Volvotreter 20Hz Tapped Horn build (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks friend,i've just finished download this video. the server's very slow. i spent the time about one hour. ok now i can see. all the things are great. i like ur system. like 20 hz and might be lower. love the great sound from lowest. but i still don't have:headbash: ok i feel happy with u:cheers:

yea,ไม่เป็นไร (read=mai-pen-rai),that's all right[meaning]:)

I'd pick the 3015lf. This horn is low compression, low power, high excursion. The 4015's advantages are a much more stout cone and higher thermal power capacity, neither of which apply to this design. The 3015lf's lighter cone and higher xmax translates to increased sensitivity and higher maximum output in this design.

"The 3015lf's lighter cone and higher xmax translates to increased sensitivity and higher maximum output in this design."

Why doesn't the 3015LF model any higher sensitivity (in a tapped horn) than the 4015LF then?

Higher x-max?

9mm vs 9.6mm?

Really?

CNC cut parts fit neatly. Tomorrow the box will be ready. Hopefully, Monday I will have the hypex amp and by next week the woofer!

Attachments

• IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 429
Why did you choose a $269 175wrms amp from Madisound over a $199 500wrms amp from Part Express?

Well, those prices don't apply if you live in Turkey but even here getting Bash would be cheaper.

Why I chose the Hypex? It is a real class D amp and has a more linear response, lower THD etc. It's build quality is also better. I know Bash is good and used in a lot of commercial products, but I didn't want a class H amp for my tapped horn.

I don't need a lot of watts, but if I did, I think I would go for Hypex D.S4.0 for the same reasons.

Last edited:
A little update and a question.

Will it hum for sure if I install the plate amp over the access door? It doesn't obstruct anything inside size wise. I will close the back of it as well. Any experiences?

an here is the finished eminence horn box. Both out to see how big it is and in its place where it fits and disappears :p I can't wait for the driver to arrive so I can test it. I have been very patient though and worked my way slowly. There is absolutely no leak in the horn, I made the lighting test. It is close to 100kg's! so I believe it is inert as well :)

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 658
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 637
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 633
I don't think it would be an audible effect. 22mm mdf access door, plus another 22mm frame piece for the access door to bolt on creates a 44mm depth there. Hypex is 60mm's deep. Just an extra 1.6cm. Hypex amp is compact. I will seal the back of it as well. This may add another cm. It wont hurt the sound.

If I keep the amp outside, there has to be the speaker connection cables coming out of mouth or I have to make a hole, or put connectors, which are things I don't want to do.

My question is will it hum if it is bolted on the access door?

I've been kicking around the idea of trying out this horn for a while now, the only issue is the 15s I have available to try it with (ultimax 15) have large surrounds that I'm pretty sure won't fit into the narrowed mouth chamber.

I'm going to have a tinker later on today and see if I can hornresp up something that looks respectable and that can be used with drivers other than accordion pleated surrounds only.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.