What sounds better than Hiraga?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ok guys,

I know it's very subjective, but I would like to start a new build. I am the happy owner of a Hiraga 30 Watt Class A amplifier. It sounds so sweet! I honestly don't know what could compare or sound even better than the one I built.

But, I must keep going:D The DIY-er in me is shouting! I just do not want to build something that sounds mediocre. I want to built something that will sound better and sweeter than my Hiraga.

I use it with the DCB1 preamp(Salas) whitch is slightly hotrodded(200mA)

So, I need some expert input from all you DIY-ers ;) I hope you guys can convince me to build something awesome :cool:

My soldering station is ready to come out of hiding :eek::p

Ah ok, so Pass is the way to go. I was wondering about those. The F6 looks like it is worth a try. Any other ideas?

The F6 is the latest offering from Nelson Pass and some even call it the poor mans SIT amp. A lot depends on your speakers and the kind of sound you are after but after building 3 of the Firstwatt Diy offerings the F6 is by far to me the best sounding. The Aleph J has a different sound and may be what you are after in sound, they are different. Both are good choices.

"I want to take your HIGH'ER"

High dynamics from a "fast" current feedback circuit topology.
High current from 5-pairs of bipolar outputs.
High transient headroom from +/- 75V power supply.
High success thanks to PCBs and many working examples.
-------
The Hiraga Super ClassA is a simple Current Feedback topology amplifier with modest power.

The Krypton ND is high power Current Feedback amplifier with modest circuit complexity.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/248105-slewmaster-cfa-vs-vfa-rumble.html

PCBs available.
High activity thread.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Good question. The old Hiraga 20W was the best I ever tried at dealing with double stacked Quad ESL panels. Not an easy load.
Was, you don't use it now?

I built a 20W Hiraga a few months ago with some Sankens and a few select small signal components, and 'found' something I thought I lost years ago.

I'm using it as a bass amp which I've heard may not be using it to the full, but I'm using SET elsewhere.. tough decision.

It's all subjective. Built Pass F5, Hiraga20watt, JLH1996 and de-rated version of Krell KSA50. All using virtually the same power supply24-0-24DC. I will probably get berated, but I preferred them in the reverse order I have listed. I am still using the Krell clone. As I said, all personal taste, what suits one may not suit another. Just my opinion.
Alan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Was, you don't use it now?
Oh no, that was long ago and far away. :) Back when the circuit was first published. I had also built it as a bass amp, then tried it on double stacked Quad panels. It was by far the best behaved and most pleasant amp we tried on the panels, no matter the topology or technology. It sounds more "tube like" than a lot of tube amps.

My friend who owned the panels simply bought the commercial model from Lectron and was very happy with it. They were built for a short while. Nice amp.

I don't know how a Pass F5 or F6 would react to double stacked panels, but it would be worth finding out. 20 watts at 8 ohms of Class-A was more than enough power for double stacked panels in a normal sized room.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If I can rightly recall my headspace, I was seeing the Hiraga as making the best of common emitter rather than emitter follower operation. I accept this would come down to distortion especially with a low feedback amp.. but of course with amps this could mean what they don't do as much as it could refer to what they add. I feel the former is what I noticed as I've reduced the gain by increasing the feedback and not suffered as a result.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Krell KSA-50, Aleph 5 or F5. The Krell still rules the roost, and plays very nicely with my 2+2.

At first I didn't like the Aleph 5, then (years later) I drove it with balanced inputs instead of thru RCA SE, and I was truly impressed...don't know exactly why... but I was about to sell it but now keeping it. Very simple build too. Now I have to finish my Aleph P...

I have the newer JLH, and it also sounds very good...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.