Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2013, 04:24 AM   #3331
diyAudio Member

Default Hornresp Update 3200-130417

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE 1

The limit for the minimum value of Vas has been lowered from 0.01 to to 0.001 litres. See Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. for background details.

CHANGE 2

The proposed filter wizard tool has been added to Hornresp. It can be accessed from the SPL Response window using the Tools > Filter Wizard menu command.

The following information is taken from the Hornresp Help file, and outlines the available features.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

The initial slider control settings and chart results are saved as reference baselines when the tool is selected. Up to four sets of passive filter values can be stored and recalled by clicking the appropriate memory button or pressing the equivalent function key.

Press the S key to instantly check the schematic diagram.

To change the components in the branch of a passive filter from series to parallel configuration, double-click on the label below the relevant slider group. To change the alignment type of an active filter, double-click on the alignment label. To change the slope units from dB per octave to dB per decade, double-click on the slope label. To change the frequency range, double-click on the chart frequency label. To directly set a slider control to a specified value, key in the value and then press Enter while the control has the focus.

To reset a slider control to its baseline value, press B while the control has the focus. To reset all slider controls for a filter to their baseline values, press Alt+B. To save a new baseline for a filter with the current slider control settings and chart results, press Ctrl+Alt+B.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

The Wizard passive filter results are identical to those produced by AkAbak.

Could you please let me know if you find any bugs, or errors in the active filter results.

Three sample screenprints are attached. For anyone who might be interested, I have also attached a copy of the latest Hornresp version history.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: png Passive.png (50.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: png ActiveSPL.png (60.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: png ActiveDispl.png (61.6 KB, 59 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Versions.txt (10.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 17th April 2013, 04:33 AM   #3332
diyAudio Member

Wow....

THANK YOU!!!
Old 17th April 2013, 04:40 AM   #3333
diyAudio Member

....and, moments later - I may have a bug to report.

It appears that the Filter Wizard baseline is not refreshing when a new record is loaded. I can easily set a new baseline with Ctrl-Alt-B however, so I do not know if this is intentional or not.

Regardless - thank you for the enhanced functionality.
Old 17th April 2013, 05:04 AM   #3334
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemike View Post
It appears that the Filter Wizard baseline is not refreshing when a new record is loaded.
Hi littlemike,

This was done intentionally, to preserve existing slider settings when the record is changed (because the Wizard settings cannot be permanently saved to a record, as mentioned in a previous post). I take your point, though - it is confusing. With hindsight, perhaps I could de-couple the baseline charts and the sliders, and allow for the baseline charts to be updated in accordance with the new record, but leave the slider settings unchanged. I will investigate further.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Kind regards,

David
Old 17th April 2013, 06:44 AM   #3335
Jmmlc is offline Jmmlc  France
R.I.P.

Hello David,

You simply cannot forget the role of the phase whatever active or passive filtering.

That's why in any case the problem has to be solved in the complex domain (imaginary + real parts of the signal).

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h
Old 17th April 2013, 07:05 AM   #3336
diyAudio Member

Hello David.

You are great!!

I took a quick look, this is great. Here are my quick findings and thoughts:

- Would it be possible to have active and passive filtering active at the same time?
- In the filter wizard, it says "series" on both slider tripllets. X-Over design ususllay refers to "serial" and "parallel" elements, the R1,C1,L1 being the one in series to the driver, the R2,C2,L2 in parallel (although the later three are in series to each other, yes..).
- Could the Filter Wizard show the impedance? When doing passive crossovers, its sometimes very important not to get a too low impedance.
- How about a little "reset" and "range" button to set sliders to zero or high values? When doing a highpass C for a Subwoofer (used sometimes in Home Cinema and Hifi Speakers), one needs very high values of up to 2000 yC.
-On active Filtering: Could acoustical Phase be displayable? For setting xovers, it would help.

I really love that filters are stored over several projects, this way we can "take the filters to another box". To store them somehow would be nice in cases of complex passive networks, but this is so nice already

Thank you!!
Old 17th April 2013, 07:43 AM   #3337
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmlc View Post
You simply cannot forget the role of the phase whatever active or passive filtering.
Hi Jean-Michel,

Would it be possible to check in some way, if my method is producing incorrect results?

From comparison tests I have done with AkAbak, the passive filter predictions seem fine.

Kind regards,

David
Old 17th April 2013, 08:14 AM   #3338
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbelbacke View Post
- Would it be possible to have active and passive filtering active at the same time?

- In the filter wizard, it says "series" on both slider tripllets. X-Over design ususllay refers to "serial" and "parallel" elements, the R1,C1,L1 being the one in series to the driver, the R2,C2,L2 in parallel (although the later three are in series to each other, yes..).

- Could the Filter Wizard show the impedance? When doing passive crossovers, its sometimes very important not to get a too low impedance.

- How about a little "reset" and "range" button to set sliders to zero or high values? When doing a highpass C for a Subwoofer (used sometimes in Home Cinema and Hifi Speakers), one needs very high values of up to 2000 yC.

-On active Filtering: Could acoustical Phase be displayable? For setting xovers, it would help.
Hi Sabbelbacke,

Unfortunately, because of the way that the wizard is constructed, most of the features you are requesting cannot be readily implemented. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible - mainly because I don't want to spend too much time working on something that doesn't particularly interest me :-).

To address your specific points:

* Active and passive filtering together would require too much work to implement :-).

* The "series" labels refer to the configuration of the components in each of the four branches. The descriptions do not relate to the positioning of the branches themselves in the overall network. Double-click on the labels to change from series to parallel.

* By impedance, do you mean the magnitude of the total electrical input impedance looking into the passive filter, when it is connected to the speaker?

* To set a slider to zero or to a high value, simply enter the required value directly, as explained in the Help file.

* Displaying acoustical phase would require too much work to implement :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 17th April 2013, 08:20 AM   #3339
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Unfortunately, because of the way that the wizard is constructed, most of the features you are requesting cannot be readily implemented. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible - mainly because I don't want to spend too much time working on something that doesn't particularly interest me :-).
Ok. If it were not too much work, it would have been nice

Quote:
* The "series" labels refer to the configuration of the components in each of the four branches. The descriptions do not relate to the positioning of the branches themselves in the overall network. Double-click on the labels to change from series to parallel.
Should have read the read-me before playing around

Quote:
* By impedance, do you mean the magnitude of the total electrical input impedance looking into the passive filter, when it is connected to the speaker?
The one seen by the amplifier, yes.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:24 AM   #3340
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbelbacke View Post
The one seen by the amplifier, yes.
Hi Sabbelbacke,

Thanks for the clarification. I will see what I can do :-).

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!