Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ostry said:
please, try my method with PDFCreator, check the quality of these vector graphics, I'm almost sure that you won't regret it :)/B]

Hi ostry,

I all ready have. I was downloading as I wrote my last post. It certainly produces very good results. :D Good recommendation.

Now, if only I could control GC Prevue properly, PDFCreator would create even nicer looking traces than from Eagle direct.

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nordic said:
Even the normal print function in eagle works very well....

Hi Nordic,

You are right. The print from Eagle and the pdf image are identical in quality. ;)

This issue is producing a high quality image that can be distributed easily. All reasonable sized graphic files seem to be of poorer quality. A vector / raster issue I'm sure. PDF seems to be the way to go.

regards

Greg Erskine said:

This issue is producing a high quality image that can be distributed easily. All reasonable sized graphic files seem to be of poorer quality. A vector / raster issue I'm sure. PDF seems to be the way to go.

regards

Greg, you could export a 600dpi monochrome bitmap from Eagle and zip it. This gave a 45k file for the symasym. Small enough... :clown:

Mike

Joined 2002
Paid Member
MikeB said:
Greg, you could export a 600dpi monochrome bitmap from Eagle and zip it. This gave a 45k file for the symasym. Small enough... :clown:

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot. That worked very well, a 50k ZIP file including dimensions. Print quality was hard to pick from the PDF versions. I did find the PDF version slightly easier to print the right size, but that would depend on the tool you use to print scaled BMP files.

I'm still keen to getting a result through the gerber files. Can anyone recommend a good gerber viewer? I have tried GC Prevue but can't quite master mirroring one layer and having it line up with another.

I have attached an image comparing a gerber produced image versus a graphic output from Eagle.

regards

Attachments

• gerber vs image.png
    gerber vs image.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 569
Greg I'm being stupid, probably due to a slightly crushed family jewel from hanging a door....

Google fineprint... install it (it is a printer driver).

Now I'm sure you can figure this part out... it has internal settings to print to file, and I think i t can print to pdf... can also use it to save paper, it can fit up to 8 pages on an A4....gives very fine quality printing...

With it installed and set as printer to be used, do normal printing from eagle... which would then go to the file in high quality, instead of the printer....

I was at the Dentist once more folks....about you Greg, i have learn to

respect the way you do things.

You just do them to last for ever, to be perfect not needing retouches or fixing movements.

I can do things 2 times faster and with 5 times more errors.

I am unable to match your work quality, as i have not the will to do this way, i have not the competence and i have not the patience needed.

Also you was invited because of your qualities...and the main one is that search for perfection and the attention to small details.

It is good to have you dear Greg...as a cooperator, as a partner in this enterprise in our forum and as a personal friend.

Go running in your own speed...we gonna wait for you, the time needed.

Well...the one can wait Nordic to power that amplifier...ahahaha..can wait some for you too...ahahahha...revenge!

...................................................................................................

But i am afraid that my other kind cooperator...Mr. Thomas J.... the General Manager, head office off Nashville Division of Dx Corporation.... my dear Sea to Sea Marine expert in Trans Continental Missiles.

Mr. Thomas is working and soon he will provide us the needed PDF.

Thomas is c2c in our forum..... sea to sea is the meaning.

regards,

Carlos

Dammit, I can never win!!!!!!!!! I phoned to see if my transformers were there, only to be told, no, it is a special order, and had to be custom wound, takeing up to 7 days....

Oh well, its from the same place that wound my gainclone transformer. Fantastic quality strong construction, with strong rustfree plastic feet, ground tab, etc....held together with 4 normal nuts and bolts. So you can remove the feet and mount them through the case with half of transformer exposed and the connectors side inside the case.... I think the guys are called Plitron and operate internationaly.

Maybe its the curse of Darth Carlos

Attachments

• darth-carlos.jpg
    darth-carlos.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 586
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hey Carlos,

I have all ready made lots of PDFs, but this is still the prototype PCB....builder beware. :hot:

To save others wasting their time....

BTW: The dimensions are the same 79mm x 98mm. To keep track of versions you will always find a datestamp, like GE20070416, on all my schematics, PCBs and 3D models.

regards

Attachments

• dx amplifier pcb rev1.pdf
    68.3 KB · Views: 339
Thanks c2cthomas that sent pdf files from Nashville Division of Dx Corporation

Thank you Mr. Thomas.... but.... Aussie Head Office was faster and already published.

Come to the ligth side Nordic....have you protection against satelites that can fell down over your roof?

My God man!.....you are needing some "strong magic".

I hope this time, in a matter of 604800000 miliseconds, the transformer arrive your place.

hehe

Carlos

hehe...very good mood Thomas.

Nordic...my dear.. i have sent an anjo to help you because of your bad luck... and also i would be happy to know if your family name is "Murphy"

The Anjo i have sent you have some fligth problems...sorry...your bad luck is bigger than heaven can hold.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• bad luck.jpg
    bad luck.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 581
Thomasc2c, our former Marine that had expertise in Missiles

was one more "captured" by my spies.

The shield in his head is to avoid me to capture his thougths, as i discovered he was a missile expert when he never told me nothing about.

He is the responsable of Dx Corporation, Division Nashville...ahahhaa.

Do you remember the cold war.... ships around the world, Sea to Sea (c2c)...the ones took care of USA....thanks Thomas...he was in front of Radar taking care of your homes in USA...controling Missile launching panels.

He seems to be a lovely nuts..but he is only lovely...the hat is a shield, as i have discovered his plans about Dx amplifier too.

Don't even think he is nuts...he is just a good mood man, my dear nephew Thomasc2c....he took care of you that was living in the USA.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• thomas with brain shield.jpg
    thomas with brain shield.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 541
Klaas informed me that his amplifier (DX amp) had temperature drift even with diodes.

He told that diodes could not control, and that he had continuous increase the temperature till the fuse blows.

Well folks, i have made 6 amplifiers, and no one behave this way..but as Klaas is competent i runned to test the amplifier once more, and this time i have used the VBE multiplier... as i had the need to test it...was not tested...only tested with diodes in my home.

The amplifier was submited to hard testings, worked high power during all day in the past..using diodes...load was lower than 4 ohms and playing in the threshold of distortion without temperature increasings or anything strange to safe operation.

Those days, VBE multiplier was not tested.... resistance were tested to produce the bias voltage and also diodes touching the heatsinks... no problems during first testings...passed!

This amplifier is Class AB, as you know, the bias is small..only the small quantity needed to force driver and output transistor to conduct... voltages were measured during adjustments and testing in the past and normal ones were obtained...from 500 to 590 milivolts of VBE voltage..

This amplifier can be biased from 30 miliamps to 100 miliamps in the stand by mode with the input shorted and 37 plus 37 volts of DC supply.

That standard bias of 100 miliamps..used by many designers and many amplifiers produce 7 watts of heat during the stand period.

Heatsinks must be big enougth when you decide to use the resistor option to produce the needed bias.... beeing diodes and VBE controling the temperature drift you will not need anything but the standard size of heatsinks..each one able to hold 160 watts of heat.

The heatsinks dimensions are 20 by 15 centimeters... 10 fins, and each one measuring 6 to 15 centimeters....you will need one of those to each channel...and to hard work, you will need a helping fan blower...as continuous power is terrible...distorting signals...or continuous square waves or guitar distorting ...full volume...well...this is normally hard to every amplifier and heatsinks are not dimensioned to that kind of work....if the work is abusive, or if you speaker has peaks and valleys of impedance..better to increase your heatsink dimensions and take care to put in the in correct position to maximum convection cooling.

I have made new testing.... the amplifier received the VBE multiplier... a single BD139, with a resistance connected from colector to base (18K) and a 1K trimpot connected from base to emitter....nothing more than that...colector goes to positive rails point A.... and emitter goes to negative rail point B....bias was adjusted to 70 miliamps when the amplifier was cold.

The amplifier had 2 milivolts of off set, and driver heatsinks were installed...the VBE multiplier...the A wire and B wire were twisted together to produce capacitance...as some capacitance there is interesting and you will avoid to install a capacitor from colector to emitter (into the VBE multiplier transistor the BD130C)

Dx amplifier was connected to a wire resistance....measured 4 ohms when hot...and a series resistance sent audio to a monitor speaker.... a 33 ohms resistance...just to send small power audio to the monitoring speaker.....made this way to listen the clipping audio...it is very clear and everyone can perceive, as square waves sounds very bad.... you will notice the threshold, as sound changes enormously.

From my signal source, a recorded digital 47 hertz, clean sinusoidal and constant signal was send to the DX amplifier...more than 108 watts could be produced...but adjustments of levels were made to continuous 75 watts of power...and the temperature was monitored..not only by meters but also by my skin that was burned by the redish wire resistance.....i have touched it.

The amplifier runned for 60 minutes..observe that continuous signal is many times worst than normal music..also the testing was repeated with speakers..because the impedance error caused by them..or created by them...or characteristic that belongs them...the heatsink was not in the perfect cooling position..but as it is a little bit bigger than the needed one...no problem to be that bad position... heat was increasing above the environment temperature of 30 degrees and reached 47 degrees celsius...the meter is not too much precise...but the error is not bigger than 0.9 degree centigrade.... and i have tested it using my body temperature and environment air temperature and also checked air in motion temperature..... temperature stabilized at 47 degrees.... and under this temperature the bias was checked once again and measured 94 miliamps (the maximum i had).

I do think it is stable...i really do not know what happened at Klaas home...maybe some residual signal from his CD player Clock frequency....maybe oscilations driven by signal...maybe peaks and valleys in his speaker impedance...i do not know..but for sure Dx amplifier is stable..you will see..that soon Klaas will discover something strange in his home.

Images will document the testings made this morning.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• vbe multiplier tested.gif
    vbe multiplier tested.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 508
Status
Not open for further replies.