Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2011, 09:19 AM   #131
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Byron, post96:
don't power up just yet.
Go back and review the resistors across the PSU supply rails.

2k0 dissipates ~ 60V^2 / 2k = 1W8.
The pair of 2k bleeders will dissipate an extra 3W6 inside the case.
The 2k bleeders will draw an extra 30mAdc from the PSU. This will increase the ripple voltage on the PSU and gives no performance gain to the amplifier.

The 500r for the LED dissipates ~[2*60 - 2]^2 / 500 = 28W. Fortunately the LED blew up long before the resistor set fire to the amplifier.

Last edited by AndrewT; 23rd September 2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:22 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Default Andrew have made interesting suggestion Byron

Take a good look about his points...i have not tested because extremely busy i am... i am doing exercises all day long..outside home...i am gaining weight even after gastric bypass and i am in panic... i am in a struggle to loose weight and using bike almost all day long.

Please, about any doubt, post direct questions and as soon as possible i will answer you.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The bike.jpg (852.0 KB, 860 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 23rd September 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:52 PM   #133
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer X View Post
Take a good look about his points...i have not tested because extremely busy i am... i am doing exercises all day long..outside home...i am gaining weight even after gastric bypass and i am in panic... i am in a struggle to loose weight and using bike almost all day long.

Please, about any doubt, post direct questions and as soon as possible i will answer you.

regards,

Carlos
Focus on your food groups , it's not just about the exercise, you have to change your diet and amt..
Old 25th September 2011, 03:49 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Byron, post96:
don't power up just yet.
Go back and review the resistors across the PSU supply rails.
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for checking my work for me. So, you actually built it? I just now put in the LED and its 500ohm resistor and the 500ohm resistor started slowly smoking. So you think 1Kohm and 500ohm are too low values? Another poster thought 2K ohm was too much for a bleeder. I have a nice article by Elliott Sounds lab about linear PS design which I've been too lazy to read carefully.
Elliott Sound Products - Linear Power Supply Design I'll have to read it again and o the math this time. I will say that the LED stayed on for a looooooooong time after switching the power off.

I do have a question: I measured the VDC from positive-ground at +58V, and negative-ground at -58V. So I figure the voltage across positive to negative, skipping ground, should be 116 VDC, but it's almost nothing, ~0.01V, both with and without a 2Kohm, 3W resistor across them (I've heard that some voltmeters will not measure voltage accurately unless a little bit of current is running). If this measurement is correct, how does 0.01V cause a 500ohm resistor to smoke? Is my voltmeter working correctly?
Old 25th September 2011, 04:18 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

was your voltage meter set for measuring AC or DC voltage?

Now back to that slightly smoking resistor !

the LED has a Vf~2V.
The 116Vdc across the supply is split between the resistor and the LED. The resistor sees 116-2 ~114Vdc.
The resistor dissipation is 114^2 / 500 or approximately 26W, only "slightly smoking"?
The current passing through the LED is ~=114/500 = 0.228A or about 228mA. What is the maximum current for the LED?
Old 25th September 2011, 05:25 PM   #136
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Current limiting Resistor calculator for leds

LED current:
20mA will work for most regular LED's.
Superbright LED's can go from 30mA to several Amps.

In Byron's PSU he need a 6Kohm 2W resistor in series to LED?

Last edited by Junie; 25th September 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 25th September 2011, 07:19 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

I guess I missed something - what LED are you guys talking about??? I don't see an LED on the latest (downloaded 9/20) schematic or bom.
Old 26th September 2011, 04:50 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

While populating one of my boards I made notes of mistakes I made or things I would have done differently. Here they are:
  • C08, C11 and C15 are too close together for the caps I chose to fit nicely, but they're reeeeeeely close. My solution was to insert the middle one last, and move it to the left just a bit, which requires raising it off the board a few mm and bending the leads.
  • For R10 and R19 I chose 1/2W. I don't remember why Maybe I had a good reason but regardless, they are too long and the leads too thick.
  • R22 should be 4.7ohm, not 2.7ohm.
  • The leads for C09 are further apart than the holes in the board.
  • I don't like the terminal blocks I chose. The wire slips out with a gentle tug.
  • The ceramic disk capacitors I chose for most on the non-polar caps have their leads a little too far apart. I like the block-shaped caps Junie showed in his photos.
These are in addition to the suggestions made by canonnica in post #122

Junie: Thanks for the link to the cool LED resistor calculator. It won't work for rail voltages >32V, but even if my rails were only 32V I would need 3X the resistance I currently have! Knowing this I'll estimate ~2500ohms.

Sandbasser: I posted a schematic of my power supply, and people were kind enough to comment on it. There is no LED on the board.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:24 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronInLawrence View Post
LED resistor calculator. It won't work for rail voltages >32V,
Vsupply = Vled (Vf) + Vresistor.

If you want 12mA through the LED then you turn the equation around to get:
Vresistor =Vsupply -Vled = 116 -2 = 114Vdc
Vresistor = Rresistor * Iresistor (=Iled) = 114V
rearrange again:
Rresistor = 114 / Iresistor = 114 / 0.012 = 9500. Use 10k

If you require more LED current then substitute the alternative value for 0.012 in that last equation.

If you insert a high value Zener in series with the LED, then you can manipulate the brightness of the LED as supply voltage varies.

Last edited by AndrewT; 26th September 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 26th September 2011, 02:55 PM   #140
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default a bit of update

Click the image to open in full size.

I will customized a heatsink..by saturday I will put it all up together.

Hide this!Advertise here!