What sounds better than Hiraga?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
What a pity only a few people did try to use CLC instead of the usual CRC for the hiraga.
When i did buy the parts for my hiraga in paris 30 years ago i did ask them if i could use the choke used in their nemesis amp and some high powered 50 watt class A.
They said surely but they did not publish this idea because it did require changing the chassis that they were selling as well!
In the attachment you can see the choke connection in their kaneda preamp.
The photo is the biggest lundahl choke availsble for class A power amp and some surplus chokes made by telefunken. One is 2× 97mH , the other one 2×660mH.
Surely more filtering than 0,5 ohm!
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• kanedap.gif
    kanedap.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 757
  • 20151024_120731.jpg
    20151024_120731.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 768
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This thread has ceased to be

Hello,
The sound quality of the Hiraga amp depends a lot on the power supply. At the time i did build mine ( 1985) all parts were available in France. Now even with the worldwide web it is a bit tricky to find the right parts.,
Of course one could use the same '' topology '' using different parts but if you read all the original publications on these amp you will see that they spend a lot of time finding the right '' mix ''
The chokes i did use at that time were about 40$ a piece. You did need 2 for a stereo amp. The lundahls are a bit more expensive. I dont know if you can use them in the way that the French did use their double winding choke in their famous Kaneda preamp. If you can you will only need one.
My surplus chokes were just 30$ and they offer a better filtering. The high number mH will of course have a bigger voltage drop than the power resistor in the original set up. If i remember well it is 2 ohm for each coil. The lower inductance one is just 0,3 ohm for one coil so very similar to the original resistor.
I will p[robably use them in the dddac that will take some current too if you will use multiple boards and some shunts as well.
Greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Eduard, thanks for your good input. But the question was what sounds better than the Hiraga Amp. Ofcourse we can make the Hiraga even better with these chokes. But my question is answered in a way. If you want to convince people to use those chokes, try the Hiraga thread.

I will put those chokes in!!! So thanks for the good advice!

Kind regards,
Sjoerd

... and don't forget to swap the caps for the good values before to have an idea or an exact reference for the next amp for a proper benchmark !

- don't forgett as well to supress the two 100 nF caps (very bad idea to gave such value on the BOM ! I adviced you a value and a cap above just for the second cap banks. On the genuine BOM, the 2.2 uF if I don't make a mistake was the smooth SCR 2.2 uF : specific sounding (really very smooth for a MKP) : I don't advise to putt a MKP of today but better the 1500 uF I talked above with the 5 mm space between leads for a better inductance (transcient) : try with and without !

Then Build a NX and please say to us which is the best for our information ( I have myself an amp biased at 95 V and yes the transcient is good !) ! If the NX is best you will have no problem to sold your Hiraga with the new recaping :) !

good luck to you

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I did read the articles i do have about the design of the Hiraga and the '' Le Monstre ''amp written by the man himself. Each of them did go through several design stages and in the end they always ended up spending more money on the power supply.
I did ask Per Lundahl about using the LL2733 or LL1694 in the same way as pictured in my post a few days back. His answer:
Regarding the common mode schematic:
The idea with a choke connected in "common-mode block" is that you normally have the same current in both coils. As there are bypasses (through ground) you must make sure that both sides are loaded equally.
If you do, yes LL2733/LL1694 should work.
Of course everybody is waiting for another person to invest some money in a choke and tell the other it is a good idea.
You could also decide to buy a pair of them. Put the the coils in parallel and have one choke in the - and the other one in the + that will surely work! I had mine that way.
Greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Update:

I have built the Ovation NX. And I must say that it is just better than the Hiraga in dynamics, soundstage and ofcourse power. I am very happy with the choice that I made with your help!

So yes, this NX is better than the Hiraga. For me that is.

Happy building!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.