Hiraga "Le Monstre"

the switching off to charge idea even better !

another thing i did some rough calculations...

say the battery is 80Ah@12V that is 960Wh per battery total 1920Wh
the amp draws a continous (maximum) 12 watts or so for a stereo pair 24W

the run time is more than i expected originally..
maybe more like 40h ?!??!??!?!?!

not sure if this is accurate depending on the discharge curve of the battery

-Dan

Yes 80Ah is just too much for this small amplifier.
Have in mind that you calculate this for the whole capacity of the battery, but the battery mush NOT be discharged lower than 25%. So it won't last 40h but much less. I would safely say about 3-5 hours of continuous operation and maybe more, which is more than fine for a day listenning. Then you can recharge the batteries at night.

but come one... who has so much time to listen so much music per day, so maybe you need to charge them every two days? :)

By making an automatic charging circuit as described above you will never have in mind about charging the batteries any more :)

Since we all have to think about ecology these days, the people that have solar pannels at home can charge the batteries slowly from the pannels and then consume bigger power from the batteries. You are saving energy this way and this is another pros of the battery PSU ;)

Last edited:
Ralf!

What do you use for DAC? The PC sound card? M-Audio?
Is the PC not noisy? I mean mehanical and electrcal too?

Greets:

Tyimo

Hi,

no, my PC is dead silent. Seting up a silent PC ist no problem today.
I use the DAC`s of the soundcards.
I change between different cards like Terratec, Lynx, etc, which have very good DACS onbord. If you look at the specs- you dont find an amp, which can deliver sn/ratios etc. of a good soundcard.

With my speakers, which have a sensitivity of about 112db w/m you hardly can hear minimal noise. There is no buzz or hum.

best,

Battery supply of Le Monstre

Hi together,

this are my experiences of Battery Supply with Monstres:
I used two SLA Batteries, buffered with 2 farad. I could switch between Battery and standard PSU (regulated), while musik was playing.

in my setup i clould hardly hear any diferences.
If you look in the web- most people recommend SLA Batteries.
Car Batteries produce GAS, which can expolde! If you have no possibility for ventilating car batteries in a living room - dont use it, even if it`s much cheaper.

I use SLA Batteries for my T-Amps, because it`s cheaper than a good regulated PSU. My T-Amps, driven with digital psu didn`s sound better or bader the with batteries.

One thing to monstres:
After Monstres i build some JLH 2003 Version.
I dont know, why so less people give JLH a chanace.
It was much clearer than Monstre and had more impact.
Monstre was a litte bit too smooth and reluctant for my personal taste in my setup to that time.

best,

monster

hi "monster lovers",
I show my home made monster "octopus" (built in '89 base on AF Nr27/29/31),

Total: 8 (=4x2) monster units, (with pré-amp en actif filter kaneda),
Tr, 2SC1775/2SC74/2SK170/2SA872/2SB716/2SD756=2SD844=2SD718/2SB754,
Stable operation (DC-output),
Total capa appr 1 F ( with power of 45" music),
Power supply:
First: with (big) batteries (floating psu with LM338 with correct ventilation), annual electricity cost "exorbitant" (problems with WAF),
Second: with transfo 500VA (no regulation and a pleasant WAF),

In fine:
Great music scène (deep low & fine high) , with full 4-way horn system,
One musical note: since i use a (home made) OTL my "octopus-monster" is in the garage (a beatiful vintage monster)....

Greatings from Brussels,
Allez, salukes
Karel

Attachments

• 485AMP.JPG
    485AMP.JPG
    587.2 KB · Views: 945
  • 486FILTCAP.JPG
    486FILTCAP.JPG
    598.8 KB · Views: 907
Neazoi!
Where did you buy those nice big heatshinks and aluminium case?

Tyimo

Nice pair, isn't it?

Finding the heatsink was difficult. It is taken out from an old 200Watt FM radio amplifier and it cost me 40 Euros! (ouch). It is much more than this amplifier needs but it will ensure a cool running operation.

The front pannel is from a commercial kit box and it is made of anodized aluminum. It has two little lines at the edges so they give it a good design.

The holders have been taken out of an old compaq pro-liant rack mountable computer server and they have been a bit polished.

The on/off switch uses a key lock, which has been bought from a local electronics shop.

Finally, I could not decide what colour led to put on the front pannel so I have chosen an automatic colour changing led, which progressively switches in 16 colours :)

hi "monster lovers",
I show my home made monster "octopus" (built in '89 base on AF Nr27/29/31),

Total: 8 (=4x2) monster units, (with pré-amp en actif filter kaneda),
Tr, 2SC1775/2SC74/2SK170/2SA872/2SB716/2SD756=2SD844=2SD718/2SB754,
Stable operation (DC-output),
Total capa appr 1 F ( with power of 45" music),
Power supply:
First: with (big) batteries (floating psu with LM338 with correct ventilation), annual electricity cost "exorbitant" (problems with WAF),
Second: with transfo 500VA (no regulation and a pleasant WAF),

In fine:
Great music scène (deep low & fine high) , with full 4-way horn system,
One musical note: since i use a (home made) OTL my "octopus-monster" is in the garage (a beatiful vintage monster)....

Greatings from Brussels,
Allez, salukes
Karel

I enjoy seeing these pictures of yours, nice work.
But I can see some bad quality components on the amplifier, which is maybe the reason for some of your problems?

The most important thing for this degration I think is that you used the amplifier with the octopus preamplifier. I have no idea about this circuit but I can see plenty of low quality caps on it which may not be good.
There is no need to degrade the direct coupled topology of the le monstre by using a full-of-caps preamplifier. Have you ever tried it directly from the CD, without using a preamplifier?

The only thing I am worying about the le monstre is that it is a push pull circuit, so cross distortion may occur. Does anyone have some comments on this???

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi together,

this are my experiences of Battery Supply with Monstres:
I used two SLA Batteries, buffered with 2 farad. I could switch between Battery and standard PSU (regulated), while musik was playing.

in my setup i clould hardly hear any diferences.
If you look in the web- most people recommend SLA Batteries.
Car Batteries produce GAS, which can expolde! If you have no possibility for ventilating car batteries in a living room - dont use it, even if it`s much cheaper.

I use SLA Batteries for my T-Amps, because it`s cheaper than a good regulated PSU. My T-Amps, driven with digital psu didn`s sound better or bader the with batteries.

One thing to monstres:
After Monstres i build some JLH 2003 Version.
I dont know, why so less people give JLH a chanace.
It was much clearer than Monstre and had more impact.
Monstre was a litte bit too smooth and reluctant for my personal taste in my setup to that time.

best,

I have built a JLH 2003 - I agree it is a very good amplifier.

Personally I thought the monster was slightly better - but i think perhaps speakers make a big difference as always.

PS Neazoi, dont worry about cross over distortion it is class A so each transistor is always conducting and does not "switch off"

-Dan

I have built a JLH 2003 - I agree it is a very good amplifier.

Personally I thought the monster was slightly better - but i think perhaps speakers make a big difference as always.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

whats about your le classe A?
i never read something about a comparison to your le monstre.
Seems you were a little bit disapointed with the le classe a in comparison to le monstre?
I am just assembling all the parts i need for 6 Le Classe A and 6 Pass F5 for active mode of my horns, because i have some big Toroids lying around from a former project.
I will use a capacitance multipler as PSU.
i`m curious how they will compare..

Joined 2005
Paid Member
yeah i have a set of F5 boards on the way... very nice circuit.. interesting for sure.

actually the le class A is very very good and has alot of power really enough to go very loud in my house.. but the le monstre is just a little bit better sounding in my opinion.... only slightly though :)

-Dan

Hi,

which homemade OTL`s did you make?

Ralf

hi ralf,
it's a "trancendent" otl,
basic T8, and upgradet to T12 (and enough psu-power for a beast),
actually in "beta" execution,
all with "normal/non-exotic" components (simply, what I had on the shelf),
see by google friend:
Picasa-webalbums - KAREL - OTL T8 VESALIUS
(I hope this help)

great music,

allez, salukes,
karel

hi ralf,
basic T8, and upgradet to T12 (and enough psu-power for a beast),
actually in "beta" execution,
all with "normal/non-exotic" components (simply, what I had on the shelf),
see by google friend:
(I hope this help)

great music,

allez, salukes,
karel

Thank you very much!
since OTL ist out of hiraga topic, i dont want to discuss it here.
can you mail me more informations about such an amp? schematics, etc.

ralf.stegmueller@gmx.net

best wishes,

Ralf

I enjoy seeing these pictures of yours, nice work.
But I can see some bad quality components on the amplifier, which is maybe the reason for some of your problems?

Hi costas,
I appreciate:
yours "eagle eyes"
and also your very large (practical) info on your site (even "the" monster),

but, note that I have "no problems" (technical and of course "musical") with my 4-way-home-made-monster and the components,

fyi:
I built it in ...'84 (cfr AF27 a-o), i time with no internet and a nice DIY forum,
my scoop was to built a 4-way-actif-amp,
I choose for Kaneda (pre-amp and filter) and akiba (cfr hiraga) or 8-monsters (simply),
I used only "on the shelf" components,
and of course, with a actif (kaneda) filter ... you have some "caps" in the signal circuit ....
are those components "bad" ! I don't think so (in a 4-way-actif-system),
even, with an other same (friend of mine) 4-way monster and with other more "high-end" components (more Euros or Bf) there wasn't a significant musical result in vivo,

of course, you have a point (and i know it very well): "avoid caps in the signal way", but it's not easy and irrealist to have "none",

in fine:
about (monster) pp-concept I have n.c.,
every electronic system has is own (electronic/musical) deformation,
my experience: built and tune it in a correct way, and with other (SE) concept compare it in vivo (and blind) in the listening-audio-room (same audio conditions),

allez, salukes, and best regards

karel

(one good musical note: in your site the "art-order-contact" is not actif)

hi ralf,
(I hope this help)

great music,

allez, salukes,
karel

I am impressed about your system! what horns...
I like your idea of using radio valves for doing the work, I have done that successively on the designing of the "diamond" preamplifier projects

I aggree I do not want to spend more time on this, although very interesting, as the chat here is about the little monster we are trying to build :)

I am very very curious to compare the le monstre with the ferarri amplifier (cuffoli's design) which can be found in the above url, since I have most of the parts for it...

Speaker cables for le monstre

Well I have found some 0.6mm diameter silver wires and I would like to ask you if these are ok to be used as speaker cables for the le monstre or if it needs greater diameter wires (or two wires in parallel for each pole).
Each speaker distance from the amplifier would be about 2m.