• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Hi all,

I've just built 6V6 pre for my friend. Here are some pics. Sound is very good on mid, bass and rich tone.

My schema is based on Salas' one, but I use AC filament with hang of 40Vdc. PSU is with 5V4 tube, CLCRCLC for separate chanel. No hum AC, but I have some hizz on one chanel. I think it's tube noise.

Attachments

• my 6V6 preamp.jpg
    my 6V6 preamp.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 530
  • in the sound test.jpg
    in the sound test.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 520
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all,

I've just built 6V6 pre for my friend. Here are some pics. Sound is very good on mid, bass and rich tone.

My schema is based on Salas' one, but I use AC filament with hang of 40Vdc. PSU is with 5V4 tube, CLCRCLC for separate chanel. No hum AC, but I have some hizz on one chanel. I think it's tube noise.

Good looks. Did you take any anti microphonic measures? Its the common cathode 15dB gain circuit yes?

Nice Salas. I had kids here today so it was more Minecrafting then soldering but I made those:

The hawkeyed can see that it has the same screwhole placement as SSHV2, so I can interchange them. The cap-thingy will become an R-C then.

I also did some quick voltage measurement and I ended up between 245 and 310 V B+ with 2,2-6,6 k as last R. That puts the bias to between 16,6 to 21 V which might put me in a strange little corner on the curves. Maybe a 680 DCR LL1660 would be more suitable.

Then I'm stuck with a strange groundnoice. I rewired stargrounding without results. DC-filaments and more smoothing C dont affect it.

Well, one's got to save some for the day after...

Staffan

Is there a possibility something oscillates there? What does the scope show?

Thats possible. Usually that takes us to motorboating but i can easily swap the filterchoke to a resistor and see if it there. I could also rig the scope. Its downhill skiing on the agenda tomorrow so lets see what it brings.

I changed last RC and also second C a couple of times so it shouldnt be there . And its overkill 1 k carbons on the grids. But you never know with chokes and capacitors.