• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 SE design recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Underneath, this style of wiring takes many many years of experience to accomplish so do not be disappointed if you fail to be as good as I am for many years.;)
I don't use a breadboard anymore I use this chassis instead.

Attachments

• dscf0025.jpg
    dscf0025.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,542
wire nuts

only an experienced and confident builder would trust his recycled treasure parts to wire nuts vs that pesky solder business

are those Jennifer Crock cryo-treated 6-9's silver connectors?

Seriously - I think we've all got a few projects under our belts that don't look this good under the skirt.

Kyle,
I don't know what the output impedance is but this thing has bass, unlike your typical whimpy SET.:devilr:

It also does not suffer from that "all music sounds super smooth like a smoky jazz club" kind of washiness that the typical SET also suffers from;)

Build it and let us know what you think.

bohhwwwhahahahahahah.

Andrew

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Andrewbee
sounds like a killer setup in the car :D

no AC doesn't play very loud... and the cable running up to the other speaker in the house restricts mobility.

You should try it out in the house, its really a great amp, I've never heard Tannoys but heard much great stuff about them.

I've always wanted to listen to tannoys, so when i was offered a pair fairly cheap....

It is all hooked up and playing in the main system now... when i get my USB DAC this upcoming week, i'm going to try it directly into the RH84. BB iMac->RH84 -> Tannoy D50s.

Despite being rated at 92 dB, my 1st impression is that the 90 dB Fostex horns were more efficient.

dave

Andrew
no AC doesn't play very loud... and the cable running up to the other speaker in the house restricts mobility.

LOL

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the RH84 when you get your dac. I am now working on a RH807.

Is the Tannoy a multiway speaker and how does it sound?
Will you be using the BB as a music server?
I got a "new" G5 1.8GHZ from Hurricane Ivan, just needed to replace the PS and its been going since, good thing as my Flat Panel imac needs a logic bd and I was hoping to use the imac as a music server. One step forward, one step back, at least its not 2 steps back.

A mini mac would probably make a great music server, add a flat panel and a rodent, remotely administer it. Oops ! wrong forum, this should be about audio
:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Andrewbee
Is the Tannoy a multiway speaker and how does it sound?

8" dual concentric. I'm reserving judgement on them for awhile.

Will you be using the BB as a music server?

Yes. Total cost so far $83 CAD.

A mini mac would probably make a great music server, add a flat panel and a rodent, remotely administer it. Oops ! wrong forum, this should be about audio
:D

Digital source -- that's audio :)

dave

My RH84 is up and running

I just finished building wood front and sides yesterday to my RH84. Attached is a pic. The speakers are from the same console. The backs are open.

Not sure where I'll use it but it was fun.

rick

Attachments

• rh84small1.jpg
    rh84small1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,138
Another design for El84 Amp

Im still working my way throgh this monster thead, but
here is my design for an EL84 Amp

http://www.solderingpoint.com/projects/6bq5compact/6bq5compact.php

It has channel separated stabilized Mosfet Supply, no noise or hum is detectable and i think it sounds excellent.

I have made a PCB layout for it, so it can be built easily.

regards
MV

Hi !

i have a question and thought i should use this old thread as this one had the most discussion on the RH84SE design by Mr. Kitic.

Now I'm building this design as being my very first amp,
but unfortunatly I only have a pair of 10K OPT's, instead of the 5K OPT's recommended.

Is there a problem in using these ?

Cheers,

empee

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A lot of the german OPTs i've salvaged are 10k and they work fine from a sonics POV.

The ones that are in the RH84 variation i'm listening to now are 8K to 4 ohms. I'm using them with 8 ohm speakers so they are really 16k OPTs and i'm happy with how they sound (these same amps -- parafeed with trioded EF86 driver tubes), held their ground against a buddies set of AudioNote Conquerors).

dave

THE BEST CIRCUIT?

Dear all,

Alex is back... at least for now. And, I could not stop myself from reacting to the "best circuit". Since when? And why? And according to whom?

Now that I am not bound to dial-up services any more, I might just read the rest of the thread before offending anyone or offending my own intelligence.

But,

whenever someone says "this is the best", I am almost certain that it is far from the truth.

This circuit is, as far as I have seen it, a common pentode in ultra-linear mode... so, what's new or best? The drivers asset? The power supply? The charisma of the author?

I am certain that it does not outperform any similar EL34 design! What about originality?

Regards to all,
Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.