• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Correct... Square wave rise/fall time is rated at less than 50 ns 10V peak-to-peak under ideal conditions. But it is not as simple as that, because from past experience I noticed there seemed to be some dependency on the selected frequency range, too.

Can't say I ever verified the fine print, but I can take a look next time I use it. Never really been an issue for audio before.

P.S. The small edge you had might just be the amp input had no 50 Ohm feedthru. What was the LPF freq you used at its input?
That is possible, I used a piece of coax attached to a few inches of audio cable, hardly ideal.

The input filter is exactly (same values) as shown in Shaan's schematic. In addition to that, 47pf at the VAS transistors (none shown on that schematic), 100R and 130R gate resistors at the SK1058/SJ162 no Zobel installed on the board at the time of test.

What is the -3dB of the working closed loop amp? You can check that point for a sinewave going from 6 graticules down to 4.25 since you got 4MHZ gen capability. Shaan's 1k 100pF input LPF should kick in for about -3dB @ 1.6MHZ anyway.
I can read the scope, and calculate the corner frequency, n/p there. I intend to repeat some of the tests anyway, and I will make a note of 3 db freq at the high end. At the moment I just remember it was well above what I was interested in at the time.

If I am going to test above 100K, we should also decide on what kind of load to use for the test, if any.

Hi lazy cat,

One quick question, can you help me to build the cute little headphone amp base on vssa topology?

Thanks in advance

The best would be exactly the same VSSA PCB as it is now, only with +/-20 V PSU and a little serial output resistance, 22 Ohm or so to suit your type of headphones. The good thing would be pure class-A and still small heatsink. ;)

Aha,

I need to drive 20 - 60 ohm in ear monitor and headphone, and my stax lambda as well with the equalizer.

Thank lazy cat

You have to know the ALF double mosfet is a very good device and small VSSA layout has very low noise, ideal for headphones. Serial resistance value have to be tested to find most suitable. Also serves as a protection against full output, short circuit etc.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

Heatsink testing in forthcoming VSSA home (old Rotel amp).

VSSA_home.JPG

Heat sinks not so big but still manages about 20C above ambient at ~14W (VSSA bias).

Looking forward to this build :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can read the scope, and calculate the corner frequency, n/p there. I intend to repeat some of the tests anyway, and I will make a note of 3 db freq at the high end. At the moment I just remember it was well above what I was interested in at the time.

If I am going to test above 100K, we should also decide on what kind of load to use for the test, if any.

Just nominal Ohmic.