12th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
<snip>For example, AFAIC Eric's black faceted two-ways ( driver compliment I can't remember)</snip>

Those two-ways (black betty) were rebuilds of a set of StudioLab Phase Inversion Monitors. The tweeters are Phillips AD 0162 T15 dome tweeters and the woofers are some unknown driver that can be seen in greater detail here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/220779-can-anyone-idetify-these-8-midbass.html that I have replaced the surrounds and thrown away the aluminum dust cap on.

Luckily, I have another pair of each sitting in the workshop waiting for another set of boxes. Now I just have to find the time to do that.

I would like to thank everyone for making my first time at this event such an enjoyable experience. On the way home, I kept thinking about how much fun it will be to come back again next year. It was a treat meeting new friends, reconnecting with a few familiar faces, and getting acquainted with the world of Planet 10.

Above all, thanks to Dave and Ruth for their kind hospitality. Now I know why you guys come back year after year!

I was hoping for an opportunity to meet Cal in person, but alas that will have to wait till next time.

Gary Dahl

Gary - as Dave notes, I'm quite familiar with MC and Companion - but did manage to find a title in google search history in my phone - "Simple Pleasures" - but is looks like it should have been "Regular Pleasures" - album "Verse" - mystery solved? :)

I'm a huge fan of her own compositions /lyrics and reconstruction/phrasing of "classics" and pop , and while not a girly-girl like some others in my collection, damn but can she play the piano and sing too.

Last edited:
Yes Gary I was hoping to meet you as well. It's too bad that life gets in the way sometimes, but as promised (fingers crossed) I'll be there next year.

If anyone who doesn't already know wants to shoot me a PM and I'll let you know why I couldn't make it.

I'm just so glad you guys had such a good time. Dave, Ruth and all the others like Chris, Daniel and whomever else who help get things ready every year deserve a big hand. The casual atmosphere is nice but there's still a lot of work to put it on.

Gary,

Can you please share your impressions - which set speakers did you like?

I came to the event with my "enjoy" ears rather than my "critical" ears, but I can say that I was impressed. Those little drivers make a surprisingly big sound, and the lack of crossovers is clearly beneficial. My previous experiences with single-driver speakers have not been that great (aggressive-sounding Lowthers, etc.) so I was especially pleased to find them easy on the ears.

Because of my unfamiliarity with the product line and the visual similarities, I wasn't always sure of what I was listening to, so I can't be specific about my favorites. And I didn't ever hear the tall skinny ones with multiple drivers, which were spoken highly of by other attendees.

But I can see why there is such interest in these speakers, and I look forward to my future project with the Alpair7PeN's I took home with me.

Gary Dahl

Hello Tinkertoys:
I am pretty sure the Spanish Flamenco guitar guy was Jesse Cook. Another great Canadian.

certainly has chops and puts on one helluva fun live concert

Stairway to heaven by Rodrigo Y Gabriela?

now those kids can play - my fingers get sore just listening to them

Gary - that's very diplomatic - keep in mind that whatever you build with the little 7Ps won't be in the same universe as your big system, but rather easier to transport

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just got a batch of photos from Ruth (will take me a bit topost them all)… you guys can add comments…

1st up, front deck. Mostly speakers made by Chris (mostly) & Bernie. Mostly designs by Scott Lindgren or myself.

dave

Attachments

• diy_15_60.jpg
    diy_15_60.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 206
  • dMK73-diy_15_17.jpg
    dMK73-diy_15_17.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 87
  • diy_15_15.jpg
    diy_15_15.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 71
  • TC9-diy_15_13.jpg
    TC9-diy_15_13.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 69
  • diy_15_18.jpg
    diy_15_18.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 65
  • A7p-MTM-diy_15_14.jpg
    A7p-MTM-diy_15_14.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 82
  • FHXL-A10p-diy_15_12.jpg
    FHXL-A10p-diy_15_12.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 758
  • diy_15_16.jpg
    diy_15_16.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 212
  • diy_15_11.jpg
    diy_15_11.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 208
  • diy_15_10.jpg
    diy_15_10.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 204
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
People 1

Attachments

• diy_15_34.jpg
    diy_15_34.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 111
  • diy_15_33.jpg
    diy_15_33.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 109
  • diy_15_31.jpg
    diy_15_31.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 97
  • diy_15_29.jpg
    diy_15_29.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 106
  • diy_15_28.jpg
    diy_15_28.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 110
  • diy_15_27.jpg
    diy_15_27.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 122
  • diy_15_26.jpg
    diy_15_26.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 112
  • diy_15_6.jpg
    diy_15_6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 115
  • diy_15_3.jpg
    diy_15_3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 110
  • diy_15_02.jpg
    diy_15_02.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.