• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 gain test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't like the 12AX7 or 12AU7 for much more than guitar amplifier applications. I find that the 12AX7 takes too much work to perform well for low distortion... and the 6N2P or 6SL7 will work much better in their place, albeit with lower gain. The 12AU7 usually ends up a cathode follower to be useful when I have to use them. The 6CG7, 6SN7, or 6N1P are much better choices for applications that need similar gain and lower plate resistance.

artosalo said:
Cathode bias is negative feedback for DC, which means that it essentially "hide" some difference between the tubes under test.
But grid leak bias varies quite a bit from valve to valve, so is a poor way to compare them unless you intend to use this bias method in the actual circuit.

12AX7/ECC83 is fine when you want high gain and low distortion and are prepared to do a proper design. If not, use an easier valve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.