Hornresp

Hi guys,

Please, don't keep your opinions, data, knowledge to yourselves - what would a fool like myself do without it?

I'm sorry I started such an upheaval, I just wanted some confirmation as to how to simulate this curled wonder in Hornresp. I'm sure this is a fine loudspeaker, and I'm also certain that a lot of time and research went into it. For what it is worth, I got something out of this discussion. Thanks.

Regards,

And I should probably keep my explanations and data to myself as well :)

For those that may not be aware of it, Bjørn has recently completed his Master of Science in Electronics and is now working full time on his PhD. The focus of his research is horn loudspeakers.

Horn Research Update (fall 2013)

Believe me when I say that when it comes to horn loudspeakers, he knows what he is talking about...

Kind regards,

David

Hi Oliver,

what would a fool like myself do without it?

You might be a lot of things, but it is quite clear to me that being a fool is not one of them...

I'm sorry I started such an upheaval,

Please don't be - there is nothing like a stimulating discussion to get the juices flowing :).

Incidentally, after a couple of marathon coding sessions I am now confident that the functionality to assign different airflow resistivities to different horn segments will be ready in time for the next planned release of Hornresp on 1 January 2014.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

Post #3987: "...the functionality to assign different airflow resistivities to different horn segments will be ready in time for the next planned release..."

Looking forward to that one very much, I realized a while back, that some of the tapped horn simulations (and a few of the resulting builds) could be improved through a better understanding of the placement of damping material. What got me started was geitmans' experience w/ lining his dual 8" TH:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/134369-dual-8-tapped-horn-th-spud-3.html
I got a little confused, as Danley's DTS-20 showed acoustic lining in some photographs, so I thought geitmans' attempt would have worked, but, as so often, similar is not good enough.

Regards,

Potential bug?

On another note, it seems that I may have found a minor bug in Hornresp.

To reproduce it, open any simulation that has a rear chamber (such as the default one).

Press "calculate", then select "cancel" in the dialog about masking the rear chamber resonances.

Afterwards, the "calculate" button no longer responds.

I can add or change records, the calculate button still doesn't respond.

In order to get the program responding normally, I have to exit and restart.

For what it is worth, I'm running the latest version of Hornresp on Windows 7 Professional, X64.

On another note, it seems that I may have found a minor bug in Hornresp.

To reproduce it, open any simulation that has a rear chamber (such as the default one).

Press "calculate", then select "cancel" in the dialog about masking the rear chamber resonances.

Afterwards, the "calculate" button no longer responds.

I can add or change records, the calculate button still doesn't respond.

In order to get the program responding normally, I have to exit and restart.

For what it is worth, I'm running the latest version of Hornresp on Windows 7 Professional, X64.

I just got this too. I wasn't smart enough to correlate it to the "cancel" button, but IIRC I probably did cancel something. After that the "calculate" button wouldn't work for any sim in the database. I had to exit and restart Hornresp to get it working again.

I wasn't going to post about it unless it happened again but since it's already been done add my +1. Win7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit.

Sad News...

I was deeply saddened to learn today of the recent passing of Jean-Michel Le Cléac’h.

I admired Jean-Michel greatly. His beautiful horn flare profile will be one of his lasting legacies. His mathematical skills were astonishing, and from my dealings with him, he seemed to be one of Nature’s true gentlemen.

The corrected phase response and impulse response and spectrogram tools in Hornresp are based on algorithms he developed and was kind enough to share with me.

RIP Jean-Michel.

David McBean

I was deeply saddened to learn today of the recent passing of Jean-Michel Le Cléac’h.

I admired Jean-Michel greatly. His beautiful horn flare profile will be one of his lasting legacies. His mathematical skills were astonishing, and from my dealings with him, he seemed to be one of Nature’s true gentlemen.

The corrected phase response and impulse response and spectrogram tools in Hornresp are based on algorithms he developed and was kind enough to share with me.

RIP Jean-Michel.

David McBean

Didn't we all who knew him. Never rude and always helpful IME, even when his job left him little quality time. Some reward he got, dying young.......... :(

GM