0.1% resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: 0.1% resistors

Russ White said:

Yes, I have bought the IRC type from Mouser. It looks to me like the leads are steel.

IRC's 0.1% are the better priced at Mouser. The IRC datasheet says the terminals are "Solder Coated Copper Leads". But they can be copper-clad steel, as most coaxial cables are.

In any case, these resistors are even more expensive than the LM318 itself, and we need four of them per channel.

Has anyone tried other brands and suppliers?

As I have a lot of 1% 47K and 22K resistors, I could still try at least matching pairs to 0.1% for each channel.

Carlos

Re: Re: Re: 0.1% resistors

carlmart said:

IRC's 0.1% are the better priced at Mouser. The IRC datasheet says the terminals are "Solder Coated Copper Leads". But they can be copper-clad steel, as most coaxial cables are.

In any case, these resistors are even more expensive than the LM318 itself, and we need four of them per channel.

Has anyone tried other brands and suppliers?

As I have a lot of 1% 47K and 22K resistors, I could still try at least matching pairs to 0.1% for each channel.

Carlos

Yep, well matched 1% metal film is fine there. I ask about this quite some time ago.

The IRCs do look really cool though. ;)

I'm currently working on building some Aleph-X amps that require careful matching of parts across the circut. I purchased some Dale RN60D 1% from Mouser and used my LCR meter to match them. If I needed 12 of some particular value resistor, I purchased 16 of them. I was then able to find plenty of matches at about the 0.01% level.

There really is no need that I can see to spend extra money on .1% from production.

Eric

Matching

My LCR meter only reads 100 ohm increments when on a scale for the 22K and 47K resistors. This only gets me a little past 0.5% for the 22K and 0.25% for the 47K. Next option is the Simpson 260, but parallax makes reading any closer pretty iffy.
All the 1% Dale I checked are non-magnetic. So you should be fine with these. The internal end cap where the leads connect to the film is any area where most generics use steel. It is hard to tell, but sometimes the body will stick to a magnet and the leads will not.
I am still bummed after measuring out enough old Holcos to build two amps and finding the leads will not fit the holes. Guess if this is my biggest problem, things are good.

George

slackman said:
Are you in need of the exact values or do you need same values for two circuits (stereo ex.)?

If you only need same values, take two of the same charge. They'll be nearly the same, less then 1% difference.

Michael
Sometimes there is difficulties finding even 0.1% difference from same batch of 1% resistors. ie trying to find 1.005 kohms from 1.0k resistors and after measuring twenty of them you end up with 20 pcs of 0.995k

:D

Perhaps I got lucky with ordering 1% from Mouser.

One thing I did notice is that when I got a small number of resistors (say 15-20) there was greater variance in the lot than when I ordered 100 pieces that arrived a full box that was all from the same production run. The variance among the Dales from the box of 100 pieces was far smaller than the 15-20 random quantity for other values. Guess this is not really a surprise, because each box is marked with its specific production data, so they are all from the same run.

Also, a few years ago, I purchased a pile of Shinkoh Tantalum 1% 1/2w resistors from AudioNote on closeout. Even though they are 1%, they routinely mached at the 0.05% to 0.01% level. For example, If I had 32 pieces of the 220R, 30 of them would measure 219.80 and the remaining two would measure 219.86 or so. Very tight tolerance on these, but then again, they cost nearly $3 each.

The Dales don't match that nicely, but among 10-12 samples, I could easily find 4 or 5 pairs that matched at 0.05 to 0.01%.

motherone said:
If you need tightly matched resistors, check surplussales.com .. They have a ton of them, and they're cheap. The only problem is you might have a few different vendors on your board if you go that route :D

Thanks for the tip on surplussales.

Unfortunately their prices are not so "surplus" though, with 0.1% resistors at the same prices I get from Mouser.

Carlos

Gasho said:
Try Farnell , they have precision Welwyn resistors. RC 55 series , military grade.

Farnell is good for who's living in Europe, not in the USA.

In any case their prices are same or higher than Mouser on their 0.1% resistors. If I can't get better prices than Mouser I will buy from them.

Also checked that my DMM meter can only resolve in hundredths of ohm, so I won't be able to select 0.1% precision from my 1%.

Carlos

Resitor choices

I stopped at a local surplus shop to pick up some 47K and 22K 1/4w 1% Dale RN 55 resistors. Picked up plenty, to allow for tighter matching.
Looked in the next rack and there were the precision resistors. Found some Vishay S102, but the closest values are 22.5K and 50K. These are marked 0.01%. Picked up four of each value.
This might be the wrong thread, but will subbing 22.5K and 50K effect the operation of the circuit? It most likely will take Mauro to answer this.
If they will not work, I can go through and match up the Dales. Need to move on to the chassis. Hoping to listen to this soon.
While at I might as well as if my input stage is a problem, used a 45K input impedance setting resistor and a 2.2 ufd cap to keep the filter at the same frquency. Never loaded my preamp with 100K, always used 25K. Changing the load on a transformer can cause resonances.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.