100 Reasons to go to IKEA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IKEA Sale items

Every number of years they alter their width/depth size range for some obscure reason, benefit is that "old" size merchandise goes on sale.
My last IKEA "audio" catch were Anordna 14.5'x12' and 14.5'x15.75' glass shelfs, have predilled holes in the corners.
Bought 112 of them for $0.25 each, used to be $6 and $7.50 overhere.

For the top lid of the 11'x4'x16' (WxHxD) Aleph-J monoblocks i hacked together i used current series 15.75'x7.5' Lillangen glass shelfs, $5 each.

Attachments

• lilla.jpg
    lilla.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 917
good for speaker cabs too?

+1 for the EXPEDIT. I have the 4 X 2 turned horizontally and braced at the back for stability. Love it.

I'll also add:

Reason #5: BILLY wall shelves for CD storage.

Matt

I have (on another DIY site) commented on the possibilities of using some of the EXPEDIT shelving units as the basis for speaker cabinets. Another candidate might be the very inexpensive LACK coffee table, which can also be used as an equipment shelf when the legs are cut shorter.

It's great for me that I live about 15 minutes away from an IKEA!

-Charlie

Up to 19 reasons now!

Hey people, This is great! I just counted through ´em all and we´re up to 19 ways of using stuff for what it´s not intended. :nod:.

I have always considered IKEA an unintended parts supplier for creative activity. Deconstruct, cut, combine. I can´t think of anything in our house except a shelf that is used exactly as it was built or for the purpose intended.

So keep the good stuff coming, this is really inspiring.

On my Blog I have now posted a description of how to open the candle holder and mount a socket in it.
Take a look here: TAO of Tubes: Building a spherical driver tube cabinet

Reason #3 Spherical candle holder, called NÄSSJÖ. It fits perfectly as a base for a GU-32 dual tetrode power tube. It is thin walled aluminum so there is room for electronics inside. Diameter: 14 cm Height: 11 cm
Get your inspiration here: Electronluv

Reason #4 NÄSSJÖ in a smaller version suitable for a driver tube such as the 12AT7 in this case. Lets say you had an RCA connector in the bottom and a volume knob in the front.

Then mount the whole thing to a polished chassis containing transformers etc. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.