Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehehe Carlos, sometimes we use sarcasm in english as a form of humor... I did not mean you must send me transformers... 4 would be hard to fit in a case.... No, the people must send me what I ordered...
Waited so long a day or 3 more is not going to make a diffirence...

I spend the time helping a single mom down the street fix up her house a bit, so I'm so sore from working. I don't realy have energy today to complete something, carefully.

I just practised tapping a 7mm hole and it came out OK.... The nuts I bought for my case are 7mm...

I still need to go look for wood for outer panels too... so no hurry, or I'll just get sad and frustrated.... Its called african time.

I would sent them...transformers...air mail....trowing into Africa direction

It will need just to cross the Atlantic...have you a helmet?

I am kidding too...i like you...you have feelings and you express them clearly...you are not a living and mobile computer..you are a man!...and i apreciate those folks in special.

It is normal to be angry, hungry, sad, happy, frustrate, anxious and all those things...computers are diferent...running and not running.

I am still thinking to make some Afro magic to you..some chickens...cigars... some alcoholic beverage..some beans and strong pray...what a hell bad luck..carefull..some satelite can fall into your ceiling!...ahahahah!

ahahahah!

regards,

Carlos

I was testimony, a good number of times, of problems caused by amplifiers that were

modified.

People that design amplifiers normally fix resistances and parts thinking about voltages and currents present in the circuit.

When you increase your voltage, you will need to check if your transistors will hold that voltage...and to the Voltage amplifier transistor, the one will produce all the output voltage, if this one can hold the peak to peak voltage of the "new rail voltage" without burn.

That voltage is less than rail positive plus rail negative voltages...but the better, to be fast and practical is to understand that the voltage transistor will need to hold that rail to rail voltage.

Also differential must be observed related the voltage, also drivers and output will hold enormous current.

When you increase rail voltage..for sure the output will have problems to hold 4 ohms loads..... as they are not entirelly resistive, big problems can be created there...and those problems will result in "plaft"..."pooofh", and other annoying noises that means you had burned parts.

Increasing rail voltage....you will increase audio swing voltage....also current as that voltage beeing developed over a resistance will produce current as a result...and this will need calculations....practical calculations is to give room to much more current than you will really have in your output.

The Dx amplifier is already in the limits to 4 ohms loads....operating it using maximum possible distorted power, over crazy reactive speakers...for too long time...may result in failure...this way..if you intend to produce distorted music...as distorted guitar music...better to increase your output transistors...installing 0.22 ohms or 0.33 ohms in series with their emitters (equalizing power purposes)

When you change rail voltage...depending how big may be that change, your off set trimpot may not be enougth to adjust your off set voltage...maybe you will have to increase it.

Also, bias adjustment will turn more and more dangerous...needing care and protective rail resistances when doing it...as some small turn in the trimpot, some 10 degrees, may represent enormous increase in current when using other voltages....that will represent also more current to the VAS, and bias current control is installed in series with the VAS colector to emitter.

Enormous differences of rail voltages compared to 35 volts ...lets say 65 volts!...will need to think about some resistances dissipation...transistors will need replacement and more output pairs will be needed...also capacitors will need replacement to higher voltage units... also the Zener limiting resistance will need to be increased, or the zener power will need to be changed with the consequent replacement of the unit.

If you reduce voltage.... the limit will be the zener voltage you have in the positive rail.....but parts will work fine.... reducing voltage will reduce power, and this will make the amplifier run happy,.....but even this modification will ask some modifications....maybe your output VBE will be not the one you have dreamed...so...the 120 ohms resistance may need some tweak.

Well...i could see that designers thinks that those things are obvious and they do not worry too much about those things..they think, in advance, that the constructor will follow the schematic in an obsessive way...this is not the true....each one of us decide for the transistors we have.... an exclusive touch is always present... this may produce burns, "pops"..."plafts" and misunderstandings.

No Certificate of Constructional Competence is asked for constructors.... and designers thinks that the decided guy that started some construction will now all the "tips and tricks"...that changing here will disturb there and everywere.

Because of that, it is hard to guarantee that an amplifier is really "plug and play"...as the guy will need to follow the schematic, adjustments and voltage in an obsessive way...if not..the plug and play feature goes to hell without return.

Dx amplifier is a hell simple... sounds nice...it has that natural sound most of us apreciate...but it is not guaranteed against constructional failures, alike supression of Miller capacitor, alike the use of extremelly high speed devices (oscilations) also not guaranteed if the guy decide to feed rails with 80 volts plus and minus.... not guaranteed if the guy inject 5 Volts of square waves, high frequency enormous signal into the output...not protected against long time short circuit in the output and foolishes some constructors make and goes blaming the designer.

So...needing to make modifications, even beeing a Doctored Certificated PHD scientist.... tell the designer or the amplfiier responsable the modifications done, as he may find fast if something will be problem or not.

In others words, not beeing rude, just talking frankly...you may be the King of Frite Potatoes, may be the General Manager of an enormous Multi National coorporation, having 32 Universitary degrees and 60 years of electronics construction experience....but you will be great to your employees...here...related that small amplifier..i have already explored all tips and tricks..and i will be the one to "sniff" problems....and if CCS is absent is because did not sounded fine to my ears, and in this circuit...may be nice to other guys and to other circuits...of course you can install it if you want...but give you the chance to listen the amplifier the way it was made, to really know how it sounds.

If you decide to make it different...to "correct" things...do it under your own risk and responsability...and if resulted not so good compared your dreams...do not blame me as i could see people doing...blame yourself and check the circuit the way it was published.

Well...if those informs are too much obvious....at least they were usefull to keep thread dinamic.

regards,

Carlos

Greg's pcb is already cooking here, here are some images:

Top (who needs a silkscreen):

Close-up of the personal touch on the bottom of the pcb :)
It's a bit unclear in the picture, it says 'thank you Carlos, Larissa & Greg'

Partly stuffed:

The pcb is very compact, my stereo-version only measures 74 x 143 mm.
Hopefully i can start testing the board in the next days, haha soon i'll have 2 destroyerX-amps !

Best regards,

Klaas

Thank you...very nice construction...twin boards producing an stereo

Very nice Klaas...and you will be the Pioneer once more...as you will listen Dx amplifier using those new boards.

I cannot way to know your thougths.

I will be, all day long, near the computer.

Only two hours will be out to check a turbo into my engine.

hehe...no intercooler...that damn thing may melt.

regards,

Carlos

Boards By Klaas

Very good ones Klaas.... you really know how to make them

" Dx amplifier has Class and Klaas "

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• by klaas.jpg
    by klaas.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 782
Well Hugh..you know that i have enormous friendly feelings and respect to you

Also, you are the one that always told me to design some.

And i made it...and i have use your old Aksa 55 topologie too.

Your special circuits and theories were avoided here, as a form of respect and obbeying also to International Copyrigth laws.

Also, during the design, during construction and also boards design, we feel deeply how hard was your work, how perfect are our boards, how many hours you have spent to do those boards you have and the perfection about the decisions you took to produce them.....always....when we face someway to make board excelent..we face the reality, that the solution was the same you have already found...this proves to us your competence my dear friend.

In my point of view, as i have told many times, you are the king of the amplifiers.

This amplifier cannot sound so wonderfull as your Aksa 55 Nirvana...as i have them here and compared, my amplifier did not matched the sound stage, nor the treble.

Maybe i could face your amplifier in the deep bass frequencies only....also your distortion is more nice...your unit sounds alike tube amplifiers.

"To Ceasar we must give everything that belongs to Ceasar".

You have honored me, deeply, with your presence here.

"Dx amplifiers quality is to be simple, is to be cheap and to sound very nice..beeing able to be compared with modern and well known amplifiers without be too much ashamed....not expending too much money and time, you may have nice tiny boards that will be guaranteed pleasant to you."

Now, has the support of Mr. Hugh Dean, Chairman, President and Chief Designer of Aspen Amplifiers, were wonderfull amplifiers use to born.

Thank you Hugh.

regards,

Carlos

It is interesting Kanwar..i have this same suit...and when returning form the beach

My colour of skin and my hairs turn exactly the same.

Also we have an airplane factory that produces that kind of airplanes, Embraer is the name and winned Bombardier in an International competition...folks will fly brasilian jets..guaranteed...but cannot avoid drunk pilots.

Very interesting those things...this guy could be my brother.

I could not ask mom or daddy about him...as they already gone.

But i will know in the future when i join my parents once more.

Many Brasilians (use the S), even beeing Catholic Roman by baptims, believe in Spirtualism from Alain Kardec.

But religion is something forbiden here..better to silence, as those things produces discussions and many other troubles.

Good to have your visit Kanwar...i will have a Mango now thinking on you..as you love fruits.

regards,

Carlos

Dx amplifier has the support of Workhorse Technologies from India.

As the Company President, Mr. Kanwar, use to follow this thread...if he manage to support to watch that simple amplfiier, compared with high tech he uses in his product, is because he can see some value on it.

"Dx amplifier is beeing blessed by very important forum folks"

It may be interesting folks!

regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Brasilian passenger jets are often seen on Australian air routes; they are cheaper, very economical on fuel and maintenance, and do the job reliably. You can be proud of your aviation industry, but yes, they can still be flown by drunk pilots....

I'm flattered you've used the AKSA topology. I am sure there are better topologies, but I haven't found them yet, so if anyone here knows, please tell me!!

The pcb takes a LONG time to get right. I've just converted my Lifeforce 55 to double sided, it's nice to look at and the components mount much more robustly, which should be good for reliability. Your board is lovely. It is very difficult to get everything exactly where you want it - in life as in pcb design!!

Kanwar, I do like your sense of humour - go straight to the top of the class!

Now, Carlos, you can bring some further improvements to the sound with the power supply. Have you looked at its topology?

Cheers,

Hugh

Good to see you back once more Nordic....

Hugh... i am thinking to use your power supply design...that one Daniel have...but i will make some sligth modifications.

Will not use your high quality condensers..you know...Dx amplifier is sacrificing the high end quality of reproduction to result very simple and cheap...your expensive units are out of question....even beeing sonically better.

regards,

Carlos.

.....................................................................................................

Dear Nordic

Artritis in your age?....hehe...in direct mail i will explain you the thing you cannot do with that arm while watching girls passing nearby your front window....better to use the other arm...ahahahah....to shake hands for instance... or maybe to say good bye with your hands.....ahahahhaha!

Could you captured that...got it?

Have to think about all repetition alternative arm motion..hehe.

regards,

Carlos

Hummmm...not good enougth.... it is not in correct position.

Do not say bad words!...NO...NO...NO!... forum rules say cannot use those words.

I will not go to that place you want to send me..also i will not do that with myself too.

I will be here working seriously, being friendly, cooperating and kidding as usual

Ahhahahhahaha!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• not good!..eheehe.jpg
    not good!..eheehe.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 638
Re: Dx amplifier has the support of Workhorse Technologies from India.

destroyer X said:

As the Company President, Mr. Kanwar, use to follow this thread...if he manage to support to watch that simple amplfiier, compared with high tech he uses in his product, is because he can see some value on it.

"Dx amplifier is beeing blessed by very important forum folks"

It may be interesting folks!

regards,

Carlos

We all love your creations ...Your sense of humour is great...you always help others, So GOD is with you...

AKSA said:
Hi Carlos,

Kanwar, I do like your sense of humour - go straight to the top of the class!

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, Its great that you like it!

Enjoy,
Kanwar

Sadly it is wrong, the way it is now, each the transistors share the middle fins with most of the heat.... if I turn it, each will have its own fins... and run cooler...

Just thought of that while I raced a few laps of trackmania...

The arthritis is part 'n parcel of me now allready... woke up one morning at 23 with A.S. ( http://www.kickas.org ) spend most of the next year in bed... and am medicaly boarded due to it.

We have a saying in my language that translates to "weeds do not die" or more casualy, to its hard to kill rubbish... So I refuse to give in, and try to find something physical to do whenever I can. And work my mind on the theory when I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.