Volvotreter 20Hz Tapped Horn build (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dry fitting the mouth braces, squaring up the mouth and hatch, pre-drill all the holes, vacuum everything out, side panel glued down.

I had to stand it up to get a feel for it's size. In real-life it plays with your eyes. The long vertical lines make it look imposing, but it only takes up a half meter squared of floor space. I had the ceiling height to make it doable, so why not take advantage of it. :D

The splints with the strings get pulled after the side panel was dropped into place. As that outer panel was heavily warped, they kept it inline those final mm's until I could shoot the screws. After cure, a tug on the string knocked 'em out. Still trucking...

Attachments

• 20HZTH19.jpg
    20HZTH19.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,558
  • 20HZTH20.jpg
    20HZTH20.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,533
  • 20HZTH21.jpg
    20HZTH21.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,503
  • 20HZTH24.jpg
    20HZTH24.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 365
  • 20HZTH23.jpg
    20HZTH23.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,485
  • 20HZTH22.jpg
    20HZTH22.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,491
  • 20HZTH25.jpg
    20HZTH25.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 20HZTH26.jpg
    20HZTH26.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 20HZTH27.jpg
    20HZTH27.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mouth bracing done. Clamping in the access panel flanges. The picture reminded me of myself when I had braces as an adolescent. :D

I used oak strips for the flanges to handle repeated screw removal in the future and also for its stiffness.

Attachments

• 20HZTH30.jpg
    20HZTH30.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 20HZTH29.jpg
    20HZTH29.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 288
  • 20HZTH28.jpg
    20HZTH28.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 298
Hatch ready to go in and fitted up before drilling holes. Driver all broken in and gaps in the gasket sealed up. Modified Spax wood bolts torqued down evenly. Flange gaskets laid down. Ran 25 Hz through it and checked around the driver for leaks. None. So I cinched the hatch down, and let 'er rip while I started cleaning up.
Final pictures to come when the weather warms up, as I have to do flush trimming and round-over outside. It was snowing today. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20HZTH31.jpg
    20HZTH31.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 329
  • 20HZTH32.jpg
    20HZTH32.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 20HZTH33.jpg
    20HZTH33.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 371
  • 20HZTH34.jpg
    20HZTH34.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 20HZTH35.jpg
    20HZTH35.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 20HZTH36.jpg
    20HZTH36.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 413
Thanks for the acclaim folks. Hero shots as promised 3 months in the making...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hooked up and ready for action!

How does it sound?
Like the breath of God. The initial train scene in Polar Express had me laughing uncontrollably while I tried to locate my sanity, which I later found blowing around in the parking lot. :warped: The Prawns living around the corner, stopped in for a bit because they thought their mothership had returned somewhere near our complex. I showed them the Blu-ray player and explained to them over a can of cat food that they still had a couple years to go.

How does it compare?
I don't have a THT to compare to. I know what the Table Tuba sounds like. I know what the Auto Tubas sound like. I know what the TH-50 sounds like. This thing sounds like a $H*%-hot tapped horn....mother's milk. :yummy: I'm a little bit stunned, honestly, that I'd get this kind of performance as I didn't know what to expect. Only one review and practical experience of horns to go on.

Measurements? What would honestly put your curiosities aside? I've got a couple multimeters, an MCM woofer tester, and a Rat Shack 33-2050. I could do some in-room measurements and run an impedance sweep. Someone's gonna have to send some beer and an extra set of hands if you all want outdoor measurements though. It's a pretty easy lift for two people at 43 kg's, but the GF won't have anything to do with hauling it outside. She loves the sound, how little space it takes up, and doesn't want to mess with it. Anyone coming through Milwaukee wanna help me ring it out sometime for S'nG's I'd be game.

Hopefully, I can get a video on YouTube of this and the mains going at it soon.

Thank you Volvotreter for the slick cab design. :cheers: Very cool!

Last edited:
Sounds awesome....

How about an REW sweep and some THD vs output testing at the listening pos? I used 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 27.5 and 30Hz for my THT, and measured output for 5% (or ~10%) THD or until I thought my windows were going to break...

Here's what I got for TT vs THT in the same room, same positioning, from my listening position, using REW's Spectrum Function, and continuous sinewaves (a real torture test):

TT:

12.5Hz-70dB @13% THD
15Hz- 72dB @11% THD
17.5Hz-72dB @11% THD
20Hz- 82.5dB @5% THD
22.5Hz-96dB @5% THD
25Hz- 99dB @5% THD
27.5Hz-105dB @5% THD
30Hz- 106dB @5% THD

THT:

12.5Hz-88dB @5% THD
15Hz- 94dB @ 5% THD
17.5Hz-105dB @5% THD
20Hz- 110dB <2% THD
22.5Hz-110dB <2% THD
25Hz- 110dB <2% THD
27.5Hz-110dB <2% THD
30Hz- 110dB <2% THD

JSS

How does it sound?
The Prawns living around the corner, stopped in for a bit because they thought their mothership had returned somewhere near our complex. I showed them the Blu-ray player and explained to them over a can of cat food that they still had a couple years to go.

Well played RadiantNRG, well played...

I'm on the other side of Madison from you but I might just have to take you up on your offer as I do make it out that way a couple of times a year. Well I think I might take you up on your offer... I can't quite put together what "S'nG's" are... but assuming it involves listening to music and doesn't involve cat food....

Joe

Glad you enjoy BP! Certainly good times.

MaxMercy- testing at those levels would have MNU over here wondering when the heck I'd be moving to District 10. :D How about 1 watt response at the listening position with no EQ until I can get this thing measured outside?:sorry:

Joe- Me casa, Su casa. Just email me anytime a couple of days in advance of when you think you'd be headed this way. I'll PM my email for ya.

I should have an actual impedance plot posted by this weekend. However, what I need is a good predicted impedance plot to compare to from HornResp of this cab with the 3015LF installed. Volvotreter's only got his old Eminence up there, and when I transfer the parameters to my computer, HornResp starts giving me the hairy-eye regarding dimensions.

Radian,

1W response at LP would be good, but I am most interested in THD below horn cutoff, esp. because of the rather small Xmax figure that the 3015LF has.....

You probably will not need much power or get very loud to get 5% THD at 12.5 and 15Hz (but I may be surprised!). 17.5Hz and 20Hz may need higher drive levelsto reach 5% THD, making testing prohibitive MNU-wise.....

JSS

Impedance sweep. I know the image is huge, but when I would go to resize it, it looked like junk. The peak around 34Hz is interesting because HornResp didn't predict anything would be there. The peaks match predicted excursion within reason. That's why I think my parameters are messed up. Anyone else up for giving it it a run?

Last edited:
After some intimate listening sessions with this sub, I can honestly say that, in comparison with a front-loaded folded horn (BFM Table Tuba with the driver covered up for example), if you've already got a front-loaded folded horn and you have the space for it, I'd recommend keeping it. The tapped horn sounds great, but introduces just a touch of something familiar to really good vented enclosures or a large IB. Sounds like harmonics coming off the driver on percussion instruments. The trade-off for having the driver so close to the horn mouth.

I seriously doubt anyone, that hasn't heard a front-loaded folded horn, could even pick it out, and as such only during a critical music listening session. It's not even noticeable when watching movies. That's what I meant before when I said it sounds like a tapped horn. There's no ringing, overhang, boom, or whatever. It's tight and effortless, but just not quite as immaculate as the front-loaded folded horns. And I mean not-by-much. Unless you A/B'd the cabs side by side (EQ'd flat of course), a person most likely wouldn't even be able to tell. Some tastes may even find the timbre more desirable. I listened to a pair of AT's hooked up to my system for three months before building this cab, so I got kinda spoiled on the ultra clean percussion.:bfold: There seems to be a minute difference, but as was mentioned before, I need some measurements to confirm this. Can the THD measurement using REW be performed outside?

The cabinet structure doesn't flinch, except on the crazy-guffaw stuff like the Wuxi finger hold scene from Kung-Fu Panda (when it's cranked). Even then, it's only minor. Had I used BB instead of ACX, there wouldn't be any vibe even then. :up::up::up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.