a Class D based power amplifier used for PA/stage work. It will be cheaper to buy than build, and to build any Class AB amp for this power level will be dangerous, and generate more heat than you could deal with.

Same comment as on this thread, really

A decent class H PA amplifier still costs around $1000. Class D more than that. And if you want to run 2 ohms in 95 degree weather in full sun you need to buy two. If you're actually up to the challenge of working with dangerous voltages and curents, and are any good at scavenging expensive hardware you *can* build one built like the proverbial brick s-- house for less. Any amp is more expensive to build if you go pay full distributor price for even half the parts. Anyone seriously considering building a multi-kW amp probably already has the transformer(s), heat sinks and caps or can get them cheap. If not, sticker shock would have already discouraged the idea.

amp

Thank you all! The feeling of being successful in a project is the one i want to achieved... No proplem with heat sinks, I can buy transformer and large heat sinks scrap from a CO2 welding machines here in our shipyard. And for the filter caps many stores here in cebu sell such large value. But my problem is the reliability of the parts here. Many of them are sub standards. You can find it by just looking at it's physical appearance specially the high power bipolar transistors. I dont think where this parts came from, maybe from china? Is there a store in the net that can deliver such items (which is guaranteed original) up to here in cebu?

If you actually want a working amp, don't even think about the ESP design.

What I would so would be to build the Super Leach and go from two output sets per side to six output sets per side. With the proper transistors and a couple of other minor changes it will run from ±135V.

The difference of why this amp will work, and the ESP will not work is the series connected output stage.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/superamp/circuit.pdf

If you actually want a working amp, don't even think about the ESP design.

What I would so would be to build the Super Leach and go from two output sets per side to six output sets per side. With the proper transistors and a couple of other minor changes it will run from ±135V.

The difference of why this amp will work, and the ESP will not work is the series connected output stage.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/superamp/circuit.pdf

Hi DJK,

What "other minor changes" ?

Thanks,

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.