• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 SE design recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alex, It might be useful if you enable the forum e-mail thinggy (sorry, I don't know its proper name :) )

Click on 'user cp' at the top, 'edit options' and check 'no' under 'hide e-mail address?'

On the matter of RDH4, you can always set the computer to download it overnight... It is certainly worth it.

Originally Posted by Alex Kitic
Should we start some other thread to cover "partial feedback issues"?
Yes, that would be a most excellent idea.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
audiousername said:
Alex, It might be useful if you enable the forum e-mail thinggy (sorry, I don't know its proper name :) )

Click on 'user cp' at the top, 'edit options' and check 'no' under 'hide e-mail address?'

On the matter of RDH4, you can always set the computer to download it overnight... It is certainly worth it.

Yes, that would be a most excellent idea.

Alex is mebbe purposelly disabled this E-mail forum thingie ;)
regarding RDH4 ,it's easier that I send CD version to him,and preserve some valuable Greggggggggggggggggg's bandwith

I can only say it works great with EL84's, so much so that I am buying 807's to do another amp this time not a retrofit but complete chassis.
Maybe I am a bit crazy to do this without first hearing the 807 version but this is the sound I like, very punchy and realistic (with EL84's anyway). I will try it as per Alexsanders original but also with the g2 fed from a voltage divider and perhaps also with tube regulation. I already ordered the parts which should be here on Wednesday. The only thing left to order is the opt of which I still have not decided on.

R.I.P. D.H.T.'s :devily:

Andrew

Dave,
yes I got 10 hopefully (they are being tested) coming which should last me the rest of my life. Or maybe one day I might get industrious and build a pp.

Audiousername,

They go on ebay for US$5 - US$10. each but you can get them from David Crittle at Retrovox for A$22.00. He has Sylvanias' in stock.

Or you could get the 12v 7 pin 1625 which is almost an 807 equivalent from A.E.S. for US$5;)

Andrew

807 indiscretion...

Hi, guys!

I've been busy, as always... new developments on the RH field... RH6550 reaching a point where further thinking and trying is not necessary (except trying the pentode version)... and, I'm also working on a new RH with powerful tubes :)

But, regarding Andrewbee's confidence, I have to commit an indiscretion -- I have received a few days ago an email from a person who has finally completed his RH807... and am hereby quoting him in part:

It does sound very good, very close to my World Audio Design 300B PSE monoblocks. It has been built using good quality components, Tantalum resistors for signal,PIO coupling caps, Black gates for cathode bypass, Sowter SA02 output transformers, NOS RCA 807's.

The amp looks nice, too... another reason why am I mentioning this is his suggestion for parts. What makes me a little sad is the fact that he did not state the RH807 outclassing the WAD300B PSE monoblocks... and I think that is due to a difference i power, mostly ;)

Regards to all,
Aleksandar

I just took a look at the Sowter SA02 and it looks to be on the small side for this application.
45mA Dc for the primary and 5Watts max @20 cycles.
I have not built so have not measured nor looked at the curves but looking at the RH807 I would the 807 think its pulling close to 60mA or so , correct me if I am wrong. So, if I am correct then that core must be more than saturated with so much current going through it.

Andrew

I'm building the RH 84 SE

I'm collecting parts for Alex's RH 84 SE. I recently picked up an old console and now have a chassis, 2 GE el84, 2 GE 12at7, and a Amperex EZ81 rectifier.

I'm sure I have a few passives in the junk box. I'll report back once I get it working.

BTW, I was able to get the existing 12ax7->el84 SE working but before I start tweaking it (removing tone controls, swap in better coupling caps, ...), just build something from scratch.

I assume this schematic is still correct.

rick

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On Saturday, we converted my Mulligan to an approximation of the RH84 using parts i had kicking around... this amp shows real promise (we had Chris' EF86/EL84 monobloks for comparison)... it is now on the bench for some fine tuning, and Chris is considering converting his monoblocks...

With Alex, Gary Pimm, & Pete Millet championing this kind of circuit it looks like the Pentode is starting to get some respect :)

I wonder now about a separate regulated supply for the screens?

dave

EL84RH/DD

planet10 said:
On Saturday, we converted my Mulligan to an approximation of the RH84 using parts i had kicking around... this amp shows real promise (we had Chris' EF86/EL84 monobloks for comparison)... it is now on the bench for some fine tuning, and Chris is considering converting his monoblocks...

With Alex, Gary Pimm, & Pete Millet championing this kind of circuit it looks like the Pentode is starting to get some respect :)

I wonder now about a separate regulated supply for the screens?

dave

Since the "Mulligan Signature Series" consist of components from various vintage amp "organ donors" (FrankenAmp :cannotbe: ) , none of our power supply configurations will necessarily match Alex's exactly. In addition, we're playing with our own experiments on filtering options.

In any case, Dave could you retreive that cocktail napkin sketch from the paper recycle with your notes as to the revised R & C values for this particular specimen?

Dave, et all,

After having built numerous versions of SE EL84 amps from triode connected to pentode to shunt feed and many variations on each theme in between, I can say that the RH mode works best of all to my ears.
I built one soon after the original thread began and have not looked back. I am not using any fancy parts, Hammond pwr trannie, solen I think coupling caps, 125ese opt's and a mixture of metal film and metal oxide resistors, basically what I had lying around.

I had my doubts about the screen supply using just a series resistor but methinks with sufficient B+ capacitance it works, as a matter of fact I know it works because I left it as is and bass is not a problem.

I was so impressed with it that I bought parts to build an 807 version including Lundahl 1663 opt's, dynamicaps, mills resistors, ASC caps in the P.S etc. I am going all out with this one. I only hope that with the fancy parts the sound does not deteriorate.
The RH 84 really is an excellent sounding amp.

Andrew

Hi Rick

I don't remember exactly what I measured it at but am sure its within at least 5% of what is on the schematic, and am using a single 5? H choke with about 300uF. If you really want to know I will check it again but I am going to pull it apart soon to build the 807 version as I need the pwr trans :D

I usually measure the voltages and currents and write them on the schematics but did not do it this time, probably because I they were all okay and I did not intend to leave the amp as is on it recycled chassis. I pulled apart a 5v6 se amp and cut out a piece and added a plate on top for the tubes. Even the inputs connectors are still extra long and hanging out.

Andrew

front

Attachments

• dscf0021.jpg
    dscf0021.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,467
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.