• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 SE design recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RDH4 was on Greg's (geek's) website somewhere. For some reason I can't find it now. When I do, I'll post the url.

EDIT: I feel like an idiot :( ... It was on the front page of his website. Here is a link

Thanks to Greg (Geek), Tim (Sch3mat1c) and Chocky (?) for making this happen :wave2:

They need mirrors desperately to share the load around (the entire book is around 77MB), so anyone with spare webspace and bandwidth...

Re: EF86

chrisb said:
Alex, I hope my last post didn't sound petulant - that was not my intention.

While I'm at it, I should mention that the next scheduled revision is to change the input tube to an EF86 (once again courtesy of my "mystery" benefactor) Since I've got another 3 day weekend, I'll probably implement that before your reply.

cheers y'all

:drink:

Well Dave, even tho I got a late start this evening, I did manage to get the EF86's installed - may need to add a little attenuation - rather a lot of gain. Also eliminated the last RC filter stage per Eddie's suggestion, perhaps prematurely; along with the intense gain we got some Lou back. I'll report further after a few hours of music. so far sounds promising. maybe I should stop now

"what, you're 'sposed to listen to them? Then how can you tell how good they are, if you're not comparing notes with the other geeks?
:xeye:

good night all

LOTS OF THINGS TO DO...

Hi to all,
I missed the forum the last couple of days -- I have not even had the chance to go online.

First of all, I would like to comment on the RDH4 -- when I read that "we'll end up with RH" I got very interested, since I've never heard of the RDH4, and never read it, of course. But, what I saw was but a general schematics -- now it remains to be read (when I find it online) whether there is some concrete explanation how to do it. But I fear not, since it will most probably just address the feedback to be applied between anodes etc. So, for as much as I'm concerned, that is just another interesting text from the times of old when tubes glowed bold.

Furthermore, the RH6550 is slowly making progress... now the rectifier is an AX50, giving it the best sound yet. But, it is not the mercury vapor rectifier that is blessed with good sound -- I recon that is more about the fact that 6550, KT88, KT90 (Ei) are "ugly brutes" that should not be treated kindly. Insertion of the AX50 has risen the B+ to a value where there is 400V across the output tube and some 110mA drawn by the cathode... consequently, the dissipation is now reaching max. values - and the sound is improving (mostly) because of that -- although the output transformer arrangement that it has (momentarily) to work with is to say the least "ridiculous". Great bass, too.

Well, the schematics for RH2G is more resemblant to the mentioned John Broskie article. But, with all due respect to Mr. Broskie, and all other people who have contributed to tube design in the previous century :) I feel the need to give myself a little credit -- I'm self taught, meaning that I have no formal electronics training (economist and scientifical-technical translator). Therefore, I had to learn all that I know by reading and thinking... without direct tutors or anything. Furthermore, when someone writes a teoretical article on his idea, or whatever (i.e. some notion from an old and forgotten textbook) -- that is one pair of shoes. Implementing it in practice, knowing what and why to do in order to find the right values -- that is a different pair of shoes. At least to me. And should deserve some credit.

Finally, about the EF86 implementation: well, I have previously mentioned that instead of the ECC81 driver ECC83 could be directly substituted, with the previously mentioned consequences etc. BUT, substituting one tube for another is not necessarily leading to better results, no matter what the teory might imply. Unless these results are "above the theoretical plane" meaning that i.e. using a pentode (higher output impedance) current "source" might lead to better sound or something. Furthermore, just substituting anything for whatever, without further substitution of circuit parts is not necessarily a good option.

That's it for now... Actually, posting on the forum regularly is a bit difficult for me, because unlike most of you (I presume) I do not have ADSL or whatever 24hrs online access, but a mere dial-up, further worsened by years of monopoly in the state where I live (meaning that both telecommunications provider and internet provider are far from being good... and face no real competition, either because of signed agreements with the government (!) or because they where there first and now there is noone with enough starting capital to be able to surpass them on a massive scale...) -- therefore writing posts regularly is to say the least "challenging". So, feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Regards,
Aleksandar

Re: LOTS OF THINGS TO DO...

Alex Kitic said:
Hi to all,
I missed the forum the last couple of days -- I have not even had the chance to go online.

The forum went offline till a few hours ago, so you didn't miss anything :D

Alex Kitic said:
So, for as much as I'm concerned, that is just another interesting text from the times of old when tubes glowed bold.

The RDH4 was, and still is the most respected text for general information about valves and valve circuits. It is well worth a read.

I also read somewhere that this sort of plate-to-plate feedback was popular in the output stages of antique radios.

Alex Kitic said:
I feel the need to give myself a little credit -- I'm self taught, meaning that I have no formal electronics training (economist and scientifical-technical translator). Therefore, I had to learn all that I know by reading and thinking... without direct tutors or anything.

Same here. Completely self-taught..... So I come up with ideas which I think are original, only to find someone else beat me to it fifty years ago. Such is life. But it doesn't matter if it's been thought of before, it was an original idea to you and that is what matters (along with good music ;) )

Alex Kitic said:
Actually, posting on the forum regularly is a bit difficult for me, because unlike most of you (I presume) I do not have ADSL or whatever 24hrs online access, but a mere dial-up, further worsened by years of monopoly in the state where I live (meaning that both telecommunications provider and internet provider are far from being good... and face no real competition, either because of signed agreements with the government (!) or because they where there first and now there is noone with enough starting capital to be able to surpass them on a massive scale...) -- therefore writing posts regularly is to say the least "challenging". So, feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Alex, you're not alone. I am on dial-up too.... the 'horse and cart' version of the internet - or maybe I should say the valve version? :D (well they're both obsolete technologies). It took me about ten hours to download the RDH4.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: LOTS OF THINGS TO DO...

Alex Kitic said:
Hi to all,

First of all, I would like to comment on the RDH4 -- when I read that "we'll end up with RH" I got very interested, since I've never heard of the RDH4, and never read it, of course. But, what I saw was but a general schematics -- now it remains to be read (when I find it online) whether there is some concrete explanation how to do it. But I fear not, since it will most probably just address the feedback to be applied between anodes etc. So, for as much as I'm concerned, that is just another interesting text from the times of old when tubes glowed bold.

Regards,
Aleksandar

send me a mail to my private addy (you know it) and I'll send ya RDH4 on CD

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Choky...

Alex Kitic said:
Hi, Choky...

I seem to recall having chatted with you before... but I cannot find your address. Please send me an e-mail to my address... and I will reply (if that's what you ment).

Regards,
Aleksandar

:)

I send ya mail at "marketing............"
if that is not good enough,you can reach me via forum mail servicce or directly at
chokyATeunet.yu

hehe-I'm glad that you didn't try to translate "I mi konja za trku imamo " in our foreign affair minister's style ;)
cheers to all

dying thread

Hi to everyone...

Nothing special happened on this thread for some time... is it dying? Should we start some other thread to cover "partial feedback issues"?

Thanks for the translation, Milan MoAmps... although it does not translate the feeling as it originally is. As a linguist, I was not eager to try and translate that... and repeat the errors already made by our government... :)

Thanks for the link (and invitation, I think), druze Yugovitz! I will attend shortly...

And, Audiousername... you could send me an e-mail. I think we could exchange more taughts that way.

Regards to everyone...
Aleksandar

PS
Come on, I expect to find all sorts of things on this thread by morning, when I will be watching it while I download various necessities... even foul language will do, just to keep it alive? :) Just kidding...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
seems I remember you sez that developing RH idea was happen' during one year ,when you were (jebes ga ,engleska vremena ce uvek ostati nepoznanica za mene ...hehe) unemployed ,when your primary
occupation was babysiting.... :clown:
after your mail ,in which you explained that things to me,I just dropped in all sorts of baaad and good things--my father died after long and bad period of illnes, my baby Isidora is born (now 10 months "old") etc.
those are the reasons why I can't put more efforts and time in hobby side of my audio and electronic activity.
I have dismantled one little Tesla stereo amp with 2x ECL82 (hehe-Teles...) waiting for da RH mode , but.........
I'm convinced that RH mode must be better than Triode or pentode mode , sollely based on my feeling for electronic (ya know ,I have that virus more than 20 yrs)
ok,stop with chating
you still didn't answered-did ya want that bloody RDH4 or not ;)
is your "marketing........." addy still valid?
cheers to all!

ADDRESS

Choky...

Thank you very much for reminding me! Babysitting it is...

Sorry about your father -- and congratulations on your daughter!

The address marketing@... is invalid since jan2003 -- I quit that job and promised myself I would never again work as a manager or director or similia... since other jobs pay even less, I committed myself to being a free-lance professional... long story, better results, but in a country that as you know does not acknowledge the existence of free-lance professionals. When it comes to paying income taxes, I'm the first -- but when it comes to righs derived from employment (or self-employment) I'm the last. No wonder we will enter the EU somewhere in the 23rd century... but you know that story from your own point of view.

Yes, I do want the RDH4! And, my address is listed on my site... I'll try to e-mail you as soon as I return home, but that is probably going to be late evening :(

Regards to all,
Aleksandar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.