Hiraga "Le Monstre"

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just tried 0.5A bias level, it works in a very similar way. however the amplifier runs alot cooler and the high freqnecy performance is degraded slighty

i think this is due to the choice of output transistors, these seem to be much faster @ 1A than 0.5A......

hmm which way to go...

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just tried 0.5A bias level, it works in a very similar way. however the amplifier runs alot cooler and the high freqnecy performance is degraded slighty

i think this is due to the choice of output transistors, these seem to be much faster @ 1A than 0.5A......

hmm which way to go...

Hi Dan,

This is interesting, since as you may recall I had issues with the output transistors on my last Le Monstre build. (In my case altering the feedback resistor to reduce the gain helped the sound a lot, although I'm still not convinced I have the optimum value). Overall, I am more interested in doing this circuit with modern equivalents than with the original parts, so if the optimal bias with modern output transistors is higher than Hiraga found that
would be useful info, especially since here they appear to be the only thing that isn't original...

Keep us posted !

Cheers

Nigel

Joined 2005
Paid Member
bobodioulasso: hahahaa working for about 4 hours.
myself working for too long in the lab :)

Nigel: yes i remember now, the circuit is all original up to the output stage.
I will have to try this setup again with the resistor i used the last time i built a le monstre.... it has much less of a inductive nature.

It would really be nice to build this with some easy to source parts.
I dont see and issue with this just time and research... prior to doing that i think i will se how well this version drives my speakers/sounds

-Dan

bobodioulasso: hahahaa working for about 4 hours.
myself working for too long in the lab :)

Nigel: yes i remember now, the circuit is all original up to the output stage.
I will have to try this setup again with the resistor i used the last time i built a le monstre.... it has much less of a inductive nature.

It would really be nice to build this with some easy to source parts.
I dont see and issue with this just time and research... prior to doing that i think i will se how well this version drives my speakers/sounds

-Dan

Daniel, you blew up the resistors? Do they overheat so much?

I can send you another quad for free if you like.

What do you mean by so reactive?

Neazoi,
A kind of autobias can be done simply using a thermistor across the biasing resistors (increased in this case) such as in the Nelson Pass F5. The thermistor sensing the output devices temperature which follows the bias current.

Thermal feedback works ok but it is not so direct (wou have to wait for the heatsink to heat/cool to change the bias) and it compensates for the THERMAL drifting (warm up).
In the battery-only operation what is more important is to compensate for the VOLTAGE differences as the battery gets discharged. An LDR may solve this quickly, if someone design the system properly.

Last edited:
I am worried a bit about the internal junction temperature. The heat does not get dissipated directly from the heatsink, so if you push the transistor too much it may be destroyed..

Yes i agree. But increasing slowly, step by step, the bias and allowing the heatsink to warm up and checking its temp - assuming the devices are properly mounted - should permit to aproach the limit.