What are you drinking?

If you like bock beers try and get hold of Einbecker Urbock which is the original bock beer as mentioned by Martin Luther his writings.

My great uncle worked in a brewery at Freising and told this anecdote

Every so often, some workers secretly took a keg of bock beer, not to be discovered, the barrel would be completely empty.

The funny thing was his words to describe a slight drunkenness

"We were drinking up to ten liters of beer, and yet we could find our homes..." :D

Last edited:
My great uncle worked in a brewery at Freising and told this anecdote

Every so often, some workers secretly took a keg of bock beer, not to be discovered, the barrel would be completely empty.

The funny thing was his words to describe a slight drunkenness

"We were drinking up to ten liters of beer, and yet we could find our homes..." :D

When I first worked at the Deutsche Oper in (West-)Berlin I turned up just when a truck from a local brewery was unloading. Seeing dozens and dozens of crates coming off it I obviously assumed that the canteen was restocking.
Turns out it was a private delivery just for the stage crew.
Every one of them had a family-sized fridge just for beer, may be leaving room for a couple of home-made sandwiches.
A couple of weeks before I started one of the stage crew had told his wife that he had to do a double shift which he didn't. He spent the full extra 8 hours drinking, walked out of the building and dropped dead from acute alcohol poisoning not 50m from the gate.

The reason I suspected coincidence was because I found out that the Shona term for 'Do you smoke?' is exactly the same (spelling and pronounciation) as the italian slang word for 'prostitute'.
Shona also has a number of words which are, equally coincidentally, very similar to japanese words with a completely different, unrelated meaning.

(Shona is one of the languages spoken in Zimbabwe.)

When I first worked at the Deutsche Oper in (West-)Berlin I turned up just when a truck from a local brewery was unloading. Seeing dozens and dozens of crates coming off it I obviously assumed that the canteen was restocking.
Turns out it was a private delivery just for the stage crew.
Every one of them had a family-sized fridge just for beer, may be leaving room for a couple of home-made sandwiches.
A couple of weeks before I started one of the stage crew had told his wife that he had to do a double shift which he didn't. He spent the full extra 8 hours drinking, walked out of the building and dropped dead from acute alcohol poisoning not 50m from the gate.

Unfortunately, Deutsche Oper Berlin has some tragical history, and that worker died drunk, a director also died while conducting Verdi's Aida, just to mention one...

However, I envy you, I must resign myself with recordings, and the best beer here is Isenbeck, until 2010 was part of Warsteiner, not anymore, but still reasonably good.

I don't like Heineken, it is too bitter, and Stella Artois reminds me the smell of skunk, I guess it is a problem only here. :D

Cockburn's special reserve port - I love the way it warms the throat as you swallow it. Like cognac, but I am off hard liquor, so this is good. Is there some other port that is similar, but lighter in body and better? I would love to buy it the next time I am at a duty free store.