diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 12:53 AM   #291
diyAudio Member

Default Orientation of D3?

The orientation of D3 is not shown on either the board, or on the schematics. Judging from my limited understanding, I think current is supposed to flow from R19 to D1, D2, R4, etc. In which case the band on my diode goes on the side facing the jumper, and the letters "LTP". I just wanted to check before I soldered this in place.
I'm surprised so one has asked this question yet.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:38 AM   #292
diyAudio Member

See this jpeg ... should help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSD3.jpg (284.6 KB, 496 views)
Old 30th April 2013, 08:04 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Audiofan.
It's a good thing I asked. I guessed wrong.
-Byron
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:07 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

Default Source for R43 – R48?

The Honey Badger BOM specifies Nobel-brand resistors for R43 to R48, the 0.22R power resistors. In Post #42, Danielwritesback posted a BOM with a link to a vendor for these, Analog Metric, in Hong Kong. Analog Metric no longer sells these. An e-mail asking about them got the response “We have KOA 0.22R 5W in stock. Please advise if this is ok.” A visit to KOA’s web sited showed that KOA Speer doesn’t have a suitable replacement for the Nobel RGC3 or RGC5.
Unfortunately, the pads for these resistors are too close together to accommodate any other resistor I’ve found. Of course, conventional wirewound resistors can be used, standing them up on end, but I’d rather have the Nobel resistors.
Nobel’s web site http://www.nobleusa.com/pdf/rgb-rgg.pdf has the resistors, and a list of distributors, but so far none that I’ve contacted have responded to my e-mail asking for a quote for 25 of them. I think these distributors are set up to sell to manufacturers who buy thousands at a time.
So the question is: Has anyone found either a replacement for the Nobel resistors for R43 to R48, or a source for the Nobel brand?
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:57 PM   #295
Lukky is offline Lukky  United States
diyAudio Member

Default non-noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronInLawrence View Post
The Honey Badger BOM specifies Nobel-brand resistors for R43 to R48, the 0.22R power resistors. ...
I used these: LVR05R2200FE12 Vishay/Dale | Mouser

No problems. Sounds awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg input_stage_med.jpg (233.3 KB, 410 views)
Old 5th May 2013, 09:47 PM   #296
Juvenal is offline Juvenal  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello guys,

I am pretty new around here, and this is my first build.

I wanted to share what I have so far and see what you guys think!

Warning: there are a whole lot of really large images!
Honey Badger Amp

That has most of the images I took, but the rest can be found HERE

It's not completely finished yet, still on the list is:
  • SLB Grounding
  • LDR Volume control for Mezmerize
  • Chassis/transformer for Mezmerize

What do you guys think of it so far?

Thanks,
Juvenal

Last edited by Juvenal; 5th May 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 5th May 2013, 10:10 PM   #297
diyAudio Member

Very nice. I got the same chassis. It looks like it's a lot bigger than it needs to be. Maybe I'll have to add another couple of channels to fill all that empty space up!
It looks like you opted for no VAS heatsink. I got aluminum sheet metal from here: 7075 Aluminum Solid Sheet, Annealed, 0.08" Thick, 4" Width, 4" Length, Pack Of 6: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific . The stuff available from the hardware store was too thin.
I don't believe this this is your first build.
Old 5th May 2013, 11:05 PM   #298
Juvenal is offline Juvenal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I got the same chassis. It looks like it's a lot bigger than it needs to be.
Yes, its definitely very large in there. I was debating whether or not to try and put the mezmerize in there, or a separate chassis. I feel like putting it in a separate chassis would be better for any potential interference, but there is definitely enough room to fit it.

Quote:
It looks like you opted for no VAS heatsink.
I did, simply because I could not find anything suitable quickly at a local store. If it becomes an issue I will definitely look harder.

Quote:
I don't believe this this is your first build.
Well, its my first amp build, but I am not new to DIY or soldering by any means
http://i.juvsoft.com/solderingex.jpg - those pins are at 0.5mm pitch (center to center)
Old 6th May 2013, 07:46 AM   #299
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If Mez were remotely controllable them it could make some operational sense to build an integrated amplifier.

If the Mez is hand operated, either selector or volume, then the "pre-amp" should be located where you can reach it easily, maybe next to your listening seat.
That then allows you to put the power amp where it can perform best. Right behind the speaker it is driving, with the shortest possible amp to driver twisted pair.
Old 6th May 2013, 07:26 PM   #300
Wembley is offline Wembley  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Honey Badger BOM specifies Nobel-brand resistors for R43 to R48, the 0.22R power resistors. In Post #42, Danielwritesback posted a BOM with a link to a vendor for these, Analog Metric, in Hong Kong. Analog Metric no longer sells these. An e-mail asking about them got the response “We have KOA 0.22R 5W in stock. Please advise if this is ok.” A visit to KOA’s web sited showed that KOA Speer doesn’t have a suitable replacement for the Nobel RGC3 or RGC5.
Unfortunately, the pads for these resistors are too close together to accommodate any other resistor I’ve found. Of course, conventional wirewound resistors can be used, standing them up on end, but I’d rather have the Nobel resistors.
Nobel’s web site http://www.nobleusa.com/pdf/rgb-rgg.pdf has the resistors, and a list of distributors, but so far none that I’ve contacted have responded to my e-mail asking for a quote for 25 of them. I think these distributors are set up to sell to manufacturers who buy thousands at a time.
So the question is: Has anyone found either a replacement for the Nobel resistors for R43 to R48, or a source for the Nobel brand?
I have ordered what appears to be a suitable substitute from AnalogMetric. The URL is:

Cement 0.2 Ohm 5W Non-inductance Resistor_Cement_Resistor_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

Seems to roughly fit the bill, have about the right pinout and be from a supplier that might be more reliable than ebay.

There are some high quality options out there already mentioned if you don't mind vertical mounting a more standard resistor shape. Building my own amplifier seems a bit like madness at the moment, but I'm going to have a play anyway. What's the worst that could happen? :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!