Hornresp

Hi David,

Post #6700: "...Would you by any chance still have a copy of your original Hornresp_dat02.old archive file..."

Sorry, I cleaned up, and made a new backup after everything was finally working.

Hi GM,

Post #6686: "I'm curious, what is making the crosshatch pattern..."

I took the photograph w/ a Windowsphone, so there are a bunch of reflections, and a few generations of transferring/copying until it got to Post #6682. The next day the TV died (only nine years old, practically new. :) But it only suffers from an input switching circuit malfunction, so maybe some day I'll find the time to take it apart, for now I got a newer/bigger replacement.

Regards,

Viscothermal Issues ....

The cone is more than rigid enough, it can handle up to about 2.5 psi before rupturing, the issue I'm trying to understand better is the non-linearity of the air and where I should expect this form of power compression to set in terms of air velocity or pressure (if that is even predictable).

... become important only in acoustically small spaces, where boundary layers converge due closely spaced enclosing surfaces. As far as acoustic horn design is concerned, these are typically found only in the front cavity of a compression driver where a phase plug has been deployed to implement high [Sd]:[St] ratios. I have attached two articles that you may find helpful in exploring these and related issues further.

Regards,

WHG

Attachments

• 10.1.1.55.5489.pdf
    102.3 KB · Views: 47
  • christensen_paper.pdf
    148.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi Oliver,

Sorry, I cleaned up, and made a new backup after everything was finally working.

I feared that might be the case - not to worry :).

As indicated in my previous message, as far as I can see the only way that your earlier version of Hornresp could have possibly known that Version 39.80 existed would have been to read the number "39.80" from your Hornresp.dat file, and the only way that the number could have gotten into your Hornresp.dat file would be for the file to have been opened using Version 39.80 of Hornresp.

I have no explanation for what you experienced - it must be magic!

I took the photograph w/ a Windowsphone,

What Is Anti-Aliasing, and How Does It Affect My Photos and Images?

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Update 3980-160928

Hi Everyone,

BUG FIXES

1. The bug identified in Post #6681 has now been fixed.

2. In some cases the passive radiator mass slider was being shown in the Loudspeaker Wizard even though a passive radiator had not been specified - see attached screenprint example. This problem has now been fixed.

3. A number of other minor operating anomalies have also been rectified.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 185
Wow that was a fast update !

I have been trying the added function of the PR in a couple of small boxes.

This week is a flurry of activity before I'm off to China so I have not been able to have real quality time with Hornresp.

That will be when I'm on the plane. 19 hours of fun in the sun.

I might be able to get to know the new features a little bit better!

Bill regarding the papers you posted.

I believe a while ago you posted a few links to musical instrument acoustics that described the area of non-linearity in a different manner.

Brass instruments in particular are able to be over blown and the effects are well studied.

Think about a big fat trombone chord (really loud one) and you have the idea of what can happen when a horn is driven beyond the capability of the air mass within it to transfer the particle velocity generated. It has been referred to as packing up

The concept of of over pressure in a gas mixture such as the air we breathe is incorrect. A gas can successfully be increased in pressure until it liquefies. But the gas's ability to transmit a desired particle velocity within the constraints of a horn path can be complicated when you start to factor in turbulence along the path. And quite dissimilar pressure variations. What happens right off of the cone to the beginning of the throat area in a horn is where the greatest pressure and particle velocity differences are found.

Hi David,

"...it must be magic...", yes, or Windows 10.

Thanks for the interesting article on photography/light, and your continuing efforts. Should I ever get finished w/ remodeling, and building on - I'll try to build a subwoofer w/ DIY passive radiator(s), but don't hold your breath. :)

Regards,

Hornresp Update 3980-160929

Hi Everyone,

BUG FIX

The values of Ap1 and Lp (used to specify either a throat chamber port or a throat adaptor) were not being taken into account in the main calculations - only in the Loudspeaker Wizard.

I am quite surprised that no one noticed that the two sets of results were different, as the bug would have been introduced when Version 20.10 was released :).

The bug has now been fixed.

Kind regards,

David

Hi GM,

Post #6686: "I'm curious, what is making the crosshatch pattern..."

I took the photograph w/ a Windowsphone, so there are a bunch of reflections, and a few generations of transferring/copying until it got to Post #6682. The next day the TV died (only nine years old, practically new. :) [/QUOTE]

Greets!

Thanks! Yeah, relatively speaking we paid a lot more for a lot of things way back when compared to today, but IME the hrs/whatever per $$ cost has been way less, for instance the [4] piece toaster wedding gift from '67 finally burned up recently and have had to replace it twice already with units of about the same price and AFAIK there's no similar quality at any price available nowadays much less at the seemingly totally outrageous ~ $328 inflation adjusted price!
http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Calculators/Cumulative_Inflation_Calculator.aspx

GM

I am quite surprised that no one noticed that the two sets of results were different, as the bug would have been introduced when Version 20.10 was released :).

I did, but with some stuff only displaying in the LW or seeming at different scales, just assumed this was just another 'quirk'/programing limitation due to being basically an outdated program/platform/whatever you call it.

Anyway, thanks for the PRs and all the other enhancements you said would either never or very unlikely be added, so now I can finally 'retire' my ancient LspCad program. :up: :)

GM

In both cases

Bill regarding the papers you posted.

I believe a while ago you posted a few links to musical instrument acoustics that described the area of non-linearity in a different manner.

Brass instruments in particular are able to be over blown and the effects are well studied.

Think about a big fat trombone chord (really loud one) and you have the idea of what can happen when a horn is driven beyond the capability of the air mass within it to transfer the particle velocity generated. It has been referred to as packing up

The concept of of over pressure in a gas mixture such as the air we breathe is incorrect. A gas can successfully be increased in pressure until it liquefies. But the gas's ability to transmit a desired particle velocity within the constraints of a horn path can be complicated when you start to factor in turbulence along the path. And quite dissimilar pressure variations. What happens right off of the cone to the beginning of the throat area in a horn is where the greatest pressure and particle velocity differences are found.

the nonlinearity in the mouth piece (MIH) and front chamber (LCD) will dominate the 'distortion' products coming out of the horn. Off course, MIH non-linearity it is not considered distortion and is addressed by player embouchure (use of facial muscles and the shaping of the lips to the mouthpiece to determine note characteristics). Overblowing typically causes a pitch jump to a higher note in both the woodwind and brass instruments. The player (read driver) is entirely responsible for producing this phenomenon. The only thing that comes close to this in LCDs, are the effects of driver breakup modes on horn output.

Note that the mouth of MIH is designed to encourage reflectance, not mitigate it, so as to produce standing wave modes at frequencies corresponding to notes on a particular musical scale. This fact makes horn loudspeaker design the antithesis of that for MIH and Auto Horns as well.

The issues you raise are most important in compression driver design.
Here surface finish and geometry as well as material stiffness all play an important role in determining how successful the implementation of a particular design is. Once acoustic energy gets out of these confined (read acoustically small) spaces (horn throat/neck included), how big the horn is in relation the largest wavelength to be passed dominates all other design considerations.

Regards,

WHG

Hi GM,

I did, but with some stuff only displaying in the LW or seeming at different scales, just assumed this was just another 'quirk'/programing limitation due to being basically an outdated program/platform/whatever you call it.

While it is indeed true that Visual Basic 6 is no longer supported by Microsoft, it is a very mature, robust and reliable product. Any 'quirks' that you notice are bound to be due to programming issues on my part. Please don't hesitate to report anything at all that doesn't seem quite right. As I understand it, Microsoft has indicated that it will be possible to continue running VB6 legacy programs until at least the year 2024.

Anyway, thanks for the PRs and all the other enhancements you said would either never or very unlikely be added,

You're most welcome. I do change my mind quite often, it seems :).

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

I noticed a few times, that I could not make the Wizard SPL match the Calculate SPL, but I've been in too much of a hurry, and just wrote it off as something I did wrong (which-more often than not-actually was the case, e.g.: one I remember is leaving filling set in the Wizard). :)

I hope there will be private support for VB6 programs well beyond MS's abandonment.

Regards,

I hope there will be private support for VB6 programs well beyond MS's abandonment.

FWIW, there is a free of charge upgrade path available for VB6 to Visual Studio 2012 Express, which is the free version of Visual Studio 2012. Basically you upgrade the project to a Visual Basic 2008 Express version (also free) first, and then you upgrade the project from there to Visual Studio 2012 Express. it's not all that difficult, if you've stuck to good programming practice, like defining variables before using them. I was a pretty horrible programmer back when I was using VB6, and my code made lots of use of calls that were no longer supported, but I was able to do the up-conversion within a day or two, and it basically involved for the most part addressing the variable declaration errors caused by my sloppy code.

FWIW, there is a free of charge upgrade path available for VB6 to Visual Studio 2012 Express, which is the free version of Visual Studio 2012. Basically you upgrade the project to a Visual Basic 2008 Express version (also free) first, and then you upgrade the project from there to Visual Studio 2012 Express.

Hi Brian,

After reading your post, out of interest I downloaded and installed a copy of Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition. Subsequent conversion of the existing Hornresp VB6 code took more than an hour. Unfortunately the number of changes that would be required to get the converted code to run are huge. It seems that many of the things that can be done in VB6 are simply not possible in VB2008. I am too old to start learning what is in effect a new computer language, so will just have to keep using VB6 until it no longer works :).

Kind regards,

David

It seems that many of the things that can be done in VB6 are simply not possible in VB2008.

Now I know why :).

From Microsoft:

"Visual Basic 2008 represents a major shift from previous versions of Visual Basic. Because it was designed from the ground up to take advantage of the .NET Framework, there are many areas where compatibility with previous versions is broken."

The following is also very relevant in the case of Hornresp:

"There are, however, situations where you may wish to continue development in Visual Basic 6.0 rather than upgrading. Some of the factors in deciding to upgrade an application include features that aren't supported in Visual Basic 2008, and the amount of rework needed due to incompatibility and architectural considerations."

Beware of Geeks bearing Gifts.

Now I know why :).

From Microsoft:

"Visual Basic 2008 represents a major shift from previous versions of Visual Basic. Because it was designed from the ground up to take advantage of the .NET Framework, there are many areas where compatibility with previous versions is broken."

The following is also very relevant in the case of Hornresp:

"There are, however, situations where you may wish to continue development in Visual Basic 6.0 rather than upgrading. Some of the factors in deciding to upgrade an application include features that aren't supported in Visual Basic 2008, and the amount of rework needed due to incompatibility and architectural considerations."

MS does it again ...
... create and offer yet another software migration path that is not backward compatible, and then have the unmitigated gall to characterize it as an upgrade.

MS does not deliver experienced, bug-free development platforms anymore, just bug-laden nightmares of unbounded and undocumented complexity.

They just don't get it! Such platforms should be tools, easy to use by the many, not masters to be served by the very elite few. WHG

Last edited:
MS does it again ...

They just don't get it!

WHG

Engineering: "Legacy compatibility, can't live with it!"
Marketing: "Legacy compatibility, can't live without it!"
Customers: "Give me both legacy compatibility and new features and performance, yesterday, not next year, and for lower cost!"

The problem is that MS is so big they think they can tell customers what they want/need and for the most part, they get away with it.

Hornresp Update 3980-161007

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

For BP6, BP8 and ABC loudspeakers the green-coloured principal resonance frequency marker line was only shown on the Power chart, and the actual frequency value was not given. Both the marker line and the frequency value are now shown on the Power, Impedance and Displacement charts.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 154