Hornresp

Hi David,

You may already have caught this: in DHAA's thread, Post #127 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/248026-hornresp-brainiacs-help-old-man-13.html I tried to explain to DHAA how to export the horn data for his design from Post #47.

The export seems correct when using the Height column for the parallel side dimension (in this case 39.53cm). The Height/2 (cm) column shows the same value 19.762846 in all entries.
(see: gbs_w_47_original.txt)

When using the Width column for the parallel side dimensions the Width/2 (cm) column does not show the same value in all entries.
(see: gbs_H_47_original.txt)

In both cases Increments were set to 1, and Width Flare(s) were set to Uni.

I'll attach the Hornresp Record export file, and the two horn data export files.

Regards,

Attachments

• gbs_47_original.txt
    461 bytes · Views: 34
  • gbs_h_47_original.txt
    20.6 KB · Views: 35
  • gbs_w_47_original.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 38
Hi Everyone,

Two more bugs have been fixed. One was reported via email, and the other was found by me during routine testing.

Kind regards,

David

Here's one possible bug:

HornResp data:

ID=33.00
Ang=2.0 x Pi
Eg=2.83
Rg=0.00
Fta=2.16
S1=200.00
S2=300.00
Con=20.00
F12=0.00
S2=300.00
S3=1300.00
Exp=200.00
F23=20.07
S3=1300.00
S4=1400.00
Par=20.00
F34=0.00
S4=0.00
S5=0.00
L45=0.00
F45=0.00
Sd=860.50
Bl=31.23
Cms=7.91E-05
Rms=8.53
Mmd=207.25
Le=4.30
Re=5.60
TH=1
Vrc=0.00
Lrc=0.00
Ap1=0.00
Lpt=0.00
Vtc=0.00
Atc=0.00
Pmax=100
Xmax=5.0
Comment=Dayton PA385-8 15" TH

The bug? Any attempt to add an additional segment to this TH seems to generate a "Runtime Error '13': Type mismatch" error and HornResp abruptly closes on closing the dialog box.

e.g.
1. Enter 1600 into S5 field
2. Double-click on L45, and in the "Horn Flare" dialog box, select "Parabolic"
3. In the "Parabolic Flare" dialog box, change L45 to 10.00
4. Click on "Calculate"

When using the Width column for the parallel side dimensions the Width/2 (cm) column does not show the same value in all entries.

Hi Oliver,

Even though the heights or widths at the horn throat and mouth may be the same, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the dimensions will remain constant along the length of the horn. The cross-section dimensions at any point are determined by the choice of Width Flare. When the Uni option is selected, the horn cross-section aspect ratio is uniformly transformed along the length of the horn from throat to mouth. This is the case for the two examples you have given.

Assuming we are using a parabolic horn, there are two ways of specifying parallel sides:

1. Set the heights the same and use the 'Con' Width Flare option.
2. Set the widths the same and use either the 'Con' or 'Exp' Width Flare option.

The important thing to remember is that the Width Flare determines the outcome in all cases.

Post # 3553 also applies:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-356.html#post3535881

If you think about it for a while, hopefully it will start to make sense. As far as I am concerned, the logic is impeccable :)

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Post #4024/4028

Hi David,

It just was my expectation, that when I set all entry fields in the Width column to the same value, that then all entries of the widths in the horn data export file (column Width/2 (cm)) would be the same too. Obviously, that reasoning was impeccably wrong. :)

It's getting late, and I better get some rest. Thanks for looking at this.

Regards,

Hi David,

The newest version downloaded fine, and seems to be working well. I cannot make the segment calculator crash anymore.

How hard would it be to enter a Transfer button to the Loudspeaker Wizard that transfers the data over directly to the Filter Wizard? That way a design could be looked at in the Filter Wizard, after the Loudspeaker Wizard has been used to optimize the e.g.: the stuffing. As it is, we cannot get a look at the combined effect of stuffing and filtering.

Thanks for your continuous effort.

Regards,

Hello David,

I just opened some older datafiles with ported enclosures and can´t find the "ported" entry in the chamber section. It sims alright, as long as I don´t change anything, but when I try to do a new design from scratch, I can´t do ported anymore. Only lined or throat adaptor pops up. Did I miss a change in hornresp concerning ported enclosures?

Regards,
Sabbelbacke

PS: Switching back to 33.10 brings back up the ported entry

Last edited:
I just opened some older datafiles with ported enclosures and can´t find the "ported" entry in the chamber section. It sims alright, as long as I don´t change anything, but when I try to do a new design from scratch, I can´t do ported anymore. Only lined or throat adaptor pops up.

Hi Sabbelbacke,

I added a new record copied from the default record and then opened the Tools > Chamber menu. Everything seemed to be in order with the following three options being listed:

* Rear Lined
* Rear Vented
* Throat Adaptor

For offset driver and tapped horns, the Throat Adaptor option is replaced by the Throat Ported option.

1. Do you see something different when using a copy of the default record?
2. Would it be possible for you to post details of a record that does not work?

You may already be aware of this, but it is not necessary to use the Tools > Chamber menu if you don't want to. Double-clicking on the Fr, Ap or Ap1 label achieves the same result.

Is anyone else having problems similar to those currently being experienced by Sabbelbacke?

Kind regards,

David

To me that would be the icing on the cake. :)

Hi Oliver,

You might end up wanting to add a candle or two :).

I am now hopeful of being able to generate all standard Active filter results apart from group delay and impulse response - which are not calculated by the Loudspeaker Wizard. The Active filter will be capable of accepting either lossy or non-lossy Loudspeaker Wizard outputs.

Kind regards,

David