What sounds better than Hiraga?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There was a 50 W Class A by Hiraga in la Revue du Son if I remember or la Revue de l'Audiophile ?

Non DIY but how could play a Chord amp with panels ? or even an Hypex ?

How now could they play if we input a good H2 with some DHT pre ???

I believe maybe a Némésis or Le Monstre could be even more transparent than the 20 W class A.... but they are low output (around 8 W !)...

Did someone benchmarked a F6 and a Hiraga Class A 20 W ?

I'm surprised to see design with the Class A with 10 mF caps ? This is not only about the amount of the final F but huge caps have also a nicer ESR ! ( I was thinking about caps like the 47 000 uF Philips 136... though It was not th original brand Hiraga used to have into the 20 W, but he used to putt huge uF caps with some reasons?!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I wonder if a nemesis is more transparent. You are probably right if you compare it with a standard 30 watt Hiraga. But mine is not standard anymore. Instead of noisy zeners I use a super low noise regulated supply. That makes a HUGE difference!!!! Zeners are messy that way. Before that, I also devided them into 3 x 7.2 volt ones because that was less noisy than one 22 volts one. standard Hiraga's sound very different than mine because of this big change. It was a tip from a friend that works at Hypex. so I went for it! Man does that improve the soundstage!!!!

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm surprised to see design with the Class A with 10 mF caps ? This is not only about the amount of the final F but huge caps have also a nicer ESR ! ( I was thinking about caps like the 47 000 uF Philips 136... though It was not th original brand Hiraga used to have into the 20 W, but he used to putt huge uF caps with some reasons?!

I am surprised too of 10000uf....My Hiraga Super Class A used C-R-C with each C = 33000uF and low ESR. I wonder at which capacity bank characteristics we start to "hear" less audio benefits for this amp.... Or maybe the use of independent supply for the input stage has an impact too...

Fab

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The 20 watt did have 6 68.000mF 25 volts made by sic safco
The 30 watt did have the same 68.000mF right after the rectifier and 4 330.000 mF made by CEF for La maison de l'audiophile in Paris.
In my 30 watt hiraga one of the 68.000 did cease to exist after a few years. They were used very close to their voltage ratings. After some time the 330.000 mF were out of stock. And then they just did start using 6 100.000 mF 40 volts also made by Sic safco.
The nemesis did have some limitations in the lower spectrum.
The 50 watt Kaneda were very tricky to build. To complicated for most amateurs.
The 20 and 30 watt Hiraga with the original parts like shinkoh resistors and original transistor and a big power supply was always a nice option.
I never did hear the Nelson pass designs but if i ever built a new solid state amp i would go for that one because all the parts the designer did use are still available.
I have all the publications about the Hiraga amp and i know they did spend a lot of time making it the way it is. Just replacing the transistor with recent ones will not give you the same amp.
Yes, the 30 watt runs hot so you need speaker protection to protect them from dc. if you are using 100 euro full range just repoair the amp and buy a new speaker but when using Altec 15 inch better have some kind of protection
I would SURELY use a lundahl filament choke in the power supply.
Greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
input stage sypply

I am surprised too of 10000uf....My Hiraga Super Class A used C-R-C with each C = 33000uF and low ESR. I wonder at which capacity bank characteristics we start to "hear" less audio benefits for this amp.... Or maybe the use of independent supply for the input stage has an impact too...

Fab

the use of an independent supply for the input stage does have a really big impact! that is what I stated here. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I use 4 x 22000uF/63volt slitfoil BMC capacitors in my PSU per rail in combination with a 600VA toroid of very good quality. My input stage has a separate toroid of 40VA that powers a Kubota regulator. This is enough for this amp.

Last edited:
If I remember the genuine ones was Sic Safco now I read its name above... not sure, have to re read La revue de l'Audiophile ! Hiraga wanted huge cap not to have regulated supply ! One is better for mid-treble (regulated) but he found the simple big caps worked better for bass & transcient ... or the opposite ! Or was it just with Némésis... read this 20 years ago, can't remember very well !

The CEFs are the red ones ?

But Proves are in the pudding !

Last edited:
Hi Guys

"What sounds better than Hiraga?"

Nothing. Some things. Everything. It is entirely up to the listener.

You should look at Andrew Russell's site Hifisonix and see the Ovation-NX amp, a class-A amp similar to the Hiraga.

Others will tell you to check out Pass amps and the JLH10, but those have relatively "sloppy" sound compared the amps above.Again, subjective...

Have fun

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ovation-NX

Hi Guys

"What sounds better than Hiraga?"

Nothing. Some things. Everything. It is entirely up to the listener.

You should look at Andrew Russell's site Hifisonix and see the Ovation-NX amp, a class-A amp similar to the Hiraga.

Others will tell you to check out Pass amps and the JLH10, but those have relatively "sloppy" sound compared the amps above.Again, subjective...

Have fun

Hi Struth,

This is gonna be the one I'm going to build! Thanks for this.

I asked Bonsai(Andrew) if the 10 volt zeners can be replaced by 12 Volt Hypex HxR regulators. I think that would make a huge difference.

Ordered the boards!!!!

So now I will turn to this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/236522-sx-amp-nx-amp.html for my build :D

Thanks all for the good advice all!

Happy building!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the good advice all!

Happy building!!!!

DiyAudio Store and Mr Pass prepare new push-pull
complementary semiconductor triodes pair Sony Vfet amp kit :
transistors and pcb's limited edition you can buy it in near future
probably novembre or decembre ? Stay in tune for the last news..
If i can recommended interesting project this one is a keeper :spin:

i know they did spend a lot of time making it the way it is.

Around '85, list price of the ready-built 20W was $2k, the 30W did ~$3k, not exactly cheap amps then (1985 exchange rate)
Individual parts at the Paris shop were also pretty expensive, in a relative sense.

(almost bought the red edition for half-price at Multifoon in Delft a couple of years later, high depreciation items then)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.