1.28 Billion US Dollars - to play or not to play. That is the question

@egellings Have you seen the price of the ultra high end? Especially interconnects? Yes, these are only in the tens of thousands each, but you'll need several per listening room per house you own. Let's say 5 houses, 3 rooms each, that 15 rooms worth if interconnects, power cables, usb cables, voodoo accessories.. /s

Best Interconnects: $10,000 and Up

plus Pass Amps (just a dream), huge record collection, massive 6 figure speakers, all for each room. And turntables that quote weight by the ton. And a top of the line iPhone to play ACC over bluetooth. :)

Well yeah, I guess that's only a few million total. You win, send some equipment my way. ;)
I 'spoze. Fortunately, that is a problem I will never have to deal with.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@egellings Have you seen the price of the ultra high end? Especially interconnects? Yes, these are only in the tens of thousands each, but you'll need several per listening room per house you own. Let's say 5 houses, 3 rooms each, that 15 rooms worth if interconnects, power cables, usb cables, voodoo accessories.. /s

Best Interconnects: $10,000 and Up

plus Pass Amps (just a dream), huge record collection, massive 6 figure speakers, all for each room. And turntables that quote weight by the ton. And a top of the line iPhone to play ACC over bluetooth. :)

Forget it... if you won 400M, lump sum, after taxes..

I would hire my own musicians... the heck with a stereo.

It is all about what you enjoy.
Gambling of any sort for the purpose of hoping to better ones situation in the world is pretty silly. But, occasionally gambling an amount you won't even notice losing because you get some enjoyment out of it seems fine.

For all the people saying it is just ridiculous to even buy one ticket:
Think how silly some people think we are for what many of us spend on audio regularly. There are countless things that people spend money on that other people think are ridiculous wastes. Stop and look at everything you spend money on in a given timeframe and ask yourself which of those things are absolutely necessary or will contribute to a better future for you and could not be achieved for less money. I'm guessing a crap load are just because you want them or even if you can defend them as being necessary you probably got a more expensive version because you wanted it more...
It is a bit like people that dismiss DIY as being a waste because 'their time is worth money', sure that makes sense if everything they do with every minute of the day is making money. Otherwise they are wasting time all day long on things that they probably enjoy less than we enjoy building audio.

What is worse: spending a dollar on a candy bar (they once sold for that, really) that is actually bad for me or spending a dollar on a lottery ticket? Now if you are buying 100 candy bars or 100 tickets both aren't very smart decisions.

A little frivolity is fun. Regularly making lottery tickets your main investment in your future... that's a problem.

It is difficult to improve the situation in the world in this way, but to spend time in pleasure is what you need.

A problem I see with a big winning like that is if my name gets published as the winner. I'd be like a freshly dropped dog poop, covered in flies. The flies would be a big problem--everyone begging me for donations. I'll pass. The money I have, although not large, is adequate for me.

I get enough people and organizations begging for donations as it is. My wife had some $600 a month worth of those stupid “but it’s only $19 a month just 63 cents a day” gift/subscriptions on her credit card when we finally closed the account. And the amount of junk mail on their behalf 2 years later has yet to subside. Then they somehow get wind that we’re spending not a billion with a “B”, but less than a million with an “M” on our little ranch*ette* and it ramps up yet again. Along with all those constant offers to buy the “vacant” land for 30 cents on the dollar. If I ran into real money I’d put what I really wanted/needed out of it in some corporation, let the vultures run for a while and then fake my death. Resurface under the corporation in about 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I play the Euromillions lottery - €2.5 - that won't buy a crap 1 small glass of commercial beer in a cafe here in France. I have spurts of winning €4-5. I remember in the UK in the national lottery, a Pakistani man won about £90 million. In 6 months his marriage was gone, he acquired relatives he never knew he had - he was not a happy bunny. You have to have a very composed and balanced mentality to handle big wins, most people don't.

Have you gone to the movies lately? Tickets for two people plus popcorn, soda, and a pack of candy costs way more than a few lottery tickets. When the dumb movie is over your cash is also foolishly blown. At least with a couple of lottery tickets you get a thrill and actually have a chance of some benefit. Mind rotting movie watching can't offer that...

Don't get me started on spending on foolish audio gadgets, either. Cable risers. Audiophile mains cables, speaker cables, interconnects, etc. There's the fool!

Reactions: 1 users