What are you drinking?

For as long as I can remember, this has been my favourite foreign beer. The original Pilsner.

Although I admit to pronouncing it wrong for the first 25 years. It's actually pronounced 'er KWEL' in English. We always called it 'er KEL' as if it was French or something :)

If you like bock beers try and get hold of Einbecker Urbock which is the original bock beer as mentioned by Martin Luther his writings.

Btw 'Ur-' means 'original' or 'ancient' and '-quell' or 'quelle' means 'source' or 'spring' or in german.

origin/primaeval (oer in D)

Are you, a dutch person, now giving german lessons to me, a german person? ;-)

That said I could do with lessons in the Groningen dialect of dutch as that is very much like the german dialect (plattdeutsch) spoken where I was born. I always felt cheated that my parents moved away from there when I was too young to pick it up.

"Ur" is actually semitic in origin. It means "city," derived from the Sumerian city of Ur. For example, Abraham was reputed to have been born in "ur chasdim," which translates from Hebrew roughly as "city of the Chaldeans." If I'm not mistaken, in modern Hebrew, the word has mutated to "eer."